Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    i just bought a cigg. lighter usb charger that has two usb slots that works great . i also went to the local computer cable store and got a cable that works on the pre just fine. its not a charging cable per say but a cable to hook up to your computer . i just asked for a usb to micro usb cable . works great with no problems at all
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Thanks for the tip on the sale at Fry's.

$20 is a great deal for the XP4001, I'll have to get a family member to buy one for me. I think that it has the best balance of features, reliability, weight, accessory tips, and cost for my needs. I had been considering the Imax Power IMP500 that provides 5000 mAh for $50.

I hope it's still on sale; do you know when it ends?

If anyone doesn't have access to Fry's, I think someone is flipping them for $40 plus shipping on ebay.
    Last edited by odontastic; 01/31/2010 at 07:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    I have a duracell crap one from the grocery store (uses two double A) and it works great. Also have a ecosol and it works too...
    Did the duracell need an adapter or does it work straight out of the box?

PalmOS: Zire71, Clie NX70V, LifeDrive, T|X
    WebOS: VZW Pixi Plus, now VZW PRE 2

Quote Originally Posted by rmingee View Post
    For anyone with Fry's Electronics in your area, they have the Energizer XP4001, which is a 4000MAh cell with dual USB ports that comes with 2 cables and a variety of tips including a micro-usb. It's normally $60 but on sale for $20. I went ahead and bought one despite just having bought the iGo the week before (for twice that, of course) because I can see myself having a use for both. The iGo is really a bit more pocket-sized and have the convenience of the plug built right in, but the XP has a bit more that twice the 1800MAh of the iGo for the times I really need the juice or we have multiple devices that need power (like one of our many iPods, another tip included with the XP). I was a little disappointed that at 1800MAh the iGo can't quite charge my Pre fully from red with the factory battery -- it gave out at 85% charge after plugging it in with 10% left. But realistically that's enough of a boost for most situations, and I'm really happy with it in all other respects -- it is small, fast, and versatile (it's the only non-Samsung charger I've found that will actually charge my wife and son's Rants). And now I've got the XP for when I really need more power. I plan to test it out this week and see how it performs recharging the Pre.

Anyway, the XP4001 at $20 has got to be a superior value proposition compared to the Zagg Sparq for anyone looking for more power on a budget.

-- robert
    Not being near a Fry's I found the XP4001 on eBay for $45.50 shipped. I tried the iGo Powerxtender which only got my dead Pre up to 20% on a test. I have the iGo USB cable to the A138 tip. If you had success with the XP4001 let us know. I wonder how many hours a charged Pre can be extended with this. I plan to use it in airplane mode to play games & listen to podcasts on a very long flight.
    Visor->650->Pre
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by odontastic View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the sale at Fry's.

[...]

I hope it's still on sale; do you know when it ends?
    You're quite welcome! It just started Friday and runs through next Thursday (2/4) here in Texas -- they used to run sales Friday-Tuesday here, but it's a full 7 days now. I couldn't get there until this morning, and thought for sure they'd be gone, as many of their great deals are by the end of the day Saturday, but they still had some left. Good luck! I'll post back with impressions after actually charging with it.

-- robert
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    Is there a web link where you can buy this item at this price (-shipping)
    Sadly, I don't think so -- their website seemed to be mixed up and is listing the XP4001 for the price of the full-size laptop model from Energizer -- like $180 (what a deal, huh? )

-- robert
    Just updating all the USB chargers that work on the Palm Pre that I have purchased, they all work!

1) Tekkeon TekCharge MP1550 Battery Charger

Tekkeon TekCharge MP1550 Battery Charger - MP1550 - Buy.com

Price I paid: $21.77 includes tax and shipping charges

2) Motorola P790 Portable Cell Phone Charger

Motorola P790 Portable Cell Phone Charger : 89174N - Buy.com

Price I paid: $16.31 includes tax and shipping charges

Accessory needed for the Motorola.. usb adapter:

Motorola SKN6252A EMU / MU Micro USB Adapter

Motorola SKN6252A EMU / MU Micro USB Adapter - SKN6252A - Buy.com

Price I paid: $6.03 includes tax and shipping charges

3) Lenmar PPUS20 PowerPort Solar Charger & External Portable Lithium Ion Battery for Cell Phone/iPhone 3G/MP3/USB Charging Cable/Device Tip Adapters

Amazon.com: Lenmar PPUS20 PowerPort Solar Charger & External Portable Lithium Ion Battery for Cell Phone/iPhone 3G/MP3/USB Charging Cable/Device Tip Adapters: Electronics

Price I paid: 40.86 that includes tax and shipping charges

I am not sure I got the best deal, but this was the cheapest I found, and it was definitely less expensive than Precentral and Fommy.

I just wanted to give you and idea of all the different kinds of USB charges there are out there.

I think I have a sample of each type.

Personally, I think I'm leaning towards liking the TEKKEON MP1550, the reason is simple:

It's a regular AA battery charger (so it has a dual purpose), up to 4 AA rechargeable batteries.

It can take regular AA Alkaline batteries. This is a great feature because if you run out of a charged up battery, you can stop at almost any store and just get a couple of AA batteries in a crunch. This unit will charge your Pre using only 2 AA, but 4 AA's are better of course.

Heck, if you live in NYC, and take the subway, you can purchase AA batteries from that guy that sells them on the train. I bet some of you have seen this guy! I can't remember the line he uses but it's funny. You get 2 AA Duracell for $1!

I hope I have given anyone interested in these item a chance to see what they are and take a look at the pictures from the links I provided.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 01/31/2010 at 09:33 PM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I tried the Moto P790 and was unable to get it to charge to 100%. The unit kept shutting off which is the problem I had with the iGo Powerxtender. I'm crossing my fingers that the Energizer XP4001 will work out for rmingee.
    Visor->650->Pre
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drugstorecowboy View Post
    I tried the Moto P790 and was unable to get it to charge to 100%. The unit kept shutting off which is the problem I had with the iGo Powerxtender. I'm crossing my fingers that the Energizer XP4001 will work out for rmingee.
    It has indeed. I have now charged my Pre from 10% remaining to fully charged twice without recharging the XP4001. The second time the status light was red until I unhooked the Pre, at which point it went back to green. The only somewhat odd thing is it sometimes take the Pre a while to "see" the charger, and when I hooked it up today it stopped charging once for no apparent reason right after I had started, but that could have been a bad connection between the cord they provided and the tip, since it popped back on once I jiggled that.

I plan to try recharging it again tomorrow and see how far it'll get on the charge that's left, but 2 full charges works for me even if it does nothing at all tomorrow. That already seems like better performance than my iGo, adjusting for the difference in capacity. I still think I'll use the iGo, which is good since the packaging is long gone and I can't return it , just because it is more portable, but I'm very glad I got the XP4001. It's hard to imagine getting stuck without power now, no matter how much I use the phone -- I was getting really sick of rationing my use while at a sporting event or other long time away from power. I got all the nifty features to use when away from a computer, afterall.

So, big thumbs-up on the XP4001, especially for $20!

-- robert
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I got about another 25% worth of charge out of the XP4001 today before it gave up the ghost, which is more than I expected out of it. This thing is definitely a winner. I'm going to swing by Fry's today and see if they still have any left (unlikely at this point), and if so buy one for my Dad...

-- robert
    Energizer XP4001, so that is what I should add to my list of chargers?

I don't see this anywhere for $20, right now I'm only seeing it for about $60.

That's way much more than the Motorola, so that might be why everyone thinks its so much better.

But if anyone sees this for $20, I will get this and it to my collection of chargers.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Earlier in this thread I mentioned that Fry's Electronics was running a sale on this for $20, but it was basically only available in stores, since their website price for that item was way wrong (it was for their high-end laptop model), and today is the last day it is running. So you can get it for that if you have Fry's in your area, and you happen to find one today still in-stock. Other than that, you're paying $50-$60. It would probably be worth $50 to me, but I'm glad I didn't have to pay that :-)

-- robert
    I've found that all of the microusb chargers I have from previous phones work with my Pre. I had a Storm 1 (thank God I don't anymore!) and an EnV3 and the chargers from those phones work fine.

According to Gizmodo we can thank the European Union for this. They are pushing for standardization for cell phone chargers.

gizmodo.com/5154851/european-commission-pushing-micro+usb-standard-for-cellphone-chargers
    Quote Originally Posted by rmingee View Post
    I got about another 25% worth of charge out of the XP4001 today before it gave up the ghost, which is more than I expected out of it. This thing is definitely a winner. I'm going to swing by Fry's today and see if they still have any left (unlikely at this point), and if so buy one for my Dad...

-- robert
    Thanks for your report. I got mine via eBay and it still had the Fry's sticker on the box. Some enterprising person bought them up at $20 & resold for $39.99 which was still a good deal. I used the cable that came with the XP4001 and charged up a dead Pre in just over 3 hours. I'm going to try my iGo usb & A138 tip to see if it makes a difference.
    Visor->650->Pre
    Just to let you all know, I had a chance to try out the Motorola, it sucks!

So I am down to the one one that takes regular batteries.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I have the Duracell usb charger and it works great. It can be charged from the usb port or the wall. ( wall charger not included) I went from about 50% to 100% in about 90 minutes.

I picked mine on on ebay for 17.00 shipped
    Heads Up Fry's has the 2000mhz Energizer on sale for 20 bucks. It's not as good of a deal as the 6000 was but should still help out in a pinch
    but not in Phoenix
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    How do these chargers work?
    Do you charge the charger and then the charger charges the phone?
    ... if that makes sense.
    I am surprised know one mention the solio solar charger,better then anything anyone has mentioned. Comes w many adapters so you can charher anything. You can fill it w power using a outlet. Take it with you and plug yr phone in to charge it. Best part is its also solar. If it runs out of power after you charge yr phone,,all you need is sun, if not an outlet,,to recharge it..very small,very light,comes w a clip to clip it to yr belt or keychain.
    Last edited by zmann; 02/20/2010 at 08:29 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast