Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Figured I would pass this on to anyone interested.. I was looking for something that would allow me to stream Pandora over my car stereo without the need for plugging in my Pre to the aux port of my stereo everytime.. I got this yesterday, it pairs right up with the Pre and works good.. Audio quality is decent, plus Sprint Navigation will go over it as well (while listening to Pandora too):

LiquidAUX™ Bluetooth® Car Kit - K33428US - Kensington

The included remote attaches to your steering wheel if you want, and will advance tracks, pause, etc -- I found its placement a little awkward, so decided not to use it.. For now I keep my Pre in my Proclip mount that was for my Blackberry Curve (its a decent fit, but not perfect) so I didnt bother with the steering wheel remote.. Plus, there is an aux USB charging port on the device for charging whatever you want that uses USB @ 500mA

I have no desire to use the speakerphone portion of it, as I use a bluetooth headset for that -- so I havent tested the quality for phone calls.. But for music, which is what I wanted it for, it works well.

You can get it at Amazon for about $45

Rick
    do you know if i plug the touchstone on the usb port on the kensington bluetooth liquidaux if the tc will still charge the pre?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    +1 to OP! I also just picked this up on Amazon. Worked great out of the box. Great sound quality for music. Phone calls also work great.
    I've been eyeing this for a year now and just installed it a couple weeks ago. (Needed to add a line-in to my stereo as well.)

It's pretty darn fantastic. The little remote makes it even sweeter. As for hands free, there's a cig port next to my steering wheel which makes the mic location pretty fair.

When I'm on side roads, windows up, folks say it just sounds like I'm talking through my cell phone. My dad called while on the highway the other day and he complained of what sounded like wind noise. I was on a stretch where the road noise was pretty awful and I think the vibrations got through the dash to the mic.

At any rate, it's fantastic. No troubles with auto-pairing. Controls all play nice with Pandora. Hand off between stereo and hands free when receiving a call is snappy (pause, answer, hang up, resume, all automatically).

Only complaint is the audio out is rather weak through the line in, but I think that's just because the line in harness I used doesn't have a pre-amp.

As for Touchstone: Just plugging a stock TS/Palm cable into the USB port doesn't work. When I first ran across this on the forums here, I seem to recall them discussing issues with some TS setups working and some not. A lot of discussion in the running car Touchstone thread.

Basically for the Touchstone/Pre to recognize the cable as being power only, the two data wires in the USB connection must be shorted. The TS/Pre then recognize the connection as Power Only and will allow the larger current draw needed for fast charging. If the data pins aren't shorted, it draws less power so as to not blow out the port on a computer.

In Palm's car/wall chargers, those pins are shorted inside the charger. In the LiquidAux, they aren't.

You can modify a USB cable to have those two wires shorted, but it's dangerous. If you accidentally use the modded cable to connect to the computer, the phone will try to draw more power than the computer can handle and may blow the USB port.

Anyways... one of the more talented forum dudes managed to solder a short on the data pins inside the LiquidAux instead and then it worked with the TS. It's a tiny connection though. Another user tried and said he didn't trust he could do it without damaging the LiquidAux.

Check out that thread above for lots of neat car solutions folks have posted with their TS's. I'll try to add mine there this week too (it's great!).
    Last edited by ananimus; 03/13/2011 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    You can modify a USB cable to have those two wires shorted, but it's dangerous. If you accidentally use the modded cable to connect to the computer, the phone will try to draw more power than the computer can handle and may blow the USB port.

Anyways... one of the more talented forum dudes managed to solder a short on the data pins inside the LiquidAux instead and then it worked with the TS. It's a tiny connection though. Another user tried and said he didn't trust he could do it without damaging the LiquidAux.
    Shorting the data pins in your LiquidAux runs the risk of damaging it too. A standard USB port delivers 550 mA of power where the high speed chargers deliver 1.0 A, so almost double the current. The problem is the wiring in the charger. If it can't handle the TS or Pre pulling 1 amp it could overheat and burn up. That could be as minor as simply damaging the USB port or as significant as catching the unit on fire.

You should check the adapter while it's charging and see how hot it gets, though there's no guarantee you'll be able to determine it's overheating externally. You might not be able to tell until it's too late, but if it's getting particularly warm you might think twice about it.

Honestly, I'd probably do it myself if I didn't have another means to charge my phone but you should be aware of the risks.
    Yeah. In fact I was changing the cig port the LiquidAux was in to a switched 12V circuit, so I just added an extra, separate 12V line behind the dash that I hooked the TS/charger up to directly.

I'd recommend something similar to other folks (for fast charge, find another place to plug in). It's been done on the forums, but awful risky.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    I have been using mine with a modified USB cable to run my touchstone for about a year and a half. (My soldering iron was too large to get in close enough to solder the LiquidAux pins together internally.)

I have never noticed the LiquidAux seem warm to the touch or had any problems with charging. The unit does seem to lose its pairing sometimes, and the mic is pretty bad. Pairing with the little remote also seems to be lost on occasion. I think in the thread below someone talks about adding an external mic.

See this thread:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...h-car-kit.html
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    Yes! That's the thread that sold me. Lots of great info there. (Still considering that mic mod...)

And thanks for the two cents on the current draw.