Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    That is a nice solution! Is there anyway to charge the Pre with that pouch? If you had a way to clip the Pre to a Touchstone (like some of the car mods here) that would be pretty sweet to have on a motorcycle.

Tim
    bigred - Yes, i took a razor blade right where the usb port goes. I have a poweroutlet on the bike and so i plug in the car charger and it charges the entire time i'm using it. Works great. I bought a new bluetooth helmet that lets me listen to music from my pre and the navigation directions play over the music then goes back to music - take phone calls while riding- it works great! Only downside is I have to wear a full face helmet...
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Well i just finished my install and im very happy. This came out perfect. Check it out! I mounted the touchstone with industrial velcro from lowes. They have it in circle pads and it fits right on the touchstone perfect. I did not bother removing the normal touchstone sticky pad. Then I popd my center dash off and ran the palm usb cable down to the the left cig power adapter. I somehow got the cig power adapter out of the dash and put it behind the dash. Then I crazy glued the outer cig lighter cover over the hole in the dash and perfect. I now have palm touchstone and hidden wires in my truck. Also im useing the oem palm charger and i must say it feel like its well made. Heres some pics! This is a Hummer H3
    Attached Images Attached Images
    one more... and yes i have a low tire and cracked windshield.
    I thought I'd mention I got my touchstone working with far less expense and hassle than most here.

I already had a small, simple to open/reassemble, dirt-cheap USB car adapter (search for them on ebay $2.50-$4) that was rated 5V 1000ma.

There is a common chip in some of these that supports 1000ma, up to 1500 max according to the chip specs. Mine has the power LED on the back of the device on the same side as the USB port - look for that one (I'd post a URL but I don't have permissions ).

Anyway, I took it apart (was impressed by the simple design of this adapter, especially given its price) and cut the existing traces to the middle two pins of the USB connector, then soldered the two middle pins (D+/D-) together.

This hack makes the charger present itself as a "Dedicated Charging Port" to the Touchstone/Pre and charging seems solid. Before I did the hack, this charger did NOT work with my touchstone.

Bottom line was $2-4 cost rather than 10-30 times that much for other solutions people have mentioned.

Your mileage may vary.
    Yes, I am piping pandora through a tape adapter.

I used double sided carpet tape (I think). It's gray and super tacky and squishy / gummy. Home depot.

Get your touchstone charger from amazon.

ojjr.
    Last edited by ontech; 01/11/2010 at 10:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ontech View Post
    Yes, I am piping pandora through a tape adapter.
    Oooh I never thought of doing that, I thought I was just out of luck without bluebooth in my car. Does it do sprint nav and all that through the car speakers too?
    Quick question for those who have it mounted vertically - does the Pre fall off when you turn the car off?
    in response to the last two post no the phone will not fall when mounted vertically. the magnets are surprisingly strong and you can stream pandora and sprint nav even if you do not have bluetooth. I have my working perfectly in my car thru an Aux jack and my wife's car which is older uses a cassette adapter
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Regarding the casette tape adapter... I have been unable to find one that sounds decent (so far, they have all sounded tingy/hollow). Which one are you using?
    The tape adapter is from sony. do an amazon search for cpa-9c
    Quote Originally Posted by tarirene View Post
    Oooh I never thought of doing that, I thought I was just out of luck without bluebooth in my car. Does it do sprint nav and all that through the car speakers too?
    Yep. If pandora is going and sprint nav is going and you get a call, pandora and nav are silenced while you take the call. if nav needs to say something, pandora is silenced.

ojjr.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Pre Nav through bluetooth and car stereo sounds fine!
    How do you transmit the sound from your Pre using bluetooth into your CTS? Do you have an aftermarket stereo installed?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjy724 View Post
    in response to the last two post no the phone will not fall when mounted vertically. the magnets are surprisingly strong and you can stream pandora and sprint nav even if you do not have bluetooth. I have my working perfectly in my car thru an Aux jack and my wife's car which is older uses a cassette adapter
    I get that the electromagnets are strong enough to hold the Pre vertical, what I wonder is if the car is off and there's no electricity being fed to the touchstone, does the electromagnet cease to function, dropping the pre? Or are they solid state magnets? I was under the impression they were electromagnets.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dbutters View Post
    I get that the electromagnets are strong enough to hold the Pre vertical, what I wonder is if the car is off and there's no electricity being fed to the touchstone, does the electromagnet cease to function, dropping the pre? Or are they solid state magnets? I was under the impression they were electromagnets.

Thanks!
    Nope.. they are just magnets... Will work without power
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Quote Originally Posted by dbutters View Post

Thanks!
    The Touchstone doesn't use Electromagnets, they are solid state magnets
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    http://forums.precentral.net/2151481-post9.html

SORRY. ALL MY PICS ARE THERE.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    We need a day and night switch for the pre. Maybe someone could patch it into the topbar menu. I have the brightness patch there but it would be easyier to just have a toggle. Also would be great if google maps and trapster had night colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    We need a day and night switch for the pre. Maybe someone could patch it into the topbar menu. I have the brightness patch there but it would be easyier to just have a toggle. Also would be great if google maps and trapster had night colors.
    +1.5

I like that idea! Brightness unlinked is great, but something that toggles the screen brightness between 0 and 50 would be grand!
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    +1.5

I like that idea! Brightness unlinked is great, but something that toggles the screen brightness between 0 and 50 would be grand!
    Yes this is what im looking for. I hate useing the slider it while driving its a pain. Even still with it on 0% I dont like white maps.
    Can anyone help me with the Touchstone mount on 2006 Murano? I would really appreciate if someone can give a step by step instructions on that..

Thank you in advance.