1.    #1  
    Look, one of the main reasons I left verizon was their closed attituteds towards phones. My last phone through verizon was a dumbphone and even had bluetooth OBEX enabled, this is pretty unacceptable for the Pre to be missing this feature at this point in the game.

Before I get called out, I just want everyone to know I love my phone but I'm not going to sit back and say nothing when a really basic feature of the phone has been neglected. I need this to transfer over my old numbers, I'm pretty upset at this point.
    Maybe a dumb question but what is OBEX?
    Allows file transfers to and from the device
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceeej View Post
    Look, one of the main reasons I left verizon was their closed attituteds towards phones. My last phone through verizon was a dumbphone and even had bluetooth OBEX enabled, this is pretty unacceptable for the Pre to be missing this feature at this point in the game.

Before I get called out, I just want everyone to know I love my phone but I'm not going to sit back and say nothing when a really basic feature of the phone has been neglected. I need this to transfer over my old numbers, I'm pretty upset at this point.
    dude I totally agree with you!!! obex is something my rinky dink motorola razor used to have! What is the deal with the palm pre not having obex???? I was floored when I seen that it wasn't supported!!!!
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I believe they PALM, want you to use synergy feature. The bluetooth is Stereo only. Just plug in your phone to your pc as a usb device and drag your files over. Much easier and faster than an FM frequency.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamfair View Post
    I believe they PALM, want you to use synergy feature. The bluetooth is Stereo only. Just plug in your phone to your pc as a usb device and drag your files over. Much easier and faster than an FM frequency.
    thats not all people use bluetooth for dude! there are the few who don't own smart phones and might want a music file or something that you have on your phone and the only way to send a file that large would be via OBEX.

bottom line is that that feature should be there for people who prefer to use OBEX to send files. we should be given the option to choose whatever form of file transfer we want not be forced to use USB mode... what if i cant find my usb cord or if i don't have it with me at the moment while i am out n about some where with my comp??? thats where OBEX becomes handy!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lito305 View Post
    thats not all people use bluetooth for dude! there are the few who don't own smart phones and might want a music file or something that you have on your phone and the only way to send a file that large would be via OBEX.

bottom line is that that feature should be there for people who prefer to use OBEX to send files. we should be given the option to choose whatever form of file transfer we want not be forced to use USB mode... what if i cant find my usb cord or if i don't have it with me at the moment while i am out n about some where with my comp??? thats where OBEX becomes handy!!!!
    Especially if my USB cord is currently being used to power my Touchstone. BT file transfer of some sort would be really great. It would be really nice to have the same drag and drop capabilities via BT that you have with the USB cable (though it would be much slower).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I have a couple friends from overseas who are here studying in the states. they are using their GSM phones on T-mobile and we had this discussion the other day. Apparently there are many viruses in their countries that use the file transfer feature to spread from phone to phone. Maybe palm wanted to avoid this?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    OBEX missing... my balls hurt.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj27 View Post
    OBEX missing... my balls hurt.
    same here, bro, same here
    I need OBEX to be able to transfer my contact list as an address book to my Nissan Navigation system. Right now, I have no way to use a contact list when driving my car and can only either dial the number manually through the nav screen, or dial from the device. I can also manually program stored contacts into my nav system, but i should have the ability to download the address book to the car. My treo 755p was able to do this, and I do not understand how Palm could leave this option out.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    I take it OBEX is how my Parrot add in car BT gets the contact list from my Instinct?
    ˙soə ɹoɟ ƃuıʇıɐʍ ɹəllıʞ "ʇɔuıʇsuı" uɐ ʇuɐʍ ʇsnɾ ı ˙ɹəllıʞ "əuoɥdı" uɐ əq oʇ "ēɹd" ɹoɟ ƃuıʞool ʇou
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    There is a profile for transferring the phonebook that is not OBEX. I believe it is PBAP and Pre does support this. As for home file transfer, with the ability to "hack" the phone, shortly someone will develop a synch or file transfer that will work over the network. This is more powerful and much faster than the OBEX protocol. Patience grashopper.
    hopefully we will get obex support at the same time we get a file browser.