Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sprint called me the other day- just to check in and see how things are going with my new Pre. I told them I love the thing, but service in my area sucks. It always has even before I got the Pre.

Long story short, they're shipping me one free of charge.

This got me thinking.. what does Sprint gain from giving these things out like candy?

• Slowly expanding their network/coverage area 1 home at a time?
    • Happy Customers?
    • You'll tell your friend about it- he'll go buy one?
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I believe if you are roaming, it costs them a lot of money?

perhaps, if you don't get one, and they think you will leave sprint, then it's worth it to them?
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    Happy customer easily.

Its good business. But even if you had to pay for it...its really not outragous.

Then you can use it for 2G phone calls and keep your wifi on. Seems pretty great if you don't have good service.
    Because if you have crap reception at your house you probably won't be a customer. By extending service to your house of office or whatever, they remove a barrier of entry. The devices probably aren't worth as much as a new customer.
  5.    #5  
    I would be curious to know the true cost of an airave for sprint.. my guess is less than $2.00
    Quote Originally Posted by twilightpix View Post
    I would be curious to know the true cost of an airave for sprint.. my guess is less than $2.00
    Way more than that. Someone from inside sprint once told me that they cost over $200 per unit for them.
    yeah I have to call and see if I can get one for free today. I've always had bad coverage at my house, but my old phone would only drop calls every once in a while. The pre drops them all the time. I had actually looked at the airave before, but was unwilling (as I still am) to pay $99 + $5/month.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    getting one is really easy, i had the same problem poor coverage, i called up, asked for cancelations, I explained that I had poor coverage even though the map said I do. I heard about this Airwave thing, no one could tell me anything about it, and i'm not paying 100 bucks for something to give me better service that i already have. The guy will cut in, and go. I can take care of you.

Its about making customers happy. The device is kind of crappy if you already have good reception. It helps when you don't though. It can only handle 3 phones at a time, and no EVDO. but it makes your calls fantastic.
    I might have returned my Pre hadn't been for the airave and i think thats the whole point of it ...

What makes me scratch my head is that being they are giving them away so easily i wonder if its because Sprint or Palm had already known that reception wasn't the greatest coming into the device to begin with .....or maybe something to do with the towers and connectivety to such a newer tech device ...

Either way i am happy to see full bars versus the big R in the corner and with Wifi it makes the Pre almost a perfect device. Now only if i could bring my airave to work everyday (there still are some bad areas for the pre) but the pros def out do the cons for me !
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
    Way more than that. Someone from inside sprint once told me that they cost over $200 per unit for them.
    Perhaps retail, but the manufacturing costs are probably way less. Look at the Touchstone, made for $5, sold for $70.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    100 dollars lost + 7 dollars per month lost

vs.

200 dollars for the pre + at least 69 per month lost

if they keep us, they make 161 bucks vs zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    I might have returned my Pre hadn't been for the airave and i think thats the whole point of it ...

What makes me scratch my head is that being they are giving them away so easily i wonder if its because Sprint or Palm had already known that reception wasn't the greatest coming into the device to begin with .....or maybe something to do with the towers and connectivety to such a newer tech device ...

Either way i am happy to see full bars versus the big R in the corner and with Wifi it makes the Pre almost a perfect device. Now only if i could bring my airave to work everyday (there still are some bad areas for the pre) but the pros def out do the cons for me !
    It's probably because Sprint needs to hold onto customers badly. They've been giving away Airaves to other customers too.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Perhaps retail, but the manufacturing costs are probably way less. Look at the Touchstone, made for $5, sold for $70.
    Nice ... Blaq, see your from New Ro, grew up there! Small world eh
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

can someone tell me how they got to the people giving them away...I just spend 30 minutes with the Airrave tech guys...all I got was it is a smart investment and no carrier will guarantee service in your house...BS!
    I love the pre...but if my customers can't get in touch with me...what good is it!
    I've had the same issues at bjschaef. Spent 30 mins getting bounced around for tech support to tell me that I probably needed an Airave but that they were only available at my local store and that I'd need to call there. Same deal through the chat on Sprint.com, offered it to me for $50 + the monthly charge. We've got 2 Pres and she works from home so it is critical that they work, but I'm not looking to sink additional costs in.
    Airave doesn't cost sprint that much and it keeps customers from leaving. You are still footing the bill for your broadband connection it uses.
    Also, the Airave doesn't really cost them anything service-wise.

In fact, since you're using your home Internet connection instead of their tower, it's actually saving them bandwidth on their towers.
    Call Sprint as you would normally do and ask specifically for Acct. Services and don't let sales or customer service reps try and talk you out of it, just explain i am having some concerns and i would really like it if you could transfer me to acct. services thank you!

Worked for me, and i was transfered to one of the nicest reps, honestly wish i could talk to acct services everytime i call! Also Sprint called me back the other day to see if i was having better days with the airave and my Pre, that also never happened!
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

Guys, please remember that sprint scored in the top 5 lowest for CS support. I would assume that with this new release, this would be an opportunity to redeem ones self.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    i called about it, and i literally had the nicest rep, I told him it was nice to not have to fight with a rep. I have been with sprint for 10 yrs, premier cust etc, he said that im not exactly a high risk customer, and sprint has authorized for them to give them out free of charge to customers that need them, Mine should be in today, It was easier than changing my plan. I didn't straight out ask them for it, i just had the problem of no service in the home. And they offered and i didn't push. it was very easy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast