Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hi,

Wondering if any of the self powered USB chargers work with the Pre?

Examples:

USB Emergency Charger / USB Battery Pack - Battery Adapter PRO

Eneloop Mobile Booster

Engergizer To Go 2 AA battery phone charger

Thanks,

GP
    The MintyBoost does: Mintyboosting with a Palm Pre adafruit industries blog

It's a DIY kit for a portable charger that uses 2 AA batteries.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    I have the powerstick and it works great. it also has adapters for iphone blackberry etc.
    Amazon.com: Ecosol Powerstick USB Powered Universal Portable Charger: Electronics
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    I have the powerstick and it works great. it also has adapters for iphone blackberry etc.
    Amazon.com: Ecosol Powerstick USB Powered Universal Portable Charger: Electronics
    That's interesting. I bought a Tekkeon TekCharge MP1550 and the Pre doesn't charge at all. It's rated output is 800mAh using 4 AA batteries and it was a no go with the Pre.

How well does the Powerstick work? How long does it take to charge the Pre? How much life do you get out of the Pre? Cheapest price?

Thanks,

GP
    I have a duracell crap one from the grocery store (uses two double A) and it works great. Also have a ecosol and it works too...
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    The PreCentral store sells the Motorola P790 so I'd assume that one works.
    Quote Originally Posted by dornier View Post
    That's interesting. I bought a Tekkeon TekCharge MP1550 and the Pre doesn't charge at all. It's rated output is 800mAh using 4 AA batteries and it was a no go with the Pre.

How well does the Powerstick work? How long does it take to charge the Pre? How much life do you get out of the Pre? Cheapest price?

Thanks,

GP

I just bought this two days ago on Amazon, hoping it would work...

Amazon.com: Tekkeon TekCharge Mobile Power and Battery Charger: Cell Phones & Service
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post

Amazon.com: Tekkeon TekCharge Mobile Power and Battery Charger: Cell Phones & Service
    That's mine and it's a no go. Hopefully Datavis will take it back.

GP
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post

Update!

The Tekkeon USB charger started working today. I have no idea why it would all of a sudden be recognized by the Pre, but before I packed it up for return the Pre indicated that it was being charged. I'll keep you posted if it doesn't work, but for now it's working. The battery was about 22% when the Pre recognized the charger.

GP
    Quote Originally Posted by dornier View Post
    Update!

The Tekkeon USB charger started working today. I have no idea why it would all of a sudden be recognized by the Pre, but before I packed it up for return the Pre indicated that it was being charged. I'll keep you posted if it doesn't work, but for now it's working. The battery was about 22% when the Pre recognized the charger.

GP
    Great news! I should be getting mine today... no idea what the $#@! is taking Amazon so long to ship/deliver. It was supposedly shipped out of their Sterling, VA facility over a week ago and I have not received it yet. I live in VA and I usually receive items that ship out of that facility within 1-2 days.

After reading a few other reviews it seemed to charge a few +750ma items so I was hopeful it would work. Especially since the Pre can charge off of a normal 500ma USB connection from a computer.
    Just got it and threw some eneloops in it. It charged my Pre about 6% in 10-12 min.
    I'm going to charge it completely and drain my Pre. Then use it to charge my Pre overnight.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    The Boxwave one from the first post did NOT work for me. Boxwave issued an RMA and it's on it's way back to them.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I have two Motorola P970s on the way, and I already have the Mini > Micro adapter. I'll let everyone know how it works when I receive them.
    I just tested it with 2 eneloop's. It charged for almost exactly 1 hour and the battery increased from 55% to 83%. I will test it again with 4 fully charged eneloop's, tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    So I picked up two Motorola P790 portable chargers on ebay for $10 each. The device includes a 1700 mAh internal lithium ion battery, and has two mini USB ports; one for charging a device, the other for receiving a charge. Coupled with a mini USB to micro USB adapter, the P790 becomes an excellent emergency companion for the Palm Pre.

As a quick test, a Pre at 25% charge took roughly 1:15 hours to bring it up to 75% charge. I'll try to do another test at 10% or nearly dead to see if it can bring the battery up to full.

A short demonstration clip:
    Last edited by NeoteriX; 07/05/2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: edit: added youtube demo clip
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I passed out while playing Michael Jackson's Memorial Service on Sprint TV, and when I woke up, my battery was completely dead. This was an opportune time to test the capacity of the emergency charger. (Note that I am now using the Seidio 1350 mAh extended battery)

It took a little over 2 hours to bring the Pre's battery from 2% to 87%, and by this time, the P790 was nearly exhausted (the red light started flashing, indicating a low charge, and the charging wasn't consistent with the Pre. So 85% of 1350 mAh is 1147.5 maH; it's not quite a full battery, but is definitely sufficient in the event that I am in a major jam without any access to power.

For $10 shipped (plus a less than $5 mini > micro adapter), I am more than happy!
    The Sprint Portabe Power Pack model BT5VUSB22L-C6B used with an appropriate MicroUSB charge cable works well. Still need to do the trick where you plug it in with the power off. Will do some quick tests to verify, but it did chage the Pre fairly fast.
    I have not tried it out, as of yet, but iGo sells a 2xAA charger that they say is Pre friendly.

iGo powerXtender battery operated charger (2 cell) - $15.99

You also need their tip which is A138 - $9.99.

I have the tip and their car charger, plus one of their iGo everywhere's that works, well, everywhere. It can do car, house, or airline. I have tips for my phone, wife's phone, Nintendo DS and Sony PSP. I love their stuff. Plus, if you buy a new device, you just change the tip. Radioshack carries most of their tips and quite a few of their chargers.

Forgot, I am using tip A97, since the A138 did not exist when the phone was released. So far it has been working form me.
    Dedicated Palm User
    Palm Pre
    Palm Treo 700P - retired
    Palm Treo 600 - retired
    Palm M515 - retired
    Palm V - retired
    Palm Pilot Professional - retired
    I went out and bought the iGo battery extender at Radioshack today and did a brief test. Started with the battery at 45%, wifi and bluetooth on, and let the iGo charge it up for just over an hour. One hour and thirteen minutes later the phone showed 72%. Not amazing results, but for the price not bad results either in my opinion. I will be trying it again in the next few days with the wifi and bluetooth off, just to see how much difference it makes.

Just a few notes. The iGo A138 tip is not available yet, through iGo's website or the shack. The shack sells the battery extender for $19.99 vs. iGo's website price of $15.99. However, Radioshack gives you a free tip with the purchase of a power adapter. iGo sells them seperate for $9.99. So, it is cheaper to buy them at the shack. I got a second A97 tip, which is what I conducted the test with.
    Dedicated Palm User
    Palm Pre
    Palm Treo 700P - retired
    Palm Treo 600 - retired
    Palm M515 - retired
    Palm V - retired
    Palm Pilot Professional - retired
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stomsf View Post
    The PreCentral store sells the Motorola P790 so I'd assume that one works.
    It works, when used with a mini-usb to micro-usb adapter

Not as convenient as it used to be when all my electronics were mini-usb, but it still does the job.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast