Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by genEric122 View Post
    Also there are plenty of people with the official palm car charger (5v 1000ma) that are not working properly... I am one that has had trouble and it seems like there are times it works great and times it won't charge.
    Today I bought the Palm charger to eliminate all problems and when I first pluged it in, it said charging and had the icon, but after 10 min. I lost over 6% battery... So I did the charging test and it started working fine.
    You can tell when it's working cause it gets pretty hot.

Is this the palm car charger or the one that plugs into a wall outlet? Where did you get it? The reason I ask is, I see there are two different models of the car charger on palms website. Best Buy is selling the Palm model #3437WW as the car charger for the pre and it won't work. The 3453WW is listed as the part on palm's website as the proper charger for the pre. Maybe some retailers are selling the same model that BB is selling and that is why it won't work? There is even a review on BB's site and the guy mentions that the charger won't work for the pre properly.

Also, I would like to note, that up until about 2hrs ago, palm listed the 3437WW as the vehicle power charger for the 800w and now it lists the 3453WW so they have changed it....
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    all mine are... they are accepting RMA's on that? I just assumed it was cheap (all the cheap chargers, even some OEM ones, had always done that for me).
    Just log into your account and choose the rma/return option on the side. They have not questioned me yet. I used this with part of my order (one of my 3ft usb cables was damaged). They said I could keep the original as well. I contacted them via email first and they were very responsive and eager to keep me satisfied. I discovered the heat issue after the fact so I just set up another rma tonight. I'm pretty sure it will go through (they probably pay $.10 for their stuff). I also had an issue with my wall charger not working right away and the tech suggested I rma that as well.
    I returned the Palm charger, Model 3453ww today. It was very inconsistent in whether it felt like actually charger the Pre or not. It didn't seem to work right on my first Pre, and on top of that, the charger not having any kind of handle on it makes it hard to remove. It was pretty hard to remove it from my truck, but it took two hands and some serious pulling to get it out of my car, so much pulling strength was needed that the entire center console was moving until the damn thing finally came out! Anyhow, got my second Pre, and first time I tried it, it worked great. Today I plugged my phone into it and went on a 20 minute ride with the navi on....once I reached my destination I was down to 67%!! and you're telling me this thing is rated at 1000? On the same way home without Navi, it only managed to add 2% back to the charging level.... I can't live with something that unreliable.

I guess my next move is to try the Sprint one?
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I returned the Palm charger, Model 3453ww today. It was very inconsistent in whether it felt like actually charger the Pre or not. It didn't seem to work right on my first Pre, and on top of that, the charger not having any kind of handle on it makes it hard to remove. It was pretty hard to remove it from my truck, but it took two hands and some serious pulling to get it out of my car, so much pulling strength was needed that the entire center console was moving until the damn thing finally came out! Anyhow, got my second Pre, and first time I tried it, it worked great. Today I plugged my phone into it and went on a 20 minute ride with the navi on....once I reached my destination I was down to 67%!! and you're telling me this thing is rated at 1000? On the same way home without Navi, it only managed to add 2% back to the charging level.... I can't live with something that unreliable.

I guess my next move is to try the Sprint one?
    Don't waste the money, here is your tested and working car charger for under $10 shipped:

$1 usb cigarette lighter adapter http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

$3 3ft usb cable http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    Thanks TechFirstAid, I just ordered the Cig lighter USB converter for .97 and the 3 ft USB/micro cord for $2.09. With shipping the entire order came to $4.79...WOW. Crazy Cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    I bought 2 usb cigarette adapters from mono price and both of them get really hot within 15 minutes of use. Anyone else experience this? I am getting them rma'd just to be safe but I wonder if it's because of the cheaper quality.
    Cheap car chargers use a linear voltage regulator (LVR) to get 5 volts from 12. The same current is drawn, but over half the power is wasted.

IE to get 5V at 1 amp, you need to draw 12V at 1 amp, so (12 - 5) = 7V * 1A = 7 watts wasted as heat.

This is why the chargers get hot; they are designed this way on purpose. Better car chargers use a switching regulator and don't waste half the power this way.
    I'd rather not have a mobile oven in my truck and potentially kill my phone. But thanks for the suggestion, might pick up a cable from those guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I only tested with the wall charger, but the Palm provided adapter chargers my Pre right around twice as fast.
    The test you conducted for 1-2 minutes?

I did a side by side this past weekend with a palm charger on my fiance's Pre using the Palm charger and mine using the monoprice wall charger... for almost an hour.

They charged nearly identical (within 1-2%).
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I tried the Monoprice car/USB converter as well, and had no such luck with it. On a camping trip 2 hours away, I tried plugging it in so that we could use Nav. Even with the screen turned off and no other apps running, my battery went from like 100% to 60% in about an hour while plugged in, and I decided that the adapter wasn't doing its thing properly. It said it was charging, but the rate was like 2% ever hour with no apps running. I doubt that it was getting 1A of current. I returned it RMA and they are refunding it. Perhaps mine was just defective. It certainly didn't seem to get hot like everybody else is saying.

I may try the Sprint charger, but they seem to only be rated 850mA. If I ever get a touchstone, that may not be the best option.
    Quote Originally Posted by genEric122 View Post
    Also there are plenty of people with the official palm car charger (5v 1000ma) that are not working properly... I am one that has had trouble and it seems like there are times it works great and times it won't charge.
    Today I bought the Palm charger to eliminate all problems and when I first pluged it in, it said charging and had the icon, but after 10 min. I lost over 6% battery... So I did the charging test and it started working fine.
    You can tell when it's working cause it gets pretty hot.
    What's "the charging test"?
    I too had NO luck with the monoprice car charger. When streaming Pandora and running Sprint Nav, I lost about 1% every 1-3 minutes (no touchstone).

So dissappointed. The only thing that works for me is the Sprint Palm Car Charger. Although is only puts out 850 ma, somehow it gets the job done. I just wish I could find a universal USB car charger that performed at least as well.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    So any micro usb cable will work, it just depends on the charger output capability right?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dnezat View Post
    So any micro usb cable will work, it just depends on the charger output capability right?
    Yes, I ordered a bunch of Mini to Micro USB adapters (Motorola SKN6252) so that I could utilize the dozens of Mini USB cables I have laying around. They all seem to work fine with the Palm Pre OEM AC Adapter as well as the PC USB for syncing.
    Quote Originally Posted by dnezat View Post
    Not true. I purchased a bunch of retractable micro usb cables which allow my to charge my Pre but will NOT let me use the Pre as a USB drive. There is DEFINITELY some differences with cables.

Fortunately, the ones at monoprice.com work perfectly. I can personally vouch for the gold plated ones here.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    It would be great to hear more opinions on the car charger!
    I do have the IGO 5W and A138 tip.Today I did a test i start driving home with 53% charge,I start the GPS ,Pandora ans few more apps just for the hell of it.I start the the weather app,the clock,camera and email,after 22 minutes drive the phone have 65% that was 12 % more with all those apps running inclidung GPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    I too had NO luck with the monoprice car charger. When streaming Pandora and running Sprint Nav, I lost about 1% every 1-3 minutes (no touchstone).

So dissappointed. The only thing that works for me is the Sprint Palm Car Charger. Although is only puts out 850 ma, somehow it gets the job done. I just wish I could find a universal USB car charger that performed at least as well.
    IGO 3000 15W or 5w the charge the battery real quick with the A138 tip recomended for the pre by IGO website.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Not true. I purchased a bunch of retractable micro usb cables which allow my to charge my Pre but will NOT let me use the Pre as a USB drive. There is DEFINITELY some differences with cables.

Fortunately, the ones at monoprice.com work perfectly. I can personally vouch for the gold plated ones here.
    Thanks for correcting me. I've since tried a few other USB cables I had laying around and some in fact did not work. "Why" is beyond me.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Thanks, ordered 3 car chargers and 3 cables! =D
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I got the Sprint Car charger on Amazon for $6.80. Can't post links yet. Just search for Sprint Car Charger Pre.
    Check it out!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast