Page 23 of 45 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Very nice install. I like the way you routed the audio cable. Is that a right angle 3.5mm right angle adapter on the end of the cable?
    No, it is not an adapter.. I ordered a 6' male-male with right angle plugs on each end.. I ordered a 6' -- could have gotten away with a 3' though.. I ordered from here - 6 FT Premium kVC Studio Gold Series 3.5mm Stereo Right Angle Male to Right Angle Male Cable Its a very well constructed cable with high quality ends.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    No, it is not an adapter.. I ordered a 6' male-male with right angle plugs on each end.. I ordered a 6' -- could have gotten away with a 3' though.. I ordered from here - 6 FT Premium kVC Studio Gold Series 3.5mm Stereo Right Angle Male to Right Angle Male Cable Its a very well constructed cable with high quality ends.

Rick
    $21 for the cable! That is about 10x what I like to pay for a similar product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-ft-3-5mm-1-8-r...item5ad37c5dd7
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    If you use the mini cable does it play the calls through it as well? or just the music?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    $21 for the cable! That is about 10x what I like to pay for a similar product.

3 ft 3.5mm 1/8 right angle mini plug stereo audio cable - eBay (item 390095199703 end time Feb-14-10 06:04:17 PST)

Yeah -- been there, done that -- from that exact eBay seller too as a matter of fact.. He sells 2 for 1... And after about 3 months with each one in the car, the connections inside broke loose and I had to buy new ones again.. Unfortunately male-male angle cables are difficult if not impossible to find locally.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    If you use the mini cable does it play the calls through it as well? or just the music?
    It will play call audio through the stereo as well.. To the phone, it just thinks its a wired headset.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...olved-car.html

Order the 12v adapter from bestofferbuy.com (specifically the link on the thread). I ordered mine from there and did the mod to pins 2 and 3 and have had really great results using the Touchstone. The 12v adapter is 1.2 amps. Someone in this thread here said 1.0ma, which is wrong (and I'm sure it was just a mistake). You want at least 1 Amp, which is 1000mA. 1.2 Amps is better obviously and you will get the Pre to actually charge while using Navigation, the Music player, Text Messaging, Phone app, and possibly one more app open. It's amazing!

I have posted time and time again that I think the Touchstone in the car, mounted in a good location, is one of the best creations of all time for the cell phone. No other phone company out there has this after market accessory, as far as I know. Without this and other accessories from Palm, I don't think the Pre would be doing as well as it is.

I also have posted pics of my TS mounted in my car in another thread. If you are interested in the install, which I am really happy with, just do a search. I use a 3.5mm retractable stereo cable bought from monoprice.com for I believe $2!!
    Last edited by voltageROCK; 02/09/2010 at 04:02 PM.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Just ordered one, thanks alot for the tip
    Has anyone had there car battery die because of the touchstone? I don't think I left a light on. I use the Sprint car charger for the Pre and I thought that once I take my key out of the ignition it stops power to the cigarette lighter. Maybe I didn't have it connected just right?
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Hey everyone.. Previously I posted pictures of my Touchstone mounted in my previous vehicle, a 2005 Mazda 6.. I've since gotten rid of that car and recently picked up a 2010 Nissan Frontier.. Using some of the gear from the Mazda and the way I mounted the Touchstone in there with a modified Proclip mount, I did the same with the Nissan.. But I also installed the Nissan Garmin Nav kit in the truck at the same time, and routed the wires for the Pre (audio and Touchstone power) behind the dash and to a pair of hardwired 12V outlets behind the dash (one for the Pre, one for the Garmin).

I modified the Touchstone by stripping off all of the gummy sticky stuff on the bottom. I then used 3M Dual Lock (think: super strong, solid velco -- its the stuff that they send you to mount EZ Passes to the windshield) on the bottom of the Touchstone Base, and mounted it to a Proclip inerlocking plate. This allows me to swap out the Touchstone if I wish with another Proclip mounted device. Here are the pics of how it came out.

Rick
    Very nice!!
    I wanted to mount my Touchstone on the dash of my Mazda 3, up high in my field of view, but I didn't want to have any screw holes or permanent tape, and I knew I'd have to raise the angle so I could see the screen while driving.

Being a cheapskate, I decided to use a suggestion I read on this thread and made a riser out of black Sculpey make-'n-bake clay. Two small bricks for about $5. I used 3M Command Adhesive Velcro-style fasteners to attach it to the dash so I could pull it off if desired.

Before I got around to mounting it in the car, I used it on my bedside table. I liked being able to read while lying on my side in bed, so I decided to make another riser just for the bedroom Touchstone!

Here they are side-by-side, the dash-mount on the left. I'm a little disappointed the Velcro shows so much. If I make another, I'll have to carve little channels in the bottom for the strips so it can sit a bit more flush. I'll post pictures of it mounted in the car once I get some proper daylight photos.

I super-glued the Touchstones to the risers, leaving the gecko-type sticky pad in place. Even while being inset into the riser form, the gecko pad just wasn't sticky enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palm history: II, IIIc, Kyocera 7135, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, FrankenPre+, (legit) Pre+ & TouchPad.
    Oke go My Pictures for VW Polo,
    Last night my Touchstone fell off my ProClip. I looked at the TS and it doesn't seem like the adhesive is working at all. It stayed stuck for a few weeks before falling off. How can I fix this?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stryker412 View Post
    Last night my Touchstone fell off my ProClip. I looked at the TS and it doesn't seem like the adhesive is working at all. It stayed stuck for a few weeks before falling off. How can I fix this?
    Do what I did -- remove the gummy material from the TS completely.. Use 3M Dual Lock between the TS and your mounting plate.

The only problem with Dual Lock is it may be very difficult to find locally -- and its a little pricey.. One solution I have found to get it for free is if you have a toll tag like EZPass, you can call them and tell them you need new windshield mounting strips (that is 3M dual-lock). Otherwise, I found it worth my while to buy a 20' x 2" length of the stuff years ago, and have been cutting pieces off here and there when I need it.

If you use the dual-lock with the VHB advhesive on it (it is available in various widths and with different strengths of adhesive), the two pieces will NOT fall apart.
    My 2009 VW Eos

I toyed with the idea of using Proclip type vehicle mounts, but ultimately decided with the simple but effective 3M gonzo double-sided tape.
    Symbol SPT1500 (Palm III w/laser barcode scanner) -> Treo 600 -> Treo 755p -> Pre
    thanks for the tip!
    it's quite cold here now -5
    for now the sticky wil hold but
    now i forsee problems in the summer
    but for now its oke.
    but for a second option,
    you could also remove the 3
    screw's in bottom of the TT
    (peel off the sticky stuff first)
    en two screw's true the bottom;-)
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Pretty cool setups people, makes me start to think
  17. Evansgw
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelwix View Post
    here's mine in my '01 Jetta
    ... I think I am going to hardwire in my touchstone along with adding a Motorola T605 BT kit.

If I am going to take the dash apart... might as well make it work it!
    Mine is just a simple set up. Glass>>iGRIP Universal Fit Flexible Mount>>Touchstone>>>Pre! at less than $70, All bought from here at pre-central accessories! I just opted to use the included usb charger and plug with the phone for charging. Potholes and bumps are non-issues. Believe me...I tried! A motorola T505 is essential for over the readio broadcast to speakers. A real sweet setup.
    Last edited by Rizvend; 02/20/2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: wrong accessory mentioned
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I should mention that I am a fan of wires. My car is kind of messy anyway, and I like the flexibility of easily being able to move wires around. I attached the audio cable I plug into my phone, to the nearby vents (with a twist tie) so I can easily find it when needed.

I sawed off an empty bottle of Hint at an angle and used rubber cement to attach it to my Touchstone. I put the Hint in my cupholder, where it fits pretty snugly.

I attached it to my audio in jack on my aftermarket VR3 stereo through a ground loop isolator from Radio Shack, which I picked up some time ago for use with my old Treo 600. This cuts out the annoying whine I used to get when connecting my phone to my stereo while it's charging off of the car. The whine even happens through the Touchstone if I don't use the ground loop isolator.

Oh yeah, and I drilled two holes in one of my Touchstone-enabled back covers so I could attach a phone strap.

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashi View Post
    I should mention that I am a fan of wires.
    Even so -- I think you're really not using things to their fullest potential. That hole in the dash to the left can easily be used as a receptacle for your audio cable when not in use.