Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    Shots from my GTI

^^ Looks great.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Ok what is the angle of the touchstone. Trying to figure out how to mount it in my truck??

Thinking of having a metal plate bent to have it be more flat so i can read it. Will the "gecko" pad on the bottom hold at a decent angle or does it need reinforcement?

See a lot of you have you pre's hanging out there at about 90 degrees as well any issues with falling off??
    Moved mine to a new spot. Much better for viewing and using while driving.

Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Moved mine to a new spot. Much better for viewing and using while driving.

That is one dirty Lexus dashboard ;-)

Lee
    Lee Ladisky
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky View Post
    That is one dirty Lexus dashboard ;-)

Lee
    I know I really need to clean it!

I live in San Ramon too, funny.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    This is my recent setup in my 2000 Honda Prelude. I have a friend who works at Myer Emco who did my whole sound setup. I have MBQuarts, Kicker, Boston Acoustics, etc. So he did a custom panel for the touchstone. There was a clock where it sits now. Then he wired it in the back with the Motorola SPN5400a behind the panel which leaves me a spot for another plug-in if need be. He ran the auxiliary line-in wire through the AC vent. I think that it looks pretty damn good. Definitely got a retarded grin on my face when I saw it for the first time. What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ^^Very nice! I'm jealous...
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    ^^Very nice! I'm jealous...
    Thanks you, thank you. I am pretty proud of it, myself.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    looks very clean and professionaly done. Congrats.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ash1348 View Post
    looks very clean and professionaly done. Congrats.
    Thanks a lot. It was really hot yesterday though and the touchstone was really hot when I got into the car and it did the while charging - notcharging - charging - notcharging thing. It seemed to go away when it cooled off. I guess that's normal when it gets too hot?
    Quote Originally Posted by viperx100 View Post
    Thanks a lot. It was really hot yesterday though and the touchstone was really hot when I got into the car and it did the while charging - notcharging - charging - notcharging thing. It seemed to go away when it cooled off. I guess that's normal when it gets too hot?
    It seems to be normal. Many others have reported this issue.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    That's slick.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    thanks!
    setup with a Mazda 3. The charger is the stock Palm Vehicle Charger plugged into the center console, using the 5ft Palm micro-USB Cable wired through the dash. The Touchstone is simply affixed with double-stick tape. With this setup I get only the occasional on/off charging ding (i.e when I turn on my headlights), which gets worse when the car is hot.

Of course, now I'm looking at viperx100's install and feeling less proud of myself

If only Palm would fix my A2DP issues with the avic!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi View Post
    Shots from my GTI

where did you buy that plate that attaches to your car?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    setup with a Mazda 3. The charger is the stock Palm Vehicle Charger plugged into the center console, using the 5ft Palm micro-USB Cable wired through the dash. The Touchstone is simply affixed with double-stick tape. With this setup I get only the occasional on/off charging ding (i.e when I turn on my headlights), which gets worse when the car is hot.

Of course, now I'm looking at viperx100's install and feeling less proud of myself

If only Palm would fix my A2DP issues with the avic!
    Nah, dude. Your setup looks really good. Props!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Have a smooth piece of aluminum bent at about 45 degree angle do you think that the touch stone will stick to it. or will i need some support? Going to velcro this piece to my dash. Touchstone due in tomorrow or Tuesday!
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Ok so I think I'm finally at a end for the time being with getting the whole "Palm Pre in the car" thing settled the way I want it. It's been a bit of a long road. Through this journey I've used and discarded the Sprint car charger for the Palm Pre, a Griffin FM modulator iPod interface doohickey, and one location for the Touchstone.

I have kept the Touchstone, the Palm-branded car charger, and the Sprint-branded Anycom FIPO bluetooth music gateway. Today I got an "iPod interface/integration kit" professionally installed.

As I mentioned I tried two different spots in the car for the Touchstone. The first one by the shifter didn't quite work because I would knock the Pre off the TS when engaging reverse. Maybe if I had moved it a bit more further back or towards the passenger, but then the Pre would've encumbered the drink holder or the passenger. So in the end it had to go. For reference this is what the original location looked like.

I found that I liked the position by the instrument cluster a lot more and so I relocated the Touchstone there. A set of industrial strength 4-in ROUND Velcro pads simply stuck in the desired location after cleaning the surface area with some rubbin' alcohol does the job nicely.
    Front View

Side View

Top View

For a while I was using the Anycom FIPO mated to the Griffin FM modulator to spread out hits to the wallet of a couple of billing cycles. Just your basic Wal-Mart jobie of renting a product for a limited-time use. Call it "prototyping". That worked reasonably well except for the static and the annoyance of having to change channels every so often. The lack of controls doesn't bother me since the Pre is sufficiently handy. Neither does it bother me to not have the track name display in the factory radio, because, again, the Pre is readily visible.
    This is how it looked for a while.

Today I had the iPod interface kit installed and the FIPO mated to it and it works as expected. For some reason that I will have to troubleshoot later I can't seem to control the Pre from the car's controls like I can with my wife's iPod touch, or through the Pre through the FIPO attached to a SONY iPod-friendly clock radio. I had the installer leave the connector by the arm rest and it looks something like this.

I took out the bundle for the picture otherwise it is crammed "underneath" the arm rest and out of the way. Visible is also the 2-way accessory power splitter (the source also power a portable DVD player for the kids to watch some movies in the back seat) and the Palm-branded car charger. I exchanged the wire and used the longer 5-ft cable that came with the Pre for the car and kept the shorter 3-ft cable that came with the car charger kit for use with the computer.

When it is all said and done the setup looks roughly like this. Sorry about the flash I was trying to capture the "Charging Battery" message.

The entire setup is wireless to the Pre. Gotta love OTA! I can make/receive calls with the Pre on the TS or pick it up and hand the phone to the passenger. Navigation works well too. I haven't tried video, though. However if I'm tooling around town I can skip the step of docking the Pre on the TS and just get in/out of the car with the Pre in my front pocket.

All in all the setup is rather flexible and I like that.

The images can also be found here
    Last edited by mauro1; 09/04/2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Added pic of FM modulator setup
    I recently bought a charger for my car and realized that it would also fit the Touchstone Base. On my dash, there is a flat area to which the Touchstone mounted very nicely. I have been using it, BUT one day when I came back to my car after having left in the car for 2-3 hours, the phone and the Touchstone base were very warm to touch. WHat had happened also, is that the battery had fully discharged. I am not sure what happened, or whether or not I should have been using in it the car like that. But I have not seen anything in this thread that contraindicates using the Touchstone in the auto. Has anyone else had a similar experience?