Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi -

Has anyone else looked into (or considered) solar charger to keep the Pre juiced up? I hear Solio is pretty good, also Powertraveller powermonkey-eXplorer. Does anyone know whether these will work with the Pre? Both come with female USB adapter...

Thanks in advance.
    I was always thinking about trying to make my own like this. It would work with anything USB.

How to make a solar iPod/iPhone charger -aka MightyMintyBoost
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I ordered the freeloader pro charger from thinkgeek.com. just about the same specs as the solio but 20 bucks cheaper than solio and the panels have 5ma more. getting it tomorrow. I'll let everone know how well it works with the pre after i use it.
    Cool thanks would be nice for camping.
    good lookin' out, didn't even know that had that
    ---
    johnny olsen
    photography, digital imaging and web hosting
    http://johnnyolsen.com
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I have the Solio H1000, I like the fact that it has a D ring so you can hook it to tents or backpacks. But this thing is VERY picky about the sunlight, you basically have to have it perfectly perpendicular to the direct sunlight in order for it to charge. I tried to put it on the dash of my car and the wind shield was blocking enough light that it won't even charge. You can forget about using it when there are a few clouds or leaves blocking the sun to the slightest way.
    I've got a Soldius that I got dirt cheap (~$20) on Buy.com about six months ago.

Soldius brings you power of the universe...Our Products

It's rated at 320 mA, so while I'm no electrical engineer, I'm guessing that it'll charge in direct sunlight at 1/3 slower than via USB (500 mA). I used it to charge my Treo, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't charge the Pre. Unlike the Solio it has no internal battery, but as an ultra-light backpacker, it's tiny size and minimal weight was a big plus for me.
    I bought it primarily for camping, although while backpacking I'm seldom in camp during the middle of the day when sunlight is strongest. My best use for it is while kayak touring, as my deck bag has a window on top specifically to hold solar chargers.

It has a miniUSB port on the side, into which an 18" male to male miniUSB cable plugs. It then has adapter tips to fit most cell phones and small electronics. While it doesn't have a microUSB tip, it does have a regular USB tip into which you could plug the Pre's regular cable. Even better for camping, you could get an 18-inch cable from Monoprice.

I'll have to try it out tomorrow if I can remember to do so.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Epic 4G -> TouchPad
  8.    #8  
    Northward,

Thanks much for the information in your setup - this is exactly the type of activity I engage in where I need a solar backup charger. Backpacking may be a challenge, but for touring/sea kayaking its perfect. Could I ask, what deck bag do you have?

I had looked into Soldius but dismissed it because it did not store charge, will rethink that. The powermonkey looks to be the most versatile, though not completed my research yet.

Thanks to others as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by Preeminent View Post
    Could I ask, what deck bag do you have?
    Pacific Outdoor's:
    Pacific Outdoor Equipment Deck Nav Dry Bag from Backcountry.com

I honestly hadn't been in the market for a solar charger, per se, but when I saw that deal on the Soldius I figured that I only had $20 to lose and jumped on it.
    The Solio would be great at $20-$30 but at normal pricing... If I am going to pay $80-$110, I would definitely go with the Powermonkey.

I ran across this while researching this.

Fatcat Solstice 2.5 Travel Battery Pack
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    I ran across this while researching this.

Fatcat Solstice 2.5 Travel Battery Pack
    Nice looking unit, although a bit bulky and heavy (half pound) compared with the Soldius for my purposes. I can definitely see the upside of a built-in 2500 mAH battery, however. The ability to angle it toward the direct rays of the sun would give this an advantage over the Solio, IMO, not to mention the larger battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by northward View Post
    Nice looking unit, although a bit bulky and heavy (half pound) compared with the Soldius for my purposes. I can definitely see the upside of a built-in 2500 mAH battery, however. The ability to angle it toward the direct rays of the sun would give this an advantage over the Solio, IMO, not to mention the larger battery.
    Also ran across this but it seems to be purely for charging.

Amazon.com: P-300 Soldius 1 with iPod Tip and Mobile Phone Kit (1 charger kit): Electronics

Soldius brings you power of the universe...Our Products

That Fatcat definitely looks intriguing.
    That's what I was talking about before:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...41#post1700825

I own one, although I'll admit that it was much more attractive at ~$20.
    This looks like the same unit as the Fatcat.

Amazon.com: Icetech I-9005 Portable Solar Charger/Battery: Electronics
    That's what I was talking about before:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...41#post1700825

I own one, although I'll admit that it was much more attractive at ~$20.
    Gotch ya! I got the Soldius and Solio confused!

You haven't tried it with the Pre yet? Correct?

I almost grabbed on of those a few months back on buy.com.

It was probably the same one.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    You haven't tried it with the Pre yet? Correct?
    Correct. I'm going to try to remember to do so when I get home from work tonight (it was well after dark when I first noticed this thread last night).
    Correct. I'm going to try to remember to do so when I get home from work tonight (it was well after dark when I first noticed this thread last night).
    Any luck?
    I'm really considering the Powermonkey.

I picked this up for just general travel. It's not solar powered but it should work pretty well with my Sanyo Eneloops.

Amazon.com: Tekkeon TekCharge Mobile Power and Battery Charger: Cell Phones & Service
    Aw, crap...sorry, I thought that I posted the results. No love from the Soldius. Apparently 320 mA isn't enough to get a rise out of the Pre.
    Thanks for the feedback.

If this doesn't work (which another user reported does not). I may return it and give the Powermonkey a shot. It should arrive tomorrow.

A little concerned about dropping $110 on something that may not work.

Amazon.com: Tekkeon TekCharge Mobile Power and Battery Charger: Cell Phones & Service
    I haven't backpacked in a while, but I don't see any reason a solar unit couldn't be put in the top of your main storage with the solar panel strapped to the outside/fastened in your own unique way.

Then you'd be charging while walking!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast