Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Ok i just did this my self. I actually did this through the chat service offered on the sprint site. at first they tried to sell it to me and they i asked to be switched to a manager and then she said they are running a special now and they will ship it to me. But since i had a spending limit on my account i had to pay for it via credit card and she is refunding me that money on my bill.
    Well, I have been having the singal issues at my house, called Sprint several times (and each time made sure they put a note in my file) Tech support (a higher level guy) was supposed to call me back and never did.

So called today first CSR transferred me to tech support, she saw notes in the file and then mentioned the Airrave and sent me to customer care. The woman at customer care discussed my problem and then clearly prompted me to say I was considering dropping one of my lines because of the reception. I didn't bring it up, she did and the way she worded it she clearly was leading me to say I was. Never any mention of me buying it.

As soon as I said yes, if the reception could not be improved I would have to consider dropping at least one of my lines (i have 5 sprint phones right now including one I added a couple weeks ago for my wife that I could still drop easily as within 30 days) she told me about the Airrave. No charge and no monthly fee. Made a big