Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Ran the touchstone wire from the cigarette lighter/power source through the center console, and up through the front/top of that area where you see the wire exit and attach to the the touchstone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I updating my pics because the surfaces of my dash are curved and I could not get a flush contact with the TS (the next morning my TS had fallen off), so I had a box of Velcro Extreme strips leftover from mounting my ipod case to my car's dash and problem solved and now I have my pre right next to me charging while I drive, playing my music, so cool. I think the TS is one of the pre's best features.
    Hey, I recognize that dash. 04 Mazda6? I have a 06 Mazdaspeed6 (same dash though) and have been trying to find a good place to mount my TS. That seems like the best place as far as line of sight, but I don't like the idea of being right infront of the airvent. Have you had any problems with HVAC operation with it mounted there? I am in MN and use my heat HEAVILY this time of year.
    Thanks
    This is a cool thread, I got so many ideas out of it
    Yea im still trying to figure out what im going to do but this is a cool thread. It seems like the easyiest way for me will be buying a proclip and sticking the touchstone on it but im afraid because of the angle the mount is at my phone is either going to be tilted back to much or foward to much. What you guys think? I may just give up and go with a regular proclip and palm car charger.

Tools

Also...My radio has no aux input. Doesn anyone have any ideas for a 2006 hummer h3 nav radio? I cant find an adapter that works with it for aux input.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I went with the ProClip and the Touchstone attached to it. Seems very stable even over rough roads - magnets seem more than strong enough. Works great in my Acura TL.

-wamiller
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Can you post a picture?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    The following is a letter I sent to palm a long time ago (10/16/2009). Unfortunately they didn't even open the enclosure, probably because I asked that the enclosed design not be used by Palm without my consent. WELL I give up on communicating with Palm. Read on:

Dear Mr. Luftman,

Thank you for taking my letter. I am a hardware developer who was given your contact information by Candace. I described to her, as I will describe to you, an accessory I have designed for the Palm Pre. Enclosed are sheets documenting the form and function of the accessory as currently designed.
    I am seeking to license technology from Palm that is part and parcel of the accessory, namely for use in inductive charging. If, instead, Palm would prefer to produce said tool itself or through one of its existing partners, I am also open to an agreement thereof.
    I was told to be brief so if you would like clarification concerning any of the enclosed items, please contact me at <snip>.

Thank you for your time.
    I am very much appreciative.
    Sincerely,

Ruben Kertesz

-------------------------------

The enclosure contains:

The following design is for a car cradle that incorporates the following functions:

1. Physical support of phone by way of a cradle including bottom, side and rear support for said phone. Said cradle is designed to allow sliding of the screen up and down, exposing the keyboard underneath.
    2. Magnetic support of phone by way of magnetic force between cradle and phone back.
    3. Audio connectivity by way of headphone jack cable. Headphone jack mechanism (if included in product as part of crade or as an add-on) is implemented as part of a spring hinged slide, allowing the user to guide the phone into the cradle such that the cable is correctly positioned in the headphone jack. The hinged slide-cable assembly further allows the user to do so using one hand. The mechanism provides visual and tactile feedback alerting the user that a proper connection has been established between the phone and assembly and allows for connectivity with slider in open (screen up) or closed (screen down) position.
    4. Positioning of hinge mechanism such that the user may only allow phone to rotate along hinge axis, ensuring proper positioning of phone over magnetic support points as well as for the safe removal of phone is allowed via lifting of phone from magnetic back.
    5. Inclusion of grip locations such that phone may be gripped from sides of cradle at specified locations, allowing for the contact, placement, and removal of phone without obstruction from cradle.
    6. Use of any of the following for attachment of cradle to vehicle: (1) adhesive backing; (2) attachment to air ventilation; (3) attachment to another attachment accessory such as a windshield mount.
    7. Specification of materials for use in specified locations within cradle such that heat dissipation is maximized, specifically concerning heat generated during inductive charging, the preferred metal being Aluminum.
    8. Possible inclusion of a heat sink if deemed necessary to maintain proper operational temperature for phone use.

The following pages show images of the prototype created the meets the aforementioned functions as closely as possible using technology currently available to me. Please note the modification of the Touchstone inductive charger as currently sold by Palm by way of removing the steel weight.

