Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Very nice solution. This shoudl work nicely for my touchstone. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I would suggest getting a Proclip vehicle mount. It has a flat surface so you can just stick the Touchstone on it. Here is one of the mounting options for an '09 F-150:

I like that option because its in the line of sight. The mounts do not damage your vehicle's interior nor need special tools to install. They have two other options. Just check out the website
    I promised these photos a while ago and never got around to posting them, but here they are now.

These photos are of my portable Touchstone charger that you can use in multiple vehicles (personal car[s], friends' cars, rental cars, etc.) as well as indoors (office, friends' houses, hotel room, etc.) just by changing the plug attached to the USB end from a car plug to a wall plug.

In the car, you put it in the cupholder. In buildings, it stands by itself.

It is made from a Belkin brand iPod cupholder holder that I got for less than $10 on Amazon. I took the suction cup off the tray where the iPod was made to sit and I tilted the tray backwards so that where the iPod's bottom was made to be is now the top. I threaded the USB cord through the slot in the tray and it is perfectly aligned with the opening in the Touchstone where you plug the cord into. I then used the three cord keepers on the bottom side of the tray to keep the cord tucked in tightly and neatly from the Touchstone. The excess length of cord easily fits in the open cup area of the cupholder part - if you need little, just take out a little. If you need a longer length, take out a longer length. But you won't have excess cord getting in your way/looking ugly in either your car or indoors.

The cord and wall plug are the Palm brand (such as what comes with the Pre). The car plug I got from some discount site thanks to another poster who posted about it on here. It has two USB plugs, but the max is 1000mA so I don't think you can charge a second item while you're charging the Pre. It also was less than $10 I believe.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bag of Leaves; 10/22/2009 at 02:04 AM.
    Wow! Thats a great way to do it. Thanks
    Anyone own a Saab and tried this? I don't own a Touchstone but I think I will buy one and try it in my Saab--I have an idea with the cup holder that comes out of the dash.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by short_round View Post
    Anyone own a Saab and tried this? I don't own a Touchstone but I think I will buy one and try it in my Saab--I have an idea with the cup holder that comes out of the dash.
    I have a 95 and have a belkin cup holder converted to the touchstone, works well . Am using the fold down cup holder?

brought the model that suits the ipod shuffle then trimmed a little off it, cost was $3 from TJ Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    I promised these photos a while ago and never got around to posting them, but here they are now.

These photos are of my portable Touchstone charger that you can use in multiple vehicles (personal car[s], friends' cars, rental cars, etc.) as well as indoors (office, friends' houses, hotel room, etc.) just by changing the plug attached to the USB end from a car plug to a wall plug.

In the car, you put it in the cupholder. In buildings, it stands by itself.

It is made from a Belkin brand iPod cupholder holder that I got for less than $10 on Amazon. I took the suction cup off the tray where the iPod was made to sit and I tilted the tray backwards so that where the iPod's bottom was made to be is now the top. I threaded the USB cord through the slot in the tray and it is perfectly aligned with the opening in the Touchstone where you plug the cord into. I then used the three cord keepers on the bottom side of the tray to keep the cord tucked in tightly and neatly from the Touchstone. The excess length of cord easily fits in the open cup area of the cupholder part - if you need little, just take out a little. If you need a longer length, take out a longer length. But you won't have excess cord getting in your way/looking ugly in either your car or indoors.

The cord and wall plug are the Palm brand (such as what comes with the Pre). The car plug I got from some discount site thanks to another poster who posted about it on here. It has two USB plugs, but the max is 1000A so I don't think you can charge a second item while you're charging the Pre. It also was less than $10 I believe.
    Nice work! I really like that this solution is portable. By the way, an exceptionally minor point, but I think you meant 1000mA, not 1000A (which would be a pretty outstanding amount of current, even at very low voltage).

I think this is exactly the kind of thing that I will try. Thanks!
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I have a pro clip holder for a treo 755 and I've found that a Pre with an innocase will fit in it and there's still enough space behind it to slide the touchstone into the proper place. So when I get time, I'll scrape off the fuzz on the inside of pro clip and use some sort of adhesive to hold the touchstone in place.
    Hey I have a Pro clip for the iphone and attached is a picture of the touchstone charger installed in the proclip for the iphone. Also attached is a picture of the palm pre in the iphone proclip holder without the touchstone (incidentally I HAD to take the picture with the iphone).

