Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    The Sprint charger for the Palm may be functional now, but you are puitting your Pre and your Touchstone (and your car) at risk using it with a Touchstone charging a Pre. The Sprint dc car adapter can deliver 850 milliamps of current, and that is precisely the amount of current needed by the Pre and the Touchstone. No padding. You adapter could eventually fail, and when it does fail, it could take your Touchstone and your Pre with it, or what's even worse, it could catch fire from working it's arse off . Get a charger or adapter capable of delivering "at least" 1.0 amps of current, (1000 milliamps) to be safe.
    So who's mini cable are you using?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dunamis7 View Post
    I have two things that is happening...

1) the adhesive has come off totally. due to the heat here in California...

2) it's goes crazy sometimes. It gives off the notification that it is charging but goes off like every handful of seconds over and over. So I take out of the charger and put it back on or even reset the phone....then it does it again.
    I'm thinking the TS doesn't like the heat. I've had this happen twice when I got in the car in the middle of the day. After running the AC for awhile though, it started working again.

I had the problem earlier, but now it's late in the day and I'm about to get in the car. I bet it works fine this time.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbsprinter View Post
    So who's mini cable are you using?
    Palm Car adapter with a generic USB to micro USB cable. Shaved the end that goes into my Touchstone.

Palm Car Charger delivers 1.0 Amps (1000 milliamps)
    It's available at Best Buy
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Thanks for the ideas.
    Now it is my turn to make something happen.
    The Sprint charger for the Palm may be functional now, but you are puitting your Pre and your Touchstone (and your car) at risk using it with a Touchstone charging a Pre. The Sprint dc car adapter can deliver 850 milliamps of current, and that is precisely the amount of current needed by the Pre and the Touchstone.
    Hmm. How is "sprint car charger can deliver upto 850 ma" supposed to "take out" pre, touchstone and car electronics?

Worst case, the battery will not get charged fast enough. But I don't see how that would take out pre or touchstone. Are you saying that inductive coils in touchstone and battery cover are rated to work only and only at 1000 ma?
    How's the direct sunlight on the Pre while driving? Being all black it absorbs a lot of heat from the sun.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Not bad at all..

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    I posted elsewhere, but hopefully this is the definitive thread. Everything is working with Palm-branded charger.

I've changed the mounting a bit to make it sturdier yet easier to remove. Essentially, there is a black metal right angle bracket that slides between the dash and the faux paneling. Touchstone is double-sided-taped to the bracket. Store the whole thing in center console when I want to hide it.

Also adding thin right angle 3.5mm plug when it arrives.

It's way cool and functional. Won't dislodge absent and full accident with frontal or side impact. Not worried about projectiles due to inertia. Palm charger is charging through Pandora, but haven't tested against Nav.
    Isnt that head unit A2DP bluetooth-enabled? If so, I would hook up the Pre that way! Nice, though!

Where are you getting this right-angled 3.5mm male plug?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Palm Car adapter with a generic USB to micro USB cable. Shaved the end that goes into my Touchstone.

Palm Car Charger delivers 1.0 Amps (1000 milliamps)
    It's available at Best Buy
    I thought the palm auto adapter that bestbuy was selling was the old part number that used to be listed for compatibility with the 800w and known not to work with the pre or the touchstone? In fact, when I look it up on best buy's site a reviewer says that it won't work correctly with his pre. This has also been confirmed by others on this site. This is the only reason I am using the sprint car charger for my touchstone.

Do you really have a reminder for "Weekend" ??
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    I thought the palm auto adapter that bestbuy was selling was the old part number that used to be listed for compatibility with the 800w and known not to work with the pre or the touchstone? In fact, when I look it up on best buy's site a reviewer says that it won't work correctly with his pre. This has also been confirmed by others on this site. This is the only reason I am using the sprint car charger for my touchstone.
    the palm one i got at BB today works
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboypup View Post
    the palm one i got at BB today works
    Is it this one Palm - Micro USB Vehicle Charger for Select Palm Cell Phones - 3437WW

Does it show the output at 1a on the charger? I will give one of these a try if yours is working!

Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Do you really have a reminder for "Weekend" ??
    That is my alarm clock. I don't know why its on the screen sometimes and then other times it's not. I have a weekday alarm and a weekend alarm (two different times for each).
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    I think I noticed that the Touchstone is "upside down." I thought I heard a while back that the magnets were suppose to hold it in place, in only one way; similar to how the magnetic holders were used to hold the iWhatevers (touch, phone, pod, etc) in a constant "head up" orientation. Not true?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    I think I noticed that the Touchstone is "upside down." I thought I heard a while back that the magnets were suppose to hold it in place, in only one way; similar to how the magnetic holders were used to hold the iWhatevers (touch, phone, pod, etc) in a constant "head up" orientation. Not true?
    I just played with the one on my desk here, and it is just as strong right side up and upside down. Where it is weaker is if you try to turn the phone sideways. At least it feels that way to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazo View Post
    Same thing.... I tried it in my truck and it tilts the phone more, better to see and the magnet is the same strength.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    Is it this one Palm - Micro USB Vehicle Charger for Select Palm Cell Phones - 3437WW

Does it show the output at 1a on the charger? I will give one of these a try if yours is working!
    I tried the Palm charger and it would not hold the charge while doing Pandora and Sprint Nav. Just charges too slowly. Fit the TS perfectly though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Isnt that head unit A2DP bluetooth-enabled? If so, I would hook up the Pre that way! Nice, though!

Where are you getting this right-angled 3.5mm male plug?
    I expressly thought I wasn't gonna need bluetooth when I bought the headunit. I'm not that disappointed given the battery implications.

You would be SHOCKED to find how difficult it is to find female flat to right angle male extension at 3.5mm. The one I found by NXG was purple and DOES NOT fit my decor. The other I found was only $5, but they charged $7 shipping and a surcharge of $5 on orders under $5.

Not to be ripped off, I settled on a "thin" 3.5mm male to male right angle from a place called ALLELECTRONICS. I'll supply the coupler and hide the wires. It was not easy to find which seems crazy. The electronics stores have bulky adapters, but not cables. I found four options, but the links are in my other computer. Most of the minimalist iPhone stuff out there was either white or had 3 connectors for microphone use which I expressly do not want.

There is a retractable option, but I didn't think it would work with my install. I may rethink that because I do need enough cable for landscape or potrait viewing.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I had started my thread before this one... but I will post here as well....

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-car-dock.html
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I had started my thread before this one... but I will post here as well....

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-car-dock.html
    Cleanest instal yet...! Do you route the sound to your car via bluetooth?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Thanks... well actually I am not.. other than the car's handfree bluetooth.. but I am gonna be switching this car in a couple of months.. so I am hoping whatever I get will have native A2DP support...

Plus I listen to Sirius 24/7... so its not too much a big deal for music support...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast