Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    I was thinking about doing this, but it would be awesome if somehow it could be made into some sort of cradle. In my head I am picturing something sort of like my sirius radio cradle where it has a power in, and an audio out, weather it would use some sort of blue tooth, so when it is in my car and charging in the touchstone bluetooth cradle, i can have it ran through my aux jack in my car and use for music and calls...
    Alright, so I've been thinking about installing the Touchstone in my car. It seems like a great thing to do. Using the Palm car charger and my aux input, I took a long trip without the Touchstone and drove with nav and music the whole way, which was great. Except for one thing, the ground loop caused my aux input to cut out. So, since you can isolate a ground loop either through the audio connection or the power connection, I figured using the Touchstone as an experiment would work.

And yes, no ground loop using the Touchstone. I took a trip over the weekend and this time used the Touchstone and an aux input with no ground loop issues. However, there was one minor issue: it seems that the Touchstone couldn't keep up when I had Sprint Navigation running and music playing. It charged with just Navigation running, but fell behind ever so slowly with music playing as well (not Pandora, just music loaded on the Pre). I was disappointed about that.

Does this match others experiences? Does your Touchstone keep up with Navigation and music running simultaneously?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I don't own a Pre (still on a Centro), but what it sounds like you all need for the touchstone to work more universally in a car is a dc-dc regulated power supply of about 10w (2000 mA max). If the correct one is chosen, it would accept a range of voltages at it's input such as 9-18vdc, and would provide a tightly regulated output voltage of 5v. This would wire directly to 12v in your car, output 5v for the touchstone, and accomodate cars with more voltage loss. A regulated power supply will provide a constant output voltage even as your input voltage drops. This is why hitting the brakes or turning on the headlights is causing problems with the other "adapters". The ones being tried are truly only "Voltage Adapters". What it sounds like is needed is a more robust solution in a true regulated power supply. A quick 10 sec. google search turned up one from Cosel for $30 that does all this. It would be mounted under the dash, wired up, and hidden.
    SUCS101205B, Cosel SUCS101205B DC/DC Converter

Maybe someone could examine the specs and try it out. Or at least spend some time to look for something with similar specs to it. A unit with specs like this will have a high likelihood of working for everybody. It's just a little harder to install than a simple plug-in adapter.
    Palm Pilot Professional --> TRGPro --> Treo 650 --> Centro (AT&T) + 4 Pixis on Sprint Family Plan
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Alright, so I've been thinking about installing the Touchstone in my car. It seems like a great thing to do. Using the Palm car charger and my aux input, I took a long trip without the Touchstone and drove with nav and music the whole way, which was great. Except for one thing, the ground loop caused my aux input to cut out. So, since you can isolate a ground loop either through the audio connection or the power connection, I figured using the Touchstone as an experiment would work.

And yes, no ground loop using the Touchstone. I took a trip over the weekend and this time used the Touchstone and an aux input with no ground loop issues. However, there was one minor issue: it seems that the Touchstone couldn't keep up when I had Sprint Navigation running and music playing. It charged with just Navigation running, but fell behind ever so slowly with music playing as well (not Pandora, just music loaded on the Pre). I was disappointed about that.

Does this match others experiences? Does your Touchstone keep up with Navigation and music running simultaneously?
    i used it for about 45min yesterday just to test this i was doing it with Pandora and navigation and it continued to charge just fine.
    MatterOfFactJack
    You mean you had a charging indicator or you mean you gained charge over 45 min? I had the charge indicator the whole time, I just lost charge very slowly.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I was wondering about using magnets glued to the back of the Touchstone mount it to the dash. Do you think that would cause a problem with the Touchstone?
    Ignore my dusty dashboard, please.
    I put in the images, but they were huge, so here's the link instead.
    Index of /images/CarMount
    Last edited by mnementh9999; 09/16/2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: To send a link instead of the huge photo's
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I know I really need to clean it!

I live in San Ramon too, funny.
    haha im in danville
    Quote Originally Posted by mnementh9999 View Post
    Ignore my dusty dashboard, please.
    I put in the images, but they were huge, so here's the link instead.
    Index of /images/CarMount
    That looks horrible! And you really, really did drill into your dashboard.
    Let me guess, You're also the proud owner of a tattoo?!
    Parts:

Pro Clip mount
    Mean Well 15 watt single output DC-DConverter (SD-15A-5)
    Blackberry Music Gateway

I had a terrible time finding a power source that didnít cause the charging ĒdanceĒ in my car, so I finally ordered the DC converter. Same price as a cigarette lighter power adapter but much higher quality circuit design and regulated power. Now the Touchstone works without fail, even on very hot days. I tapped of a switched circuit for the power supply, so when my key is off, I donít have to worry about the battery draining. Had to do the USB cable mod for the Touchstone. I wired both the TS and the Bluetooth USB cables to the power supply output. Since I had 3 amps to play with I figured there was enough juice. The BB music gateway works very well. No static, good sound and itís small so I shoved it behind the dash and never have to worry about it.

The Pre charges rapidly, even with navigation and music streaming.

Oh, and I permanently epoxied the touchstone to the mount. Guess Iím not afraid of commitment! It would be cool if inductive charging became commonplace, then when itís time to sell my car it will be a cool feature for anyone with a cellphone. As it stands, I guess the car will have to go to a good home of a Palm Pre owner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A lot of you guys using the touchstone and the pre in your vehicle would benefit from that sticky back that Dieter just put up on the homepage. Worth checking out at least.....

It would save the phone from falling off the charger when your driving.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Can someone recommend a usb cord for me looking for something i can pick up quick and cheap. I have the charger that works. Took back my expensive palm charger and lost the good usb cable. Anyone have any suggestions for a new one?

Once i get my cable i will get some pics of the install in the truck it should turn out really good.

Had some metal bent and painted black, at work to fit a cubby hole that i never use.
    I wanted a car mount for my Pre but do not have a single flat surface in my 2008 Toyota Highlander. So that leaves a cup holder car mount but they are notoriously unstable. The iCup is too soft and has no height.

Pre Cup Holder Car Mount Goals:
    1. Really solid - no play - no flopping - no squishiness.
    2. High enough to put the Pre right at hand height.
    3. Keep it simple to remove and stow out of sight when parked.
    4. Use a Touchstone for simple drop and play.
    5. Connect 3.5 mm headphone out to 3.5 mm Aux in.
    6. Hide the cords as much as possible.

That leaves a cupholder...that would hide the cables.

Material List:
    1. 1' section of 2" PVC pipe (cut down to length) - $1
    2. 2" PVC coupling (to make it wide enough to be tight in the holder) -$2
    3. 2" stopper - $3

I had the Touchstone from the PreCentral Store ($49) and Sprint Car Charger ($10 from Trim71) with the top of the USB plug trimmed off to fit. 3.5 mm male to male 18" cable ($2monoprice.com).

Instructions:
    1. Cut the PVC pipe to a comfortable length to put the Pre right at fingertip height.
    2. Place the coupling on the end that goes in the cup holder and the stopper in the other end to give a flat surface.
    3. Drill a hole big enough for the cables at the top just clear of the stopper and a second hole below it just high enough to clear the side of the cup holder.
    4. Paint flat back to match Touchstone (or whatever color you like).
    5. Attach Touchstone to car mount with double-sided heavy duty mounting tape.

Rock solid. Easily removed. Photos below.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/21/2009 at 10:05 PM.
    Very nice cupholder mount!

I'm doing one with 3/4" PVC pipe, a 3/4" 90 degree elbow, and a yet to be determined "top" (a base for the Tstone) to glue to the top of the elbow.

The Palm car charger withe the detachable usb cable slips EXACTLY and snugly inside a piece of 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC pipe...it holds firm with no cement and you can remove it anytime you wish. I'm thinking plug the charger into the cigarette lighter, slip a 1" section of 3/4 pipe over the charger, add a 90 degree elbow pointing vertically upward, add a top (or base), and there you have it. $1.00 for the pipe, .29 for the elbow, and $1.00 for a flat, round plastic object (maybe a jar lid, etc). And then paint everything matte black.

I think I might like your idea better though. What exactly is the 2" "stopper" you refer to, is there another name for it? And where do you get it?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You mean you had a charging indicator or you mean you gained charge over 45 min? I had the charge indicator the whole time, I just lost charge very slowly.
    I mean that it gained charge with in that 45 min.. Not as fast as usual but still not bad.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    I wanted a car mount for my Pre but do not have a single flat surface in my 2008 Toyota Highlander. So that leaves a cup holder car mount but they are notoriously unstable. The iCup is too soft and has no height.

Pre Cup Holder Car Mount Goals:
    1. Really solid - no play - no flopping - no squishiness.
    2. High enough to put the Pre right at hand height.
    3. Keep it simple to remove and stow out of sight when parked.
    4. Use a Touchstone for simple drop and play.
    5. Connect 3.5 mm headphone out to 3.5 mm Aux in.
    6. Hide the cords as much as possible.

That leaves a cupholder...that would hide the cables.

Material List:
    1. 1' section of 2" PVC pipe (cut down to length) - $1
    2. 2" PVC coupling (to make it wide enough to be tight in the holder) -$2
    3. 2" stopper - $3

I had the Touchstone from the PreCentral Store ($49) and Sprint Car Charger ($10 from Trim71) with the top of the USB plug trimmed off to fit. 3.5 mm male to male 18" cable ($2monoprice.com).

