Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    It doesnt matter with newer cars... anything left on or plugged in will be turned off before the battery falls to a voltage low enough that the car cant start. I leave my touchstone on all the time havent had a problem yet.

well I have a 2001 so anybody in that range should be careful
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    So I cant just buy a cheap car charger from Ebay and expect it to work?
    YMMV on this. Like it's been said you are going to need a constant supply of 1A or you are going to get bing bing every 3 minutes or whenever the voltage fluctuates.

That said I bought a PALM brand OEM changer rated at 1A and it did not work in my car (05 Altima). I had to go up to 1.2A before I could get things working properly. More details here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2176749
    I just got a touchstone. cant wait to put it in my car too!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    YMMV on this. Like it's been said you are going to need a constant supply of 1A or you are going to get bing bing every 3 minutes or whenever the voltage fluctuates.

That said I bought a PALM brand OEM changer rated at 1A and it did not work in my car (05 Altima). I had to go up to 1.2A before I could get things working properly. More details here:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2176749
    I use the palm oem charger works fine for me.
    I'd love to mount the touchstone in my car I think it would be pretty useful...only I live in Ontario and they just passed a new law saying no screen at all can be facing the driver unless it's a stand-alone GPS unit....................................................................yup.
    The law doesn't use the phrase 'stand-alone' - the exception to no "display screens" is for "a global positioning system navigation device while being used to provide navigation information" - I think you could get a fair amount of legal opinions that the pre is a navigation device while navigation is being used and nothing else. The statute doesn't include a definition of "navigation device." Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, sh. H.8, 78(1)-(2), Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8.
    After reading this it clearly excludes hand held wireless communication devices. This allows your phone to be up front but you can only use it with a wireless device so you cant be holding it. The touchstone with phone up front is perfectly legal. Also it goes to speaker phone while on touchstone so its wireless device.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...08_e.htm#BK129

note the screen in view of the driver exception (b)

(b) a hand-held wireless communication device or a device that is prescribed for the purpose of subsection 78.1 (1);
    Hands-free mode allowed

78.1 (1) No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway while holding or using a hand-held wireless communication device or other prescribed device that is capable of receiving or transmitting telephone communications, electronic data, mail or text messages. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.

(3) Despite subsections (1) and (2), a person may drive a motor vehicle on a highway while using a device described in those subsections in hands-free mode. 2009, c. 4, s. 2.
    Last edited by bigwood212; 01/29/2010 at 12:05 AM.
    Are you able to use the keyboard with the Pre sitting on a touchstone? I am worried the the force of pressing a key would push the Pre off of the stone.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Are you able to use the keyboard with the Pre sitting on a touchstone? I am worried the the force of pressing a key would push the Pre off of the stone.
    Yes it works great.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I dis-agree. I have only had mine mounted in the car with the touchstone and knocked it off already.

Maybee with practice and making sure it is secure and a light touch you may be ok.
    I had used an belkin low profile charger to power up my touchstone on my work truck. I love it cause it does not stick out like the palm or sprint charger does and when you don't have a usb cable plugged in to it, you would swear it was part of the car. To top it off it also has 1.0 amp output to satisfy the touchstone power crave with out causing any problems.In my work truck i have my touchstone inside one of the big built in cup holders and made a hole in the bottom of the cup holder to run the usb cable.I will post up some pics soon but yous guys should check it out its a Belkin Micro USB Car Charger with Part # F8Z445
    This might be a dumb question but what adhesive or material have you guys use to make the touchstone stick to the dash or any part of the car for that matter? I've tried superglue/crazyglue and it doesn't even stay, please help! sorry if this has been cover already but I can't read through 22 pages of posts.

Thanks so much!
    Many of us used double-sided tape, some used Velcro, some just stick with the built-on sticky pad.

Remember that if you put something in the middle part, it has to be equal or greater in height that the built-on sticky pad or it won't make contact with the surface you're putting the Touchstone on.
    3M Double-sided tape (gray with the red cover) works great, and can usually be found at your local auto parts store.

DO NOT use the double sided foam type tape, as they don't stick very well, and are a pain to clean off when it does fail.
    I used industrial strength velcro from loes. It comes in circles sized perfect for the touchstone. Just slapped em on and that was it. After a day it doesnt come off unless you want it to and it doesnt leave a mess either.

www.lowes.com/pd_40763-388-90362_0_?productId=3033163&Ntt=velcro&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntk=i_products$No=15$Ntt=velcro
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    I used industrial strength velcro from loes. It comes in circles sized perfect for the touchstone. Just slapped em on and that was it. After a day it doesnt come off unless you want it to and it doesnt leave a mess either.
    Thanks for the great tips, yea regular double sided tape is not going to be strong enough, are these velcro going to stay on even during hot summer times?How long have you had it on your car? Thanks!
    So, does the "Sprint" Charger from a Sprint store meet the requirements for the touchstone to operate correctly?

I would love to mount the touchstone in my car, looks great.

Maybe they should create the mobile Touchstone with super dooper adhesive.
    "I could calculate your chances of survival, but your not gonna like it." Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    >>>>>> My WoW Fan Site <<<<<<
    I love my pre and my touchstone! Looks better in real life! If you are thinking about doing this...Do it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wow! I was worrying over my Pre's seemingly short battery life this weekend (tends to run low by the evening) when I got the brain flash of trying to put a Touchstone in my car. I drive about a 30 minute commute in the morning and evening to and from work, and figured a 30 minute charge each way would be sure to get me through the day. I tried it using double stick tape to be sure the Touchstone stays in place and the cable to the DC outlet stays out of the way, and am really pleased with result.

Imagine my surprise when I came across this thread tonight and find so many others are doing this! It works really well! I was worried the Touchstone magnet might not hold the phone snugly enough through bumps and tight corners, but it seems to do great, and makes keeping the Pre charged a snap. Great idea!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidm1519 View Post
    So, does the "Sprint" Charger from a Sprint store meet the requirements for the touchstone to operate correctly?

I would love to mount the touchstone in my car, looks great.

Maybe they should create the mobile Touchstone with super dooper adhesive.
    The Sprint charger does have enough juice to power the touchstone.

Tim
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about