Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Hey guys, quick little problem here.

I got one of the "official" Palm chargers for a trip to SF this weekend, and it didn't work right. My Pre would recognize it as a charger device, but it wouldn't actually charge. I took the shortie cable off of the charger and plugged it into my laptop and my Pre charged fine, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the phone itself. Was kind of a bummer as I had to use the GPS and that drained the battery pretty quickly, even though it was plugged in. Has anyone else had this problem? I think I'm going to return the charger tonight in any case, and just try and get a different model or something. I don't like how these Palm chargers are built.
    I had the exact same problem with my Pre using the GPS and a non OEM car charger. I had assumed that since it was not from Palm that it was the chargers fault, but after doing a bit of research, it appears that not all cigarette lighters/power ports deliver the same amperage and some cars will not support this type of charger. To be truthful I got this info from one individual post at another Pre based website and honestly I am a bit skeptical. I am going to return my current car charger and hang tight until I get a little better info.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Well the port works fine for for a mini-usb blackberry charger as well as a older nextel and a older samsung. I guess they're all different amperage though. This is kind of disheartening because I drive my car a lot and rely on car chargers to keep me accessible.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I've heard a charger should have pins 2 and 3 shorted together to make it work. I once threw away one of those 12V to USB chargers, not knowing about that detail. It's actually covered by the USB specification.
    Apparently there are two out there. One with white LED and one with blue. Blue has had problems and white needs to be "firmly" pressed in all the way. Good luck. I have the white LED and it works fine.