Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I've noticed that on many occasions when I have the pre in my pocket and my basic $25 Plantronics bluetooth headset from Costco in my ear that I have episodes of really loud static during calls and they only way to get rid of it is to take the phone out of my pocket and bring it much closer to the bluetooth. At that point I usually just turn off the headset because the phone is so near my ear. Has anyone else had this static issue? Can you recommend a BT that I may not have this problem with? I'm willing to upgrade to a new BT (I'm considering the BlueAnt V1 for the voicedialing). In all fairness, the static issue also happened with my Mogul, but I just thought that it was because that phone had horrible BT issues. I was hoping to not have the same issues with the pre.
    The Pre has way better range than the Treo 755p, so I'm quite happy with it. I am using a Plantronics Discovery 665, and it works very well. I can get about 10 feet away with absolutely no static, and more like 20 feet if they have line of site.

You might try a different headset, or perhaps the headset you have is defective. Also, you might try making sure that the phone and headset are on the same side of your body.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I'm definitely willing to go with a new headset, I just want to see if other people had this same issue. You brought up a really good tip-I usually have my phone in my left pocket and the bluetooth in my right ear when I have static issues (I'm a lefty). Next time I will see if I have better luck with my phone in my right pocket. The other odd thing is that the static issue only seems to happen when the phone is in my pocket. When I'm at home, I can walk away 10 ft and sometimes even go to another room for a second with minimal to no static issues.
    I noticed the same issue, and one that is perhaps related. When I hold the phone ghetto-hands-free style (i.e. hold it to my shoulder with my ear while my hands are otherwise occupied for a second), the static become so bad that the person on the other end of the phone cannot understand me at all.

I know that the phone isn't really designed for this kind of use, but it happens (I'll be talking on the phone while my 19-month-old daughter stretches out her hands, gives me the puppy eyes and says "daddy, up!". Phone goes on the shoulder, squeezed under the ear, and daughter goes up. Do not even TRY to tell her no. Then you will have a different kind of noise to deal with. And how could you say no to those eyes anyway?). I have never had that happen with another phone. And we are not talking about me covering up the mike with my cheek, either. I can reproduce the effect without covering the microphone hole.

Not a huge issue, but if there is a resolution, I want to know.