1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Before I begin I tried looking if my question/thought has been posted... at first glance it hasn't, BUT if it has sorry (don't flame).

I typically use the touchstone for over night charging. I like how the screen goes black and the clock remains showing (i.e. I use it as my night stand clock). Anywho, even though the screen is black that doesn't mean it is off/un-illuminated (the entire screen still gives off light). *Correct me if I am not completely accurate.*

My question: Will long term & frequent use of the touchstone charger "wear out" the screen faster, say if I use the TS every night to charge the pre?

As a result of me over thinking this, I stop using the TS for over night charging. I fear that my screen won't be as bright or vibrate a year+ from now.

Thanks,
    Yes, you're overthinking things quite a bit. It's an LCD screen, which doesn't have a burn-in issue, and the backlight turns so low that you'll replace your phone long before the backlight even comes close to burning out. I've got a 15" LCD that has seen very heavy use for 8 years now, that is still every bit as bright as it was when I got it.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Long term use of the Touchstone has caused cancer in laboratory animals.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    haha nice. I know my question seems alittle bit on the "the world will end in 2012" side. But I was being somewhat serious.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by utslickvic View Post
    haha nice. I know my question seems alittle bit on the "the world will end in 2012" side. But I was being somewhat serious.
    Truthfully I'm a bit paranoid about screen burn in or excess heat as well. I do not leave my Pre on the Touchstone overnight. I put it on the Touchstone first thing in the morning and it's 100% before I leave..
    Truthfully I'm a bit paranoid about screen burn in or excess heat as well. I do not leave my Pre on the Touchstone overnight. I put it on the Touchstone first thing in the morning and it's 100% before I leave..
    Wouldn't work for me. I have class at 8:00 every day. My alarm is set for 6:45, and I usually dismiss it 5-10 times. I wake up, rub my head from the intense hangover, and half squint with one eye open at the clock. I realize it's 7:30. I jump in the shower long enough to get wet, jump out and halfway dry off, put on the same khaki shorts as yesterday, and I'm out of my house by 7:40. I walk in class as the professor starts talking. Rinse and repeat.

So your solution wouldn't work for me, I must Touchstone throughout the night.
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    ...known only to the state of California.
    I used the Touchstone last night for about 14 hours straight and I am now the proud owner of a third arm.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    You could have the screen on continuously and in all probability the device would hit end of usefulness well before the screen burns out. I'm going to have my Pre on a Touchstone frequently, and I'm not the least bit worried.
    If you're worried about the backlight: LEDs (like the ones used for the backlight) are lifetime rated in the tens of thousands of hours at full power, and rated even longer at low power. So 10,000 hours rating, there are 8760 hours in a year, so you're looking at well over a year of LED lifetime if you're running the screen at full power constantly without ever turning it off. No problems with it being on overnight.

If you're worried about screen "burn in": LCDs don't burn in. Worst case, you have a slight shadow for a short time after it's been in the same position all night that goes away quickly. There's really no mechanism for permanent burn-in with LCDs.

So basically, you have nothing to worry about, Touchstone away!
    Last edited by pullbangdead; 06/24/2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
    This is how I used my Mogul for the past 2 years. It had a option to have the screen stay on when on external power source, it would dim down and stay on all night it was my alarm and clock, after two years of use there was never any damage to the screen. I was very sad that I couldn't set my pre to do this but sadness turned to joy when I found out that it worked with the touchstone so off to sprint I went and now I have my nightstand clock back

why doesn't it do this with the usb charger?
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    So 10,000 hours rating, there are 8760 hours in a year, so you're looking at 10+ years of LED lifetime if you're running the screen at full power constantly without ever turning it off. No problems with it being on overnight.
    I agree that there's no issues running it overnight as I already said, but uh, wow... check your math here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I agree that there's no issues running it overnight as I already said, but uh, wow... check your math here.
    Yeah, I was just about to post that...still get your point, but not exactly correct.
    Jordan Mack
    webOS Chat
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    mentioned on another thread that the battery does have issues with deteriorating if you keep ging it at 100%. You are to take it off the charger shortly after it reaches 100% even though the charging goes into trickle mode....
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pullbangdead View Post
    If you're worried about screen "burn in": LCDs don't burn in.

They certainly do if given the same static image long enough.. I have tons of LCDs at work that have the Windows 'Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to Login' box permanently burned into the screen.

It takes a lot longer to burn in an LCD -- but it is not impossible.