Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CR12 when did you call? I called today and the rep told me that they were no longer providing free Airaves to consumers who needed them. (I even talked to someone in retention).
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smedley12 View Post
    CR12 when did you call? I called today and the rep told me that they were no longer providing free Airaves to consumers who needed them. (I even talked to someone in retention).
    They must not like you.

But seriously, they apparently don't.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    It's to keep customers, that and it's cheaper and easier to send you an Airave than it would be to expand the network to fully cover all the customer homes with weak signals.
    NEW NEWS
    I called again today and asked for Customer Retention....Told her tech support told me I needed it but that I needed to go buy it. Then I explained I had a "FRIEND" that was given the airave for free (thanks PreCentral) and my brand new Airave will arrive on Monday morning! (Victory!)
    P.S. Just downloaded 1.0.3 update....I don't see any improvement in the signal strengths....maybe 1.0.4!!
    Yeah- I just called Sprint, threatened to leave due to spotty coverage in my house. The rep asked me if I had a high speed internet connection and router and she offered to send me an Airave free with 2 years of waived monthly fees. Hope this thing works.
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I wonder if the fact that they will be releasing the 3g version of the AiRave later this year has anything to do with the amount of free AiRave's that they are giving out now? May be trying to clear out stock of the old item.
    on the phone with sprint right now and theyre telling me the airave wont even work in my home because there is no sprint tower anywhere nearby and it needs to be working off of a sprint tower. Is this complete BS or no?? I was under the impression that the airave just worked over my broadband connection like a VOIP headset would
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Also, the Airave doesn't really cost them anything service-wise.

In fact, since you're using your home Internet connection instead of their tower, it's actually saving them bandwidth on their towers.
    THIS is another key. It actually improves their cell network for others, in addition to improving your personal experience. If everyone is using an Airave and wi-fi while at home, Sprint's bandwidth usage drops considerably. This, in turn, improves performance for other people who aren't using an Airave at that time. It's a win-win for Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by jprerusinak View Post
    Yeah- I just called Sprint, threatened to leave due to spotty coverage in my house. The rep asked me if I had a high speed internet connection and router and she offered to send me an Airave free with 2 years of waived monthly fees. Hope this thing works.
    @jprerusinak - I spent many calls with them doing essentially the very same thing, and no one would budge on offering me a free Airave. The last guy I spoke with told me that they stopped giving them for free as of June 30. you posted you message on July 3, and still got one?! WTF! (glad you got one, but for me, WTF?!)
    I don't know what they cost to make, maybe $50, maybe more. However, here's what else is going on: AiraveII is coming out soon, with EVDO. When that happens, Sprint is sitting on a warehouse full of 1x Airaves that will immediately become junk. They might as well get rid of as many as they can as part of a customer goodwill program. If they can get the customer to buy into unlimited service as part of it, great. If not, they at least reduce network congestion and roaming time.
    I am betting that success with getting an Airave is connected to a few parameters:

The customer's value to Sprint: how much they make or potentially will make on you dependent on your plan, length of service, how often you call to complain, etc.

The load on the towers that you access. For example if you live in an area that has an over loaded tower. This could happen if you are very rural and have few towers to share, or very city and have tons of people in the same area.

Disclaimer: This is pure 100% unadulterated speculation and I have now reason to believe that I am even in the ball park with Sprint's decision making protocols.
    I had the same problem in my home after I got the pre, I got the airave for free and at no monthly charge. It works great throughout my home. Go for it and tell them that u dont want to pay the monthly charge, they will send you one
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    Kept me from probably leaving.. I had poor reception with my Centro - but worse with the Pre - since getting my airwave (free with no monthly payments) I get 4-5 bars all the time. Of course (as they tell you) - it only helps with phone calls - not with internet usage.
    I called a few times and have one coming to me in 1-2 weeks. I told them that I get crappy reception at work and that I'll test the Airave there, too. The rep said that's a good idea and that if it works well, to call tech support again to get one for the office (for free). How does Sprint benefit? Well, we have a bunch of ppl here at work that are on Sprint but have to go outside or near a window to use the phone. A few ppl have switched to Verizon b/c it gets slightly better signal. So if Sprint works well inside the building after I install the Airave, then some ppl might actually switch back to Sprint (eventually, after their contracts are up).
    The airave also saves Sprint money by originating calls over your internet connection instead of on their expensive licensed frequency and cell network.
    Thanks for the Airave info guys. I don't have a pre or a new phone in my account, but my parents are in an area where they have bad reception so I called retention and told them about my parents coverage and that I heard they were giving away free airave. He confirmed my parents address as good reception and asked if I was considering cancelling service. I said yes and he said he would give me the airave and 2 year of free service but I had to re-up my moms account to another 2 years. Contract on it is up til Nov 2010 anyways so I just agreed to it. I hope this thing really works cause everytime I talk to them, the calls gets dropped or they can't hear me. They are older and retired so it will be a piece of mind to know that we can contact them and they can contact anyone just incase.

So benifit for Sprint is they make $21.24 after 2 years and don't lose a customer.

$99 Airave
    $4.99 x 24 months = $119.76
    Total $218.76 Savings

My cost
    $10 add a phone x 24 months = $240 if I don't cancel my service
    OR $175 if I cancel my service

In the end, I think I benifit.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    So airave is using broadband connection to extend tower service? Or would airave make our phone more of a VoIP kinda deal where calls go from our phone to airave, wirelessly, then wired from airave, to broadband, to internet, to somewhere, to a sprint tower?

And if you had wireless internet, and airave, then you would have great 1x, and wifi in your home...everything would be covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by tycoonbob View Post
    So airave is using broadband connection to extend tower service? Or would airave make our phone more of a VoIP kinda deal where calls go from our phone to airave, wirelessly, then wired from airave, to broadband, to internet, to somewhere, to a sprint tower?

And if you had wireless internet, and airave, then you would have great 1x, and wifi in your home...everything would be covered.
    Airave is for voice only and doesn't affect data. See info below.

Sprint AIRAVE™
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12