Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrkalel
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Hey guys, I was thinking of posting this in one of the other Car threads.. but didn't want the owners to feel I was hijacking...

I bought a Sprint OEM Micro-USB car chargers from Ebay (about $12)...

And then I routed the cable as neat as I could...

Prepped the dashboard with some Isoprophyl Alcohol... and used Velcro Industrial strength ROUND tabs...

The rounds tabs are the perfect diameter to match the bottom of the Touchstone.. so u dont see it (the hard half of the Velcro piece)...

Then I cut the soft part to fit in-between the Gecko-Pad ( I didn't want to permanently cover up the pad)...

And I have to tell you guys... it is very secure and looks great.. Especially that I was able to keep the Palm symbol facing up!.... looks so sweet!

It keeps the Pre's screen at the exact height, angle and reach...
    P.S. I might strap the USB down more to keep it more low-profile... but when the Pre is on... you dont see it anyway...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    disoriented likes this.
    Very cool! How is the Touchstone holding up to heat/direct sunlight?
    what kind of car is this? is this hardwired or did you use aux plug?
    Does it charge? Saw a write up earlier that it is possible to use the touchstone in a car contrary to earlier reports.

That looks like a G35. Nice ride!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Hey guys, I was thinking of posting this in one of the other Car threads.. but didn't want the owners to feel I was hijacking...

Prepped the dashboard with some Isoprophyl Alcohol... and used Velcro Industrial strength ROUND tabs...

The rounds tabs are the perfect diameter to match the bottom of the Touchstone.. so u dont see it (the hard half of the Velcro piece)...

Then I cut the soft part to fit in-between the Gecko-Pad ( I didn't want to permanently cover up the pad)...

And I have to tell you guys... it is very secure and looks great.. Especially that I was able to keep the Palm symbol facing up!.... looks so sweet!

P.S. I might strap the USB down more to keep it more low-profile... but when the Pre is on... you dont see it anyway...
    YES, Please put it in here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ures-here.html
    YES, PLEASE PUT IT IN HERE:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...ures-here.html

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

i'm assuming you had to shave down the charger?
    Update us how it does with the heat on the dash. I abandoned my velcro method after a bad result with heat and melting adhesive.
    also, will you be able to pull the velcro off your dash down the road without damage?
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Update us how it does with the heat on the dash. I abandoned my velcro method after a bad result with heat and melting adhesive.

3m makes a "Dual Lock" type velcro that is specially designed for high heat applications. Its about 20 times stronger than regular Velcro. You can find it at Radio Shack under the name "Superlock Fastener" and many other places.

https://www.itapestore.com/index.asp...n=Custom&ID=23
    Superlock™ Strips (2-Pack) - RadioShack.com
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Well I dont know if the industrial strength Velcro will eventually make a difference in the long run... so we shall see...

I am surprised that just using such a little amount of the soft part of Velcro on the back of the Touchstone is very strong...

I am able to touch-type on the Pre when its on also.. without it coming off or moving...

The one thing that I will tell you guys that might help anyone that is having problems with the Touchstone to consistently charge...

I noticed that when I ran my charger into my center console.. It got very hot... and it shut down... So I then I put the charger on the outside.. with airflow... and since then it has worked great... I will keep you guys updated with anything new...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El