Page 20 of 45 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    Can anyone help me with the Touchstone mount on 2006 Murano? I would really appreciate if someone can give a step by step instructions on that..

Thank you in advance.
    Step 1: Buy Touchstone
    Step 2: Buy Palm car charger
    Step 3: Mount Touchstone where you want it
    Step 4: Plug charger into Touchstone
    Step 5: Plug charger into cigarette lighter socket

Post pics when you are done.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

Couldn't be easier!
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    here's mine in my '01 Jetta
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

NickDG, Thanks for this but I was thinking more like doing it under the hood so that I don't see those cables hanging outside.

But this will work to start with I guess..
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I was looking to pick up a nice Arkon dashpad and then get the iGrip custom mount from PreCentral. I found an Arkon kit for the TomTom GPS unit for a good price, and picked that up, figuring i would simply discard the TomTom mount.

When I opened the package, the kit came with several mounting adapters, one of which appeared to be just the right size for the Touchstone. Wheels started spinning and I grabbed a co-workers TS to confirm the fit, almost a perfect match. Just enough room for a nice bead of silicone to mount the TS to the Arkon mount.

The TS arrives today, and I'll be assembling this over the weekend.

For reference, the Arkon part number is TT112, but it looks like the TTEP112 would also do the trick. Check it out!

Bruce
    Last edited by bbroecker; 01/30/2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added pix
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    DO NOT HARDWIRE 12 V DC to your TOUCHSTONE.\

USB POWER IS 5 V DC.

USE AN ADAPTER
    Where's the Web link to the adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by imtravis View Post
    If you want to do the hardwire solution, the best way is to use the car adpater, and then solder the positive and negative cables to it, then tie that into your power.. I believe the tip of the charger is the positive, and the negative is the prongs on the sides. That's how I have it.. Still has the chip, etc.. so it's safer than a direct wire by cutting the adapter.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I had the Palm charger....it didn't work a damn, totally unreliable. I got the official Sprint charger, the 850ma version, and it works fine. However, reading how people say that the 850 is working its **** off and overheating, makes me not want to buy a touchstone now!

What's everyones experience been with the Sprint 850ma charger!? I don't want to push my luck and get another one of those cheaply made Palm chargers again! Hell that thing was so tight in the power plug, the whole center console was moving when I tried to take it back out again!
    Any updates on this? I saw a cheap Pixi/Pre charger cord on Amazon here:

Amazon.com: Palm PRE Charging USB 2.0 Data Cable for your Phone! This professional grade custom cable outperforms the original!: Cell Phones & Service

Quote Originally Posted by awashko View Post
    I was thinking about doing this, but it would be awesome if somehow it could be made into some sort of cradle...
    Yes. Yesh! I have a Tom Tom and they have charging cradles for these:

3rd edition:
    Carcomm - Products

All others:
    Carcomm - Products

Provided these Tom Tom cradles fit on a dash, I would get one. And I would only do the hard-wire install of Touchstone and Tom Tom by a third party at the same time to save time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael.Morgan View Post
    So what is the most reliable and simplest install?

Palm Pre Car Charger > TS or

Palm Pre USB Car Charger Adapter > Palm USB Cable > TS or

Third party product > TS...

I was thinking of getting the Palm Pre USB Car Charger adapter only because it comes with another official Palm cable. (Can anyone tell me the length of this cable?)

BTW I have a 2007 Mazda 3. Thinking of using the Velcro Install version so I can move it between office and car.
    Yes, what is the simplest most wireless Touchstone charger dashboard install (pro clip or no pro clip with Touchstone) one could do without fudging up the car battery? I have a 1999 Mazda Miata. Eventually, I'm thinking of taking my car to a mom and pop car stereo place that was recommended to me to see what they can do.

Seriously, dash installs are the only way to go. All eyes on the road, people!
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    NickDG, Thanks for this but I was thinking more like doing it under the hood so that I don't see those cables hanging outside.