All we need now is video recording and I can leave the iphone home.
    Here's my Pre on the TS in my Mercury Mariner.
    I wonder if the closeness to the gear shift explains why I get the charging sound whenever I switch from park to drive or reverse?
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    Here's my Pre on the TS in my Mercury Mariner.
    I wonder if the closeness to the gear shift explains why I get the charging sound whenever I switch from park to drive or reverse?
    That happens to me, too. I have mine mounted on high on the dash, though. Its something to do with the drop in voltage when you shift.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Nice work! I really like that this solution is portable. By the way, an exceptionally minor point, but I think you meant 1000mA, not 1000A (which would be a pretty outstanding amount of current, even at very low voltage).

I think this is exactly the kind of thing that I will try. Thanks!
    Whoops! Thanks for the correction! I fixed it in the previous post so nobody gets confused. I don't know all that much about electrical currents, though the photo I took of the car plug does say "1000mA" on it so I guess I could've just looked at that!

But, yeah, this solution works well. I've used it in a hotel room, but forgot to bring it for the rental car the one day we rented a car that trip (dumb move), and it does work well for travel (though it takes up a bit of space in your carry-on, but it still fit in mine so I'd say it can fit in most ppl's bags). If the car's cup holder is small, you just slide the rubber sleeve off and it should fit. The thing also comes with two other sized cups, but this size works just fine for me so far (fits with the rubber sleeve in my car perfectly). The rubber sleeve keeps the cup from wobbling on a desk/table due to my screwing the tray the Touchstone sits on down to the lowest point (the triangular bottom sticks out a bit from the bottom), but the edges are also rounded so even with the tray at a higher point, I'd feel better with the rubber stabilizer anyway.

But, yes, that's a point I forgot to make - in those photos I have the tray at the lowest point. You can make it higher if you want it higher, like in your car you might like it higher (but the lowest point seems best for desk use, IMO). All you do is spin the tray around like you do with some chairs to make them higher.
    I had to replace my Pre car charger today and discovered the new chargers will now fit the touchstone without any modifications. I was very happy to find this out. I was ready to modify the old one. I work in law enforcement and it is very cool to use the touchstone in the patrol car attached to the glass screen of the mobile terminal we use...LOL. Will post a pic next week when I go back to work.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I found a very simple solution that works great for me. I have a power inverter in my car that I bought at Walmart for 25 bucks. I use it to plug my laptop in when I'm traveling. I plug my Touchstone to this and it works perfectly. But you have to use the wall plug that comes with your charger,I tried just using the usb end and it did not work. I will try to post some pics.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Got mine done finally, but no photos avail... used the t/s with car adapter.. magnet holds well and it looks great... LOVE THE PRE...
    Just got my Touchstone on Wednesday and my ProClip on Thursday. I moved my iPod from its location above my vent down to my console and mounted the Touchstone in the iPod previous place.

Thanks to all of you adventurous souls for the inspiration and confirmation that this would work. I truly enjoy the clean install and the lack of drama having to deal with that little cover to plug the phone in.

By the way, my Pre has only fallen off once, when I got frustrated and really laid on the gas to get around a slow driver . Otherwise, no issues.

IMG_7423.JPG

IMG_7424.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by golfingtigger View Post
    By the way, my Pre has only fallen off once, when I got frustrated and really laid on the gas to get around a slow driver .
    New feature of the Palm Pre: It cures road rage because nobody wants to make their Pre fall!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Wow! I thought I was thinking outside the box wanting a Touchstone in my car, I just ordered 3 TS pads, 1 for the office, 1 for bedroom and 1 for the car, (got 1 in the living room already).

Glad to see others doing it, AND it works! I am loving this phone more and more.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!
    David E Thurman
    Downstate Illinois ARPH Representative/Coordinator

david.e.thurman@gmail.com
    (309) 222-5211 (mobile - text)
    @aussierescueil (twitter)
    www.aussierescueil.com (blog)

"Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." Mark Twain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bag of Leaves View Post
    New feature of the Palm Pre: It cures road rage because nobody wants to make their Pre fall!
    Wow, you're right
    Has anyone had any trouble with the touchstone & pre "recharging" each time you hit the brake? I just recently decided to setup a ts in my car via the "add a circuit" method in my fusebox to a hidden lighter outlet. I bought the palm car charger (pn 3453 as recommended in prior findings) and it resets the charge each and everytime I hit the brake. I drive an 04 Grand Am if it's relavent

Eh... nevermind, I got it. I went to wal-mart and bought the usb car charger for the t-mobile mytouch and its all gravy now, lol. It's rated at 5v 1.0A same as the palm one but this one kinda... works
    Last edited by Trinks; 11/01/2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerboy View Post
    Ok guys these pics were taken with my Pre..

I just temporarily tapped the wire for now soon when I have time and get off my lazy **** i will hide the wire by routing it through one of the vents directly below the touchstone
    I have the same car...what bracket did you use to mount your ts?