Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by danjb View Post
    Wow! I was worrying over my Pre's seemingly short battery life this weekend (tends to run low by the evening) when I got the brain flash of trying to put a Touchstone in my car. I drive about a 30 minute commute in the morning and evening to and from work, and figured a 30 minute charge each way would be sure to get me through the day. I tried it using double stick tape to be sure the Touchstone stays in place and the cable to the DC outlet stays out of the way, and am really pleased with result.

Imagine my surprise when I came across this thread tonight and find so many others are doing this! It works really well! I was worried the Touchstone magnet might not hold the phone snugly enough through bumps and tight corners, but it seems to do great, and makes keeping the Pre charged a snap. Great idea!
    Nice job on running the power cable.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    The Sprint charger does have enough juice to power the touchstone.

Tim
    I have to beg to differ. I'm using the Sprint charger with mine. I think there are 2 part numbers and you have to make sure you get the one specifically spec'd for the Pre. As a bonus, the micro-usb tip fits the touchstone unmodified.

Also, +1 on the 3M super double sided tape (the gray stuff with red plastic backing). I use it on my touchstone, I've used it before to hold things like satellite radios to the dash and it holds great and cleans up easily when you're ready to remove it.
    Symbol SPT1500 (Palm III w/laser barcode scanner) -> Treo 600 -> Treo 755p -> Pre
    My Sprint car charger model kps200bpre/pvx8930 works after I shaved it to fit into the touchstone. I was given this charger but I'm amsuming it's ok since it says "pre"?

I was told this on sprintusers "the car charger needs to be at least 1.0ma to run the touchstone. Most chargers are only .8ma so watch for that. The .8 will run the phone but it will slowly lose charge if you are using Navigation or Pandora. Best bet is to have a car stereo with a usb port".

I'm going to test it out and see what happens. I don't have a usb in my stereo and I don't want to hard wire it into my car.
    I ordered my touchstone last week when Dell had a special for $29.87 each. I contacted them twice last week and was told my order was fine and would be sent out in 24 hours, but I just got notified that my order was cancelled due to low stock. The funny thing is I ordered my touchstone about 2 hours before I told my brother about it and yet he received notification from FedEx his order was shipped. If your order shows processing, you are more than likely screwed and if you contact a Dell representative they will simply lie to you. I will never do business with Dell again.
    Does anyone knpow if the verizon car charger will work with the toughstone? I couldn't find any specs on it.
    For those like me that do not have a decent area to mount it, or don't like the provided options, these may help. They are made by proclip as well but are much more universal.

ProClip Mounting System - Mounting Options

This will be good for me since we just got that stupid new no holding your phone while in the car law crap.
    I have a feeling that I may just kick myself for not doing enough reading on this thread!

I did order that Dell deal of Touch stone, glad I was able to get it.

and I ordered OEM Sprint car charger with model # KPS200BMCU for $8 on Buy.com. I am going to assume the last 3 letters "MCU" stands for Micro USB, unlike the other one with "PRE" on it. The spec on this one is 5V/0.85 Amps.

I did have to shave the Micro USB plug, the way I did that was I took my OEM charger cable and did some quick measurements and i just held them side by side and cut along the aligned line on top. Came out pretty good IMO, but I have a feeling that I will eventually order me another USB charger that's got 5V/1.0 AMP and extra OEM USB/Charger cable for the Touchstone to use on the car.

I will keep an update with this. I have a 1995 Nissan 240SX that's not so road friendly, stiff suspension and all that jazz so vibration is going to be a definite challenge. I'll see how this comes out, I will be making my own mounts pods, I'm just not sure of where just yet. I'll post some pictures when it's all done!
    Ok, so people with OEM Sprint chargers, Can you look on your chargers and tell me the model number and the specs on it?

From my long readings, there is..
    KPS200BMCU 5V/0.85 Amps
    KPS200BPRE 5V/1.00 Amps

Am I correct? I am still waiting for my extra touch stone to come in, so..

People whom are using the "MCU" model with 5V/0.85 Amps to power up your TouchStone in the car, how does it hold up? the Most I ever use with my Pre while I'm driving is the Sprint Navigation App and maybe talking on with my my bluetooth.