But this will work to start with I guess..
    Theres a lot of different ways to do it but I think mine is easyiest. My pictures are like 1 or 2 pages back. Im the hummer h3. All I did was pop out my extra cig lighter plug and put it behind the dash. Then i just plugged the palm car charger in and wallla. The outside all you see is a power outlet cover. If i open it theres nothing there. I've got 2 right next to eachother though. Best part is its reversible i can just put the cig lighter back in later. Another good was is to buy a pigtale lighter adapter that connects in the back. They are cheap on amazon.
    I just mounted mine with the Pro Clip and TS. If I need to remove them later to run wires, will the adhesive still work?
    Installed my setup yesterday here are the pics. I had to install a Motorola T605 bluetooth adapter kit to my car since it doesn't have bluetooth. Now its supports both phone calls and music. The phone calls come through a small but very powerful speaker that came with the bluetooth kit. I used industrial strength Velcro for the touchstone install. There is a small Motorola control unit installed under the radio that controls all the bluetooth functions like accepting phone calls and playing music or switching songs.

My factory stereo does not have aux input but it does have a dvd player on the roof that has aux input so i just ran wires from there through the roof down the wall of the car to the bluetooth adapter. The kit also includes a really nice microphone that i installed near the dome lights.

The Motorola T605 kit only cost 49$ and came with everything necessary to make a sweet bluetooth stereo unit. I used it a lot now and absolutely love it. The bluetooth is easy and seamless. Now i love my pre even more. If you would like to use this kit in your car you can purchase it at the link below.
    Buy bluetooth ket here:
    http://www.l337tech.com/how_to_video...tooth-adapter/
    Buy touchstone and the power adapter i used here:
    http://www.l337tech.com/reviews/hard...er-kit-review/
    Last edited by number1pete; 01/23/2010 at 01:10 PM.
    So I cant just buy a cheap car charger from Ebay and expect it to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    So I cant just buy a cheap car charger from Ebay and expect it to work?
    Some of the car chargers don't put out enough juice to run the TS, have put out 1000ma
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I have two power outlets on my 2009 Nissan Altima. One is switched and the other is always on (when car is off). If I plug my touchstone into the always on outlet does it drain the battery when the car is off and my Pre is not attached? I wouldn't think so, but wanted to double check.

I have a bluetooth device I want to plug into the switched outlet which would drain the battery if plugged into the always on outlet.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    My friend had an iphone car charger plugged in an "always on" power outlet in his Suburban and the iphone car charger shorted out and burned his burb to the ground. You should always upplug any charger from the "always on" power outlets in your car when you leave just to be safe.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    My friend had an iphone car charger plugged in an "always on" power outlet in his Suburban and the iphone car charger shorted out and burned his burb to the ground. You should always upplug any charger from the "always on" power outlets in your car when you leave just to be safe.
    So whats the point of an always on outlet?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    Many cars don't have them for just this reason, I guess it's supposed to be a convienence, when you have to run an errand and you want to leave something charging, so just be careful. Back to your question, when nothing is connected to the charger it does not draw very much power.
    The Pre looks so cool hanging on the Touchstone charging base, The folks at Palm must have known this was going to happen.....

If you've mounted your Pre in the car and are using the Touchstone adapter, this thread is for you. Show the world how cool the Pre looks mounted in your car. We don't care how dumpy the car might be, as long as you've got a Touchstone adapter with a Palm Pre attached in your car, we want to see it!
    that is a really cool mount...have yo ever had it fall off when going over a bump?
    Quote Originally Posted by Loondog View Post
    I have two power outlets on my 2009 Nissan Altima. One is switched and the other is always on (when car is off). If I plug my touchstone into the always on outlet does it drain the battery when the car is off and my Pre is not attached? I wouldn't think so, but wanted to double check.
    yes they do. Ive ran through a couple fuses and a battery not unplugging chargers in the car
    It doesnt matter with newer cars... anything left on or plugged in will be turned off before the battery falls to a voltage low enough that the car cant start. I leave my touchstone on all the time havent had a problem yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by freefire4629 View Post
    that is a really cool mount...have yo ever had it fall off when going over a bump?
    No it doesnt fall off. I have even gone offroading on the beach and it does not fall off.
    The only thing I think that would have a sharp enough impact on the vehicle to jar the Pre loose would be the impact from having an accident while driving and watching the game!
    :facepalm: