Page 25 of 45 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedcas View Post
    Here's the set-up in my '08 Altima. Pretty standard, with the Touchstone attached to a Pro-Clip mount with Velcro. It works great, and is at a great viewing angle.
    Also using a non-Palm generic charger from Wally World, it fit the Touchstone without trimming, and charges the Pre while using Dr. Podder thru the Motorola T501 on my commute.
    What cigarette lighter adapter did you use?
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    What cigarette lighter adapter did you use?
    this one:
    It's one my wife used on her Centro, then her current phone, the Moment. I just swapped out the heads. I had been using a generic charger plugged directly into the Pre, and that charged fine as well, but the head was too large to fit the Touchstone. I figured I'd give the other one a try before buying the official Palm charger. Glad I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have successfully mounted my Palm Pre and the Touchstone Charger for use in my car. Here is what I used:

Palm Pre Vehicle Power Charger
    Touchstone
    iGrip Universal Swivel Mount

The iGrip Mount comes with a round plastic disk that you mount to the dash using the supplied double sided tape. (or you can use velcro or an adhesive if you wish). I peeled the sticky tape "donut" off the bottom of the touchstone and cleaned off the rest of the adhesive with fingernail polish remover. I disassembled the touchstone (3 tiny screws on the bottom) Using a small 3/4" flat headed screw, I attached the bottom plastic "cover" of the touchstone to the center of the Swivel mount's face. I covered the exposed flat head screw with electrical tape. I placed a few drops of crazy glue along the edge of the now attached bottom plastic cover and assembled the remaining touchstone to the Swivel Mount.

The beauty of this assembley is that it looks proferssional (hello.... why didnt you think of this before palm?) Its easily transferable from car to desktop to office. And speaking of office...with the mount placed on my desk at work it looks like a piece of art. My Palm Pre get a lot of attention now.

Ive had no problems with the Pre falling off. (the "tilt" angle can be easily adjusted using the mount) It stays put and it charges!

Dash Mount.jpg

iGrip and Touchstone.jpg

Disk Mounted to Dash.jpg

Desktop Pre Mount.jpg
    Last edited by stephenjxn; 03/08/2010 at 11:34 PM.
    Stephenjxn, superb job!!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    The Ultimate Car Charger:
    I did this a while ago but just discovered there was a thread about people posting there home-made TS car chargers so I thought I might as well as join in on the fun. I did this because not only does my car have a shelf-like dash that begs for something to be put on but at the time (when it first came out) I wanted to show off the ability of the phone to charge wireless and also to be able to use the ease and functionality of it in the car as well as at home. I had to do some tweaking, such as taking the center console apart, heating up a razor blade until red hot and slicing/melting through the backside of the squishy high density foam due to the fact that the bottom of the TS is elliptical and was just a little long to fit perfectly in the tray as is (this is seen in the side view pics, if you look close the rear end of the TS is nestled in the back of the tray). Then all I had to do was cleanly run some wires and the phone, in either position, just barely cleared the potential top and bottom clearance issues. Needless to say it was like a match made in portable wireless-charging heaven . Soon I'm planning on getting a bluetooth head-unit so I can totally omit the Aux cord, even though its not much of a hassle at all. The only minor rock-in-the-shoe is that every once and a while the screen brightens up and re-notifies me that it's charging when I turn on my signal, but only sometimes. The cigarette lighter is probably on the same circuit as blinkers but who knows why it does that. Some quick short or power struggle maybe. Electricity is so voodoo at times. pics taken with another Pre of course .
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drjones11 View Post
    The Ultimate Car Charger:
    I did this a while ago but just discovered there was a thread about people posting there home-made TS car chargers so I thought I might as well as join in on the fun. I did this because not only does my car have a shelf-like dash that begs for something to be put on but at the time (when it first came out) I wanted to show off the ability of the phone to charge wireless and also to be able to use the ease and functionality of it in the car as well as at home. I had to do some tweaking, such as taking the center console apart, heating up a razor blade until red hot and slicing/melting through the backside of the squishy high density foam due to the fact that the bottom of the TS is elliptical and was just a little long to fit perfectly in the tray as is (this is seen in the side view pics, if you look close the rear end of the TS is nestled in the back of the tray). Then all I had to do was cleanly run some wires and the phone, in either position, just barely cleared the potential top and bottom clearance issues. Needless to say it was like a match made in portable wireless-charging heaven . Soon I'm planning on getting a bluetooth head-unit so I can totally omit the Aux cord, even though its not much of a hassle at all. The only minor rock-in-the-shoe is that every once and a while the screen brightens up and re-notifies me that it's charging when I turn on my signal, but only sometimes. The cigarette lighter is probably on the same circuit as blinkers but who knows why it does that. Some quick short or power struggle maybe. Electricity is so voodoo at times. pics taken with another Pre of course .

Your cheating with that (almost) perfect little shelf, but it looks nice!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gpgyo View Post
    Your cheating with that (almost) perfect little shelf, but it looks nice!
    Yea I could see how you could think that because Volvo's are awesome like that but I still had to hack it up with a hot blade for it work. Thanks, I like how it looks almost stock.
    I tried attaching mine using Scotch velcro but it wobbled around too much so I took it out.
    Cool. I've been wondering how well the Touchstone magnet would hold the Pre in a car. Now I know.

A caution regarding mounting the Touchstone over the A/C vent, especially in areas where the humidity is typically very high: On hot summer days with the A/C running full tilt, it is going to chill the Pre a lot. When you reach your destination, grab the Pre, and exit the car into the hot humid air, the Pre will likely frost-up with condensation (inside and outside). I had this happen to my XM radio - it quit until it warmed up and dried out. Over time, this will probably corrode the internal connectors.
    Is there a place I can buy a stright cord(not coiled) with a micro USB for the TS on one end and just bare + and _ wires at the other. This is so I can hor wire it to the vehicle's fuse box or a switched source.
    Or can some one help me with how to make one off a regular USB cable.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I don't think its that easy. The power going to your phone needs to be 5 volts, 1.0 amp. Car chargers step down the car's 12V to this. A solution may be to visit your local auto parts store and buy a spare power outlet plug. It will have wires for for +/- and you can install it somewhere out of sight (under the dash, behind a panel.) Into your newly installed power outlet, plug in a cigarette lighter USB adapter. Finally, into that you can plug in any USB cable you want. When you shop for a cigarette lighter USB adapter, look for a 1.0 amp adapter. Less than 1.0 amp will probably work, too, just slower and may not be able to keep you charged if you are running several battery hungry apps.
  12. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Here is mine mounted in my Civic. I am using this mount: TomTom One, I used a BBQ torch to soften the base and round the edges so it molded better to the curve of the dash. I heated it a bit too much, but you can't really see it... I use it with a Palm wall charger with an inverter. I tried using a high power Belkin car charger, but it would not charge through the Touchstone so I went with the inverter. I still have to put the clock back in to cover the hole, if I can find it.

I used something called Sugru to hold the TS in the mount. I originally used hot glue, but it didn't hold it in, it was too slippery and the TS just pulled straight out of it. I read someone used caulking, but I wanted something dark, not clear or white. It's working great so far.
    Last edited by rpr; 03/14/2010 at 01:44 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Here is mine mounted in my Civic. I am using this mount: TomTom One, I used a BBQ torch to soften the base and round the edges so it molded better to the curve of the dash. I heated it a bit too much, but you can't really see it... I use it with a Palm wall charger with an inverter. I tried using a high power Belkin car charger, but it would not charge through the Touchstone so I went with the inverter. I still have to put the clock back in to cover the hole, if I can find it.

I used something called Sugru to hold the TS in the mount. I originally used hot glue, but it didn't hold it in, it was too slippery and the TS just pulled straight out of it. I read someone used caulking, but I wanted something dark, not clear or white. It's working great so far.
    That doesn't look too shabby. You just need an app that displays your RPM as a tachometer would and it will look awesome . Especially if you had the civic like I had that lacked the tach in the gauge cluster.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I used something called Sugru
    That stuff looks cool, never heard of it before. Too bad the online store is sold out.
    As I previously reported in this post, I installed a touchstone in my Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. The cigarette lighter adapter I purchased from the link provided in this thread worked for 2 days and then it quit.

I don't believe the touchstone was getting enough power, so I decided to wire a new cigarette lighter directly from my battery. This has been working great for 4 days now, so I thought I would post the materials and method I used so others could attempt this:

DISCLAIMER: Exercise common sense while following these instructions at your own risk.

1. Purchased an Enercell™ 12VDC Vehicle Power Accessory Outlet
    Model: 270-046 at Radio Shack for $6.99. This has an inline fuse and a 3' of wire.

2. Purchased 16-14 Gauge Insulated Crimp-On **** Connector (16-Pack) Model: 64-3109 at Radio Shack for $2.19.

3. Purchased the Palm 3453WW Auto Adapter from Buy.com for $19.99 (free shipping).

Since the wire included with the power outlet is only 3' long, you will need a length of 16 guage wire long enough to reach from the final mounting location of the power outlet to the battery. I used some speaker wire I had laying around, but you could purchase a small roll from Radio Shack for about $6.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1. I removed the car's connector to the positive battery terminal. This will de-energize the wiring in the car so you can work safely.

2. Locate a grommet in the vehicle's firewall. There was one easily accessible for me just above where the steering column goes through the firewall. (HINT: If you Google your car make & model along with "get through firewall" or similar, someone else may have already found a location for you)

3. Attach an end of the 16 guage speaker wire to the tip of a long screwdriver with electrical tape and push it through the firewall at the edge of the grommet.

4. Find the wire & end of the screwdriver on the engine side of the firewall. Remove the electrical tape and pull some wire through the firewall. Go back inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle and pull the screwdriver out. (The grommet should still be in place)

5. Fish the wire over to the vehicle's battery, being carefull to keep the wire away from moving parts. I used a wire channel at the base of the windshield and attached the 16 guage wire to other wiring with electrical tape.

6. Cut the other end of the 16 guage wire (back in the passenger compartment) so you have enough slack to reach the final mounting position. Fish the wire through the rear of the dashboard to the final mounting location.

7. In the passenger compartment, strip the end of the red 16 guage wire coming from the firewall. Insert it into one end of a **** crimp and in the opposite end of the **** crimp insert the red wire from the power outlet (should already be stripped). Crimp the connector with a set of pliers.

8. Attach the end of the power outlet's black wire to a metal surface with a screw to ground it. Do this by finding an existing metal screw, loosen it, wrap the stripped wire around it, and tighten the screw.

9. Go back to the battery and strip the insulation away from the red wire of the 16 guage speaker wire. Securely attach it to a metal portion of the battery terminal clamp you removed in #1 above.

10. Re-attach the terminal clamp to the positive battery terminal and tighten it appropriately. Don't lean up against the fender or touch anything metal while doing this.

11. Go back inside the passenger compartment and insert the Palm auto-adapter into the power outlet. If the small light illuminates on the Palm adapter, you are good to go.

12. Attach the Palm USB cable to the Palm adapter and fish the other end of the wire to the touchstone. Position the power outlet behind the dash or wherever you want it. (Mine is behind the dash)

13. Attach the cable to the touchstone and place the Pre or Pixi on the touchstone. The "charging battery" message should appear on the screen and the "ding-dong" will play if you don't have the phone set to vibrate.

I hope you are able to proudly display your Palm Pre or Pixi in your car while having it charge, too. Good luck.

16. rpr
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    @DrJones11: it's an auto, but it does have a tach.

@AlbanyHDTV: Nicely detailed install. I know in my Honda Civic, there are unused terminals on the fusebox, so I just used a female spade connector to connect to that for the power, and wired the ground to a convenient spot. It's a bit easier than trying to fish through the firewall. If you have a multi-meter you can probe connectors on the fuse panel to find ones that are always live versus only on with the ignition. Mine is always live, but I may change that.
    Pilot 1000 -> Palm Pro -> Palm III -> Handspring Visor -> Palm V -> Palm TX -> Palm LifeDrive -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Pre
    ok so we didnt want to drill and cut and go crazy so what did we do.... improvised!!!! we took a spray can cap from a a termite killer spray and it just so happend to fit perfectly in the cup holder and the touch stone just sticks to the cap no drills no crazy out goings just a cap and a touch stone heres the video made using my pre plus
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    The mod looks good from what I can see, but it's too dark to see it well. It does get a little better at the end. Looks good from what I can see!

Quote Originally Posted by jaramillo621 View Post
    ok so we didnt want to drill and cut and go crazy so what did we do.... improvised!!!! we took a spray can cap from a a termite killer spray and it just so happend to fit perfectly in the cup holder and the touch stone just sticks to the cap no drills no crazy out goings just a cap and a touch stone heres the video made using my pre plus
    My setup isn't "clean", but works very well. The dual-outlet DC/AC inverter powers my Touchstone, Eneloop battery charger, portable TV, etc.
    Last edited by kenhiraihnl; 03/19/2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: add pic
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    @DrJones11: it's an auto, but it does have a tach.
    That's peculiar because mine was manual and had no tach. You would think it would be the other way around.