Give me your inputs please Thanks!
    Maybe this is a dumb question, and I know that I'm no electrician, but would the charger keep up if it were simply plugged directly into the Pre instead of the TS during times of heavy use? (ie - GPS, Music, etc...) Isn't the problem in the inefficiency of the TS method of charging? Just a thought.
    FWIW, the touchstone/palm car charger combo has worked fine in my 1987 Mitsubishi Starion while using GPS and music streaming via Bluetooth to my stereo. I don't even have to use a power inverter.
    This forum is for pictures of touchstones in their car
    I kinda wanted to put my touchstone on my dash but decided I didn't want it out in the open like that. Spent a few bucks at dollar store and got a ash tray cup holder. I cut a piece of cardboard and tapped that over the top of it so it would be flat. I just put the sticky part that comes on the bottom of the touchstone down and let it sit for a night. Seems to hold pretty good. If it doesn't I have some some velcro. When I turn off my car the power shuts off to that cigarette lighter so that's good. I'm taking a road trip soon and I will test it out to see if the battery drains when using navigation.

Last edited by tbaker55; 02/04/2010 at 03:41 PM.
    The battery wont drain. It will go up slowly. great pic
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Wouldnt it be great if someone made a car holder that you could slide your touchstone into?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    Shots from my GTI

What holder are you using for your ProClip mount? I want to do something similar for my touchstone. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    i just installed mine tonight. took it for a test ride on bumpy roads while haulin but and it never budged!

and for the record im using the palm car charger. it charges the phone fine. the only time it messes up is when i turn my headlights on, it acts like i took it off the charger and put it back on. and then its fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djprelude View Post
    i just installed mine tonight. took it for a test ride on bumpy roads while haulin but and it never budged!

and for the record im using the palm car charger. it charges the phone fine. the only time it messes up is when i turn my headlights on, it acts like i took it off the charger and put it back on. and then its fine.
    Nice! How are you having your touchstone attached to your mount?
    Can you buy the proclip at a store if so where?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Hey everyone.. Previously I posted pictures of my Touchstone mounted in my previous vehicle, a 2005 Mazda 6.. I've since gotten rid of that car and recently picked up a 2010 Nissan Frontier.. Using some of the gear from the Mazda and the way I mounted the Touchstone in there with a modified Proclip mount, I did the same with the Nissan.. But I also installed the Nissan Garmin Nav kit in the truck at the same time, and routed the wires for the Pre (audio and Touchstone power) behind the dash and to a pair of hardwired 12V outlets behind the dash (one for the Pre, one for the Garmin).

I modified the Touchstone by stripping off all of the gummy sticky stuff on the bottom. I then used 3M Dual Lock (think: super strong, solid velco -- its the stuff that they send you to mount EZ Passes to the windshield) on the bottom of the Touchstone Base, and mounted it to a Proclip inerlocking plate. This allows me to swap out the Touchstone if I wish with another Proclip mounted device. Here are the pics of how it came out.

Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Hey everyone.. Previously I posted pictures of my Touchstone mounted in my previous vehicle, a 2005 Mazda 6.. I've since gotten rid of that car and recently picked up a 2010 Nissan Frontier.. Using some of the gear from the Mazda and the way I mounted the Touchstone in there with a modified Proclip mount, I did the same with the Nissan.. But I also installed the Nissan Garmin Nav kit in the truck at the same time, and routed the wires for the Pre (audio and Touchstone power) behind the dash and to a pair of hardwired 12V outlets behind the dash (one for the Pre, one for the Garmin).

I modified the Touchstone by stripping off all of the gummy sticky stuff on the bottom. I then used 3M Dual Lock (think: super strong, solid velco -- its the stuff that they send you to mount EZ Passes to the windshield) on the bottom of the Touchstone Base, and mounted it to a Proclip inerlocking plate. This allows me to swap out the Touchstone if I wish with another Proclip mounted device. Here are the pics of how it came out.

Rick
    Very nice install. I like the way you routed the audio cable. Is that a right angle 3.5mm right angle adapter on the end of the cable?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)