[I attached the Pages as Images to the Post]

Let me know if you guys think I had a good idea or not and maybe if it was silly of me to contact Palm.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    dude! that is sic! very noice; HELLO PALM ***read this*** this is a much needed and desired accessory, kinda missin the boat here dontcha think?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Its ******** that we need to custom make this thing. Think there is a opportunity to make money if you can market a product.
    Personally I would love to see a air duct mount that would lock the phone in place securely some how and have touchstone built in.
    I think we should see some solution though soon with pre probably tripling its user base when its for sale with all the big networks.
    I have a 2009 Ford Fusion with the Microsoft Sync and I attached the Touchstone to the dash. I wanted to be able to remove the Touchstone if I needed to. Here's my setup:

1. Palm OEM Car charger
    2. Palm Touchstone
    3. Generic GPS Mounting disk (adhesive on side, flat plastic on the other)

I was going to wire the charger into the glove box in the middle of the dash (and I still may do that) but right now i have the cable tucked into the area between the soft dash and the head unit.

It was easy, no cutting, soldering, or risk of shocking myself and it looks pretty damn good. The phone stays there 99% of the time. I have to hit something pretty damn hard to get the pre to fall.

It's in a great location for GPS directions and I can see what music is playing. It's close enough to read a text message and is within arms reach.

Enjoy!

Tim
    Last edited by bigredgpk; 01/09/2010 at 10:59 AM.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Here is a pic of my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 with my Pre sitting on a Touchstone mounted to a ProClip with two-sided tape used to stick on trim to cars. I haven't routed the power wire into the dash et because I still need to complete a guage install in the dash. The Pre pairs with the Pioneer Avic-BT700, but only since the recent software/maps upgrade. Dow in the bottom of the pic are a trailer brake controller on the left, a Kenwood TM-D710 Ham Radio and a Cherokee CM-10 CB Radio.

Greg
    I can't post a pic...
    ...until I have...
    ...10 posts...
    ...so it'll be on the next one and I'll repost the whole thing.
    Here is a pic of my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 with my Pre sitting on a Touchstone mounted to a ProClip with two-sided tape used to stick on trim to cars. I haven't routed the power wire into the dash yet because I still need to complete a guage install in the dash. The Pre pairs with the Pioneer Avic-BT700, but only since the recent software/maps upgrade. Down in the bottom of the pic are a Tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller on the left, a Kenwood TM-D710 Ham Radio and a Cherokee CM-10 CB Radio.

Greg

Well i mounted my touchstone just now. Im gonna take a pic tomorrow durring the day for you guys. I just went with velcro no proclip. Someone should make an auto dimming app that dims the pre at night so this thing doesnt blind me.
    Sorry this isn't with a touchstone, but here is how I use my Pre on my HD. Figured since it was a mounting option - this would be an appropriate place to put this for the motorcycle people out there. This pouch is made for an iPhone / iPod Touch, but the Pre fits in perfect and it can be used in the rain. I use it for long rides as my navigation unit. The Pre slides in the top, and you can do all functions through the clear protective cover. I was very surprised how well the screen shows up even in full sunlight. The case itself has four magnets on the back that are sewn into the backing material that hold it in place (i've gone up to about 95 and it doesn't budge). I made a hole in the side for the car charger adapter - and it works great. If anyone is interested, the HD part number is 91003-10 and can be found on EBay for around $30.00 or $39.95 from any HD shop. HD calls it a "Boom! Audio Tank Pouch"

Last edited by firefinder24; 01/08/2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: updated info.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by alvin319 View Post
    Sometimes it is very hard to keep my eyes on the road.
    I'll make sure to stay away from St Augustine, FL then.
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Sorry this isn't with a touchstone, but here is how I use my Pre on my HD. Figured since it was a mounting option - this would be an appropriate place to put this for the motorcycle people out there. This pouch is made for an iPhone / iPod Touch, but the Pre fits in perfect and it can be used in the rain. I use it for long rides as my navigation unit. The Pre slides in the top, and you can do all functions through the clear protective cover. I was very surprised how well the screen shows up even in full sunlight. The case itself has four magnets on the back that are sewn into the backing material that hold it in place (i've gone up to about 95 and it doesn't budge). I made a hole in the side for the car charger adapter - and it works great. If anyone is interested, the HD part number is 91003-10 and can be found on EBay for around $30.00 or $39.95 from any HD shop. HD calls it a "Boom! Audio Tank Pouch"
    That is a nice solution! Is there anyway to charge the Pre with that pouch? If you had a way to clip the Pre to a Touchstone (like some of the car mods here) that would be pretty sweet to have on a motorcycle.

Tim
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about