1.    #1  
    Hey Guys,

I applied the 1.03 update last night as well as rooted into my Pre. For some reason I can't get my Pre to pair with my MacBook Pro 2006 model as the Pre doesn't pop-up with the normal "would you like to pair" green button.

I tried it on my buddies MacBook Pro circa 2008 (before the new form factor) with the broadcom chipset. And it worked easily. Any ideas?

Any clue - I heard somewhere that the update might have caused some bluetooth issues. Anyone else having the same problem?

Thanks

E
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2.    #2  
    Still having trouble finding a solution. Help!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake_Pre View Post
    Still having trouble finding a solution. Help!!
    I can't get my Pre to pair with my Mac laptop (PowerBook G4, same error as you) OR my Dell laptop. My old Centro easily paired with both. Any help would be appreciated.
    I'm having a similar problem. I can pair my palm pre with my macbook pro (late 2008) but can't transfer or connect with the pre. The Mac says to refer to the phone's documentation to enable services. I'm pretty sure the bluetooth adapter for the mac is working because I can transfer files via blutooth to the mac.
    Does anyone have some ideas? Thanks
    Connect to do what? I don't think the pre has file transfer over bluetooth profile yet. You also can connect to it as a network device but you won't be able to get internet access unless you do a little modification on the phone via linux at the moment.

If you can't pair at all, you may want to try searching apple downloads for a bluetooth firmware update or just plain rebooting the macbook pro (that helped me one time when it was dropping connection)
    Thank you joshewah. I checked to see if there was a bluetooth firmware update for my mac, but everything was up to date. I didn't realize it didn't support file transfer over bluetooth yet. My pre is paired with my mac, but my mac is grayed out on the bluetooth devices list shown on my pre. I don't know if that is normal or anything. I'm kinda new at this.
  7. sjh
    I am having the same problem. My Macbook Pro (late 2008) cannot pair with the Pre. It gets right to the point where it throws up the pass code on the Mac, and tells me to type this in on the phone, but nothing pops up on the phone and it times out.

My Wife's older Macbook (black) CAN pair with the Pre. She gets the popup with the pass code and can pair with it just fine.

Any ideas? I've got My Tether installed and it works over bluetooth just great with wife's Macbook (since it is PAIRED), but I can only use the (non-secure) wifi tethering option on my Macbook Pro. Any ideas? Seems to be a particular Macbook Pro problem.

Cushcush, have you made any progress on this issue?
  8. sjh
    I am having the same problem. My Macbook Pro (late 2008) cannot pair with the Pre. It gets right to the point where it throws up the pass code on the Mac, and tells me to type this in on the phone, but nothing pops up on the phone and it times out.

My Wife's older Macbook (black) CAN pair with the Pre. She gets the popup with the pass code and can pair with it just fine.

Any ideas? I've got My Tether installed and it works over bluetooth just great with wife's Macbook (since it is PAIRED), but I can only use the (non-secure) wifi tethering option on my Macbook Pro. Any ideas? Seems to be a particular Macbook Pro problem.

Cushcush, have you made any progress on this issue?
    I am having the same issue with my macbook pro... the wifi works great for tethering but I want to use bluetooth and can't because it won't pair.
    figured it out. Just keep clicking continue in the bluetooth setup(even though it does not ask you to!) on mac after you click the green button on Pre... if your green button on Pre isn't showing up, then I don't know what to say, sorry!
    Last edited by pre n00b; 08/11/2009 at 10:38 PM. Reason: mispell
    I have a Mac Pro...when you are connect it to the Pre it shows on the pre screen:MAC USER'S MACBOOK.Make sure you wi-fi is Off on the Pro
    I had the same problem tonight with my new pre and thought I'd contribute.

Basically you need to get out of the bluetooth card on your pre (but turn on bluetooth). Then try to pair with your pre on your macbook pro. It will see your pre then that page with the number code will show. When that page is showing, open up the bluetooth card (aka go to bluetooth preferences).

Then the number will show up on your pre as well. Click the green button on the pre first, then immediately after click continue on the macbook pro.

Then a window will read "congrats your just paired w/your pre" or something like that.

That said, I had them paired, but I couldn't really send anything...so I'd appreciate something help with that
    Whoa! I just read a thread about how you can't send files from your computer to your pre. Is that true? Then what can I use BT for besides headsets and a BT ready car??
    I'm also having trouble w/ my 2008 unibody MacBook Pro and Bluetooth pairing. It used to work flawlessly under Leopard, but ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard my mac won't show the Pre at all... I've tried resetting both devices, turning wifi off in both devices, even called Apple and they had me dump my BT files, resetting the software, but all to no avail. It just won't show my phone at all. The MBP still finds other BlueTooth gadgets, as does my Pre... perplexing. Apple is telling me my Bluetooth card must not be working correctly, so they want me to take it in to a shop and have it replaced, but I don't buy that since it worked perfectly under Leopard and it still finds other Bluetooth devices, like my Mighty Mouse and a BT keyboard. Can anyone help?
    MacBook Pro Late 08 as well. Same issue, it pairs up but does not connect I can not send files from the mac to the pre or vice versa...The error message I get on the Mac is "the device does not have the necessary services" I am using the Latest updates on Leopard and Palm ....
    Last edited by elkreepo; 11/06/2009 at 06:01 PM.
    Just curious, why is everyone trying to pair the Pre with their Macbook? As near as I can figure, without the OBEX (and other) profile support in the Pre for transferring vcards, vcalenders, pictures, etc., what's really the point? Or is this for tethering via the DUN support added by MyTether? That would have a point...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Just curious, why is everyone trying to pair the Pre with their Macbook? As near as I can figure, without the OBEX (and other) profile support in the Pre for transferring vcards, vcalenders, pictures, etc., what's really the point? Or is this for tethering via the DUN support added by MyTether? That would have a point...
    Probably to send files. No one knows why they can't send files or browse the content of their 'smart' phone.

Yes the phone needs an obex profile!

Anyone know what this entails? Is this a hardware level driver that's needed? Apparently Palm was an early adopter of this back in the day, why not for the palm pre. Android phones don't support this either.

You either have to install ftp or sftp to transfer data to/from your phone...