Page 17 of 45 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    So what is the most reliable and simplest install?

Palm Pre Car Charger > TS or

Palm Pre USB Car Charger Adapter > Palm USB Cable > TS or

Third party product > TS...

I was thinking of getting the Palm Pre USB Car Charger adapter only because it comes with another official Palm cable. (Can anyone tell me the length of this cable?)

BTW I have a 2007 Mazda 3. Thinking of using the Velcro Install version so I can move it between office and car.
    I tried my home's touchstone charger ( I never removed the plastic of off the sticky surface) and it was kinda of cool. When a phone call comes in the caller's voice comes over my stereo's speakers and the since the the Pre is in speaker phone mode when on the charger it's all set for handsfree calling. One thing I did notice, since the 1.3.1 update, you know have to turn the car's stereo volume up to hear the caller's voice. Has anybody else noticed this?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I was looking at the ProClip Palm Pre Mount, and seeing a significant amount of space between the back of the Pre and the middle of the mount, I wonder if it would be possible to modify a touchstone to fit in this space and be placed to connect properly with the Pre. This would be the best of both worlds with car mounting, as you get the wireless charging of the touchstone, as well as the Proclip mount giving the phone extra security from flying away.

Proclip Pre mount: [insert proclip URL here]/brodit-device-holder/palm-pre/holder-with-tilt-swivel-511027-17545.aspx
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I just got around to spending the money to get extra touchstones for our 2 cars. I just figured out the place I wanted to mount each one and I used Sculpey (clay you mold then bake to become ceramic-ish--from the craft store), painted it black, then screwed that mount to the desired place on the dash (a black screw-hole can easily be patched when its time to sell the car). The mold secures to the Touchstone with 3M stick-on adhesive. The Sculpey solved the problem of angling the Pre so I could use it for navigation and music but not lose sight of the road while driving. I hid the wires by running them behind the dash too. I do use the cigarette lighter adapter b/c none of the USB ports provide enough power for the touchstone. I got the touchstone dock from amazon $35 free shipping, and the Palm USB car charger $20 free shipping. I tried several other USB cables with chargers and standalone car chargers too, but they just wont power the touchstone. The Palm USB car charger has a 2.5ft cable which helps reduce loss of power (b/c its short) and it fits without having to shave the ends. And the magnet in the touchstone holds the phone securely, even at a 90-degree angle on turns and bumps (just dont expect it to hold if you have the back protected with a case). It looks awesome and I just wish I'd thought of it sooner!
    besides liquidaux, anybody use it to stream to your stereo deck over bluetooth for BOTH calls and music from the Pre?
    Last edited by drinkwd40; 11/28/2009 at 10:28 PM.
    Posting this from a new thread I made, I didnt know this existed.

So my girlfriend got the pixi this weekend from BB and they had touchstones on sale for $39.99. So that plus the discount for buying a new phone I couldnít resist picking up a 3rd touchstone for about $20 and adding it to my car. Here are the details.

-Standard cigarette lighter from auto parts store
    -Palm brand car charger for Pre
    -16ga wire run from battery for +
    - 11/32" hole drilled through firewall
    -12ga wire grounded to chassis (had the wire lying around)
    -1min set time epoxy used to secure touchstone (with gecko pad removed) to dash.

Thatís about it! It was a very simply install to be honest. I cannot see it as well as I'd like while driving but thatís not really the point. I wanted to be able to charge it while being able to watch for LED alerts. It saves me from having a mess of wires by my gear shift and I can also see it well enough to make use of Trapster or Sprint Navigation.

I'd be more than willing to take additional pictures or provide any more details to anyone looking to do the same!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Having paid full price for a touchstone and a pre way back at launch, I wasn't willing to shell out more money for a way to mount the touchstone in my car - and I really need something removable because I only want it for long trips, which is quite seldom. But for Thanksgiving I needed it, so I went to it with a velcro strip and a wire tie...

Laugh if you want, but it worked great - the viewing angle is perfect, it doesn't budge, and it charges up fine (I had to use an AC/DC inverter and then the regular palm charger, because I don't even own a pre car charger).

Still, the problems are obvious - it blocks some of my radio controls (not that I used it; ran music remix app instead b/c I didn't want to always be hitting the power button on my stereo when sprint nav wanted to give me directions) and being right in front of the vents I chose not to run my heater during the drive as I would have liked to.

Regardless, I'm happy with my makeshift work...
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    So I found a scrap piece of metal today at work and figured I'd make myself a car mount for my touchstone. I forgot to take a picture of the scrap before I cut it so I'll lead off my pictures with the cut piece sitting with the left over metal.

And here the mount is sitting on my tool box like it will on my dash.

Side Shot.

I decided to velcro the touchstone to the mount because of the stories i've heard on here about summer temperatures affecting the unit. This way I can just throw it in the glove box in the summer.

Touchstone on the mount.

I added a small piece of foam to the bottom so just in case the phone does bounce off the mount it won't slam into metal when it falls.

And shots of it in my jeep.

Now all I need is someone to write me a patch to turn no doze on as soon as the phone starts charging.
    Quote Originally Posted by sousy View Post
    Now all I need is someone to write me a patch to turn no doze on as soon as the phone starts charging.
    Someone did something similar here (phone won't timeout while charging on touchstone); sounds worth a try for you.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse.
    Just picked up my TS from the Shack today (on sale for $39.99 w/TS back), so cool, I drive alot for work so this is going to work out perfect. Gonna have my Pandora tunes playing and don't have to search for my phone when a call comes in. Great buy, purchased 2 more, one for each of my kids.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    I thought the palm auto adapter that bestbuy was selling was the old part number that used to be listed for compatibility with the 800w and known not to work with the pre or the touchstone? In fact, when I look it up on best buy's site a reviewer says that it won't work correctly with his pre. This has also been confirmed by others on this site. This is the only reason I am using the sprint car charger for my touchstone.

Holy gadget overload, batman!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I updating my pics because the surfaces of my dash are curved and I could not get a flush contact with the TS (the next morning my TS had fallen off), so I had a box of Velcro Extreme strips leftover from mounting my ipod case to my car's dash and problem solved and now I have my pre right next to me charging while I drive, playing my music, so cool. I think the TS is one of the pre's best features.
    Last edited by netwrkr9; 12/09/2009 at 01:46 PM.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I had started my thread before this one... but I will post here as well....

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-car-dock.html
    Hey guys... I just traded in m older G35 for a 2010 FX.... Heres what I did with a few pieces from one of my fav companies... ProClip Usa and industrial velcro...

BTW The Bluetooth intergration is amazing in this Model... Instant phonebook, music streaming, etc....
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    well i finally got around to installing the touchstone in my car hehe i love it it looks great and its pretty usefull i bought a piece of metal from home depot for like 50 cents and drilled a few holes and bam! really sturdy and doesnt seem likes its gonna fall of also use a pieced of velcro to hold the touchstone to metal from slipping heres some pictures of it let me know what you think. Oh btw its on 1990 Nissan 240sx woot!
    The Offspring..... got to keep em separated !

Quote Originally Posted by sousy View Post
    So I found a scrap piece of metal today at work and figured I'd make myself a car mount for my touchstone. I forgot to take a picture of the scrap before I cut it so I'll lead off my pictures with the cut piece sitting with the left over metal.

And here the mount is sitting on my tool box like it will on my dash.

If I am not mistaken could you not install timepeace and I think that has a setting to leave the phone on while on the touchstone.
    Got an aux line added to my Aztek's stereo for Christmas and installed the Touchstone with a ProClip mount and Palm car charger:

I was looking at doing this but I ran into a problem with the aux input on my car. When a call come in and I answer it the sound from the callers comes in great for me but everyone I talk to says they hear an echo. Anybody have a solution to this?
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I took an inexpensive suction cup squeeze mount and removed the clamps. The sticky stuff on the bottom of the Touchstone came off because of the heat, so I used double sticky tape which has worked well. Good thing the suction cup mount was inexpensive as I have no idea how to put it back together.

PC300474md.jpg

The mount covers the choke, but I'm able to reach behind and pull the choke out when it's cold which doesn't happen often in So Cal.

PC300476md.jpg PC300477md.jpg

My radio has Bluetooth audio and handset. This allows me to play Pandora or RadioTime while driving. The phone is high enough that I can see the screen when running Sprint Navigation. It's easy to remove and doesn't damage my old MG. Calls come in clear and best of all they can hear me over the loud exhaust, wind noise and rattles of the MG.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bo4uofm View Post
    I was looking at doing this but I ran into a problem with the aux input on my car. When a call come in and I answer it the sound from the callers comes in great for me but everyone I talk to says they hear an echo. Anybody have a solution to this?
    I had the same problem when I was using an Aux cable with my radio before I bought a radio with Bluetooth. I wonder if it's the cable, that if a headphone only cable would work correctly. I've read on this forum of others that were able to get this to work, which is why I thought of the cable.