Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    I am sure Car Toys will make custom mounts like that for around $70 all day long. I don't think they intend to make a product out of it, but who knows...
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Finished the touchstone mount in my Xterra. Went with the DC-to-DC converter box method. It works awesome. No surges in voltage at all. Attached the touchstone via double sided 3M high strength tape as others have used.

Just wanted to thank everyone for posting their procedures for the various methods.

Pics below

DSC05474.JPG

DSC05477.JPG
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pieler8 View Post
    Finished the touchstone mount in my Xterra. Went with the DC-to-DC converter box method. It works awesome. No surges in voltage at all. Attached the touchstone via double sided 3M high strength tape as others have used.

Just wanted to thank everyone for posting their procedures for the various methods.

Pics below

DSC05474.JPG

DSC05477.JPG
    Nice setup are you getting any "engine noise" with the converter setup? I have the palm charger and it charges fine but I can hear a constant "hiss" when the charger is connected.
    Last edited by lobody94; 09/29/2009 at 06:50 AM.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    I can't hear any noise at all. I have it stashed under the dash, close to where the wheel goes through. Everything is hidden wires and all.
    Finished the touchstone mount in my Xterra. Went with the DC-to-DC converter box method. It works awesome. No surges in voltage at all.
    pieler8,
    Would you mind specifying which DC-to-DC converter you used for your install?
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Sure, I ordered this one from Jameco.com

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...gDrillDownView

then I followed the way Nurgling and several others installed it with an add-a-circuit for the fuse box, and cutting a female USB wire.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...converter.html
    Sure, I ordered this one from Jameco.com

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...gDrillDownView

then I followed the way Nurgling and several others installed it with an add-a-circuit for the fuse box, and cutting a female USB wire.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...converter.html
    Great. This seems to support the theory of the touchstone needing a true regulated power supply. The basic run-of-the-mill voltage converters that plug into a cig lighter won't universally work because they either won't supply enough current, or enough voltage (or both). The regulated power supply will maintain it's constant 5 volt output even if the car's battery voltage dips down to 9 volts. A regular adapter just can't do that.
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
    Didn't know where to put the touchstone in my civic hybrid as I wanted the touchstone to be within easy reach. Decided on going with a joby gorillapod and hooked it onto the emergency brake. Attached the Touchstone with the included stickypad. Perfect location from what I can tell so far: close to the audio jack and the gorillapod lifts the touchstone into an easy accessible location
    IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg
    so I have been rocking the touchstone in my car few months now using official palm car charger and usb cabel from accessory plug to touch stone been working great without a hitch. Today touchstone stopped charging my phone so I took it home in the house worked great then I grabbed the house touch stone to try in cat no luck.

Car charger to phone works fine
    usb cabel to invertor usb port works as well
    invertor is powered fine from accsory plug.

although the charger works fine when going to the phone I feel like its the car charger that is not powering my touchstone and I can not figure out why.. Its been working great all this time what could be causing this.. Anyone with some knowldge how these things work have an insight the can please throwmy way
    MatterOfFactJack
    Good evening!

I see a number of great installations of the Palm Touchstone. Fot those that may own a Ford Edge, this is how I mounted the Touchstone. Only half of the Touchstone has velcro on the bottom. It is stable and works great. Angle is perfect, as long as you install upside down. No problem with bumps and such. Using the palm car adapter.

My iPhone friends are jealous.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ledunn View Post
    Good evening!

I see a number of great installations of the Palm Touchstone. Fot those that may own a Ford Edge, this is how I mounted the Touchstone. Only half of the Touchstone has velcro on the bottom. It is stable and works great. Angle is perfect, as long as you install upside down. No problem with bumps and such. Using the palm car adapter.

My iPhone friends are jealous.

Regards
    nice work. why do you have two nuvi?
    MatterOfFactJack
    There are a number of reasons.
    First when you are navigating, you get only the immediate view. Since the navigation is not always accurate, I want to be able to have the big picture so that I can make decisions. Tactical vs Strategic. Also I can be navigating and get MSN info and such. Plus if you have a right seat driver (you know what I mean), they can do their thing.
    There are a number of reasons.
    First when you are navigating, you get only the immediate view. Since the navigation is not always accurate, I want to be able to have the big picture so that I can make decisions. Tactical vs Strategic. Also I can be navigating and get MSN info and such. Plus if you have a right seat driver (you know what I mean), they can do their thing.
    haha very interesting . oh ya... is this a ranger edge... i have never seen such a fancy edge before.
    MatterOfFactJack
    2010 Ford Edge, the crossover. I guess it is on a ranger chassis. Never thought about it.
    2010 Ford Edge, the crossover. I guess it is on a ranger chassis. Never thought about it.
    The Ford Edge is not built on the Ford Ranger chassis. The Edge uses the same chassis as the Taurus, Mazda CX-7 & CX-9 (FWD or AWD platforms). The Ranger is a body-on-frame, RWD or 4WD smaller chassis.

I'm excited...my extra Touchstone is on its way from Precentral.net store and I have a ProClip mount awaiting it. My wife's is up in her '06 Mitsubishi Endeavor. A nice inline-view for her! (I'll try to take a better pic during the day)

Edit: Just installed our third Touchstone in my '07 Mazda CX-9
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BMIC50; 10/06/2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Hey we have the same car stereo!!!!
    I got my TS and Palm car charger today, so I'm going to install it over the weekend in my Mercury Mariner.
    I can hardly wait to post some pics, all of the ones I've seen here have inspired me to try.
    All the pictures look great
    Has anyone attempted to mount the Touchstone in a 2009 Ford F150 yet? I'd like to see some pictures to help with my planning.

This is basicly what my dash looks like.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by nutflush920 View Post
    Has anyone attempted to mount the Touchstone in a 2009 Ford F150 yet? I'd like to see some pictures to help with my planning.

This is basicly what my dash looks like.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest getting a Proclip vehicle mount. It has a flat surface so you can just stick the Touchstone on it. Here is one of the mounting options for an '09 F-150:

I like that option because its in the line of sight. The mounts do not damage your vehicle's interior nor need special tools to install. They have two other options. Just check out the website