Instructions:
    1. Cut the PVC pipe to a comfortable length to put the Pre right at fingertip height.
    2. Place the coupling on the end that goes in the cup holder and the stopper in the other end to give a flat surface.
    3. Drill a hole big enough for the cables at the top just clear of the stopper and a second hole below it just high enough to clear the side of the cup holder.
    4. Paint flat back to match Touchstone (or whatever color you like).
    5. Attach Touchstone to car mount with double-sided heavy duty mounting tape.

Rock solid. Easily removed. Photos below.

- Craig
    What about right on the wood using the geko sticky that the touch stone comes by default... it is amazing how well that thing holds and wont hurt the surface you put it on one bit

look i did that I do have a power socket in the back seat center counsel so it is easy for me to hide the wire.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1766284
    MatterOfFactJack
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Finally got my touchstone put in my car. Havn't driven around with it yet, but hopefully everything stays in place.

I actually have a flat shiny glossy surface that the touchstone just stuck too, which made mounting it in my car extremely simple. Hopefully it will hold up to the heat.

I am using a tape adapter to push the audio through my stereo (I don't have an aux in)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    Finally got my touchstone put in my car. Havn't driven around with it yet, but hopefully everything stays in place.

I actually have a flat shiny glossy surface that the touchstone just stuck too, which made mounting it in my car extremely simple. Hopefully it will hold up to the heat.

I am using a tape adapter to push the audio through my stereo (I don't have an aux in)
    That looks like an X5. I've used that spot for my TS as well. I like that it's not permanent.

I've also discovered that the TS will stick well to a leather briefcase. I recently traveled in a car with no flat surfaces to stick the TS to, and I ended up just laying my briefcase down in the passenger seat and sticking the TS to it. Worked great! Of course, that wouldn't work well if I had a passenger.

Also, the TS works as a ground loop isolator. So if anyone is considering an install of the TS in your car, you can skip looking into GLIs. Not sure if this is mentioned in the thread, but it's a good thing to know.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I went to Car Toys to see if I could get something to hold my Palm Pre' in the car, and was also very interested in Hands-free. I was thinking I might get away with just having the Touchstone mounted and hang the Pre' from it like many have in this thread.

After talking to one of their installers for a while, and very moderately jarring the touchstone with Pre' connected, we agreed that just mounting the Touchstone would be gambling on breaking my Pre' if I hit a bump too fast. He told me he could build a custom ABS bracket for about $65. It turned out to be about $72 with some other little fees they have, but given most off the shelf cell phone brackets are that much, what he built is a bargain, and MUCH better (see pictures below). I have a 1997 Subaru Legacy with leather interior that is in very good shape (bought it new, and it has 174,000 mi on it), so I was not terribly concerned with attaching the bracket to the dash in this fashion. Those of you with newer cars might hesitate, though Nate at car toys assured me it could be removed without damaging the dash.

After we agreed to do the bracket, I started talking to them about Bluetooth and what is available in car stereos now. I found out that for less than my wife would have to spend to get hands-free added to her 2008 Yaris at the Toyota dealer, I could get a new car stereo installed with it built-in. Not only that, but the stereo would do the hands-free gig and play music streaming from my Pre' via Bluetooth. The stereo is a Pioneer Premier, and the price was $259. Add $25 for wiring harness connector, and a few bucks they charge for the shop, and for under $300 I could get the stereo installed. I went for it.

So, at this point, I have an awesome setup. Here is a cool use case (sorry, my day job is as an engineer):
    1) Place the Palm Pre' in the holder before or after starting the car
    2) Launch Pandora (free music player app), and select my custom station I have set up
    3) Launch Sprint Navigation
    4) Pull the Pre out of the holder and enter the destination (please please can I have an on-screen keyboard for little typing like destinations and quick text messages)
    5) Start driving while listening to my custom Pandora music over the car stereo
    6) When next point of spoken directions comes up in the navigation software, it lowers the music volume, speaks it to me, then raises the volume back up. This is true whether I have navigation or Pandora card in focus, or neither of them for that matter (both apps have to be running of course)
    7) Someone calls me, and thus the radio volume is lowered, and I can answer via controls on the front of the radio, the nifty remote that came with the stereo, or by touching the answer button on the Pre' screen.
    8) I talk to the person who called (they put a little mic above my rear view mirror that picks up my voice, and the other person comes through the stereo speakers)
    9) Call is completed (I hang up or the other person), and the volume on my music goes back up

At this point, I look in the rear view mirror and smile, thinking I have a killer smart phone, navigation system, radio station customized to me with thumbs up and thumbs down inputs to select what I do and don't like, and no wires to connect or disconnect when I get into or out of my car. The best part, I got the smart phone, the car stereo, and the mount to hold the phone for about what most people pay for one car payment on a fancy car with a navigation system and hands-free cell phone. AND, I don't have car payments!

Oh, and big thanks to Nate Carter at the Fort Collins, CO Car Toys. He did an awesome job on the bracket and the rest of the work.
    That is a very sweet setup.. Would they be interested in making more mounts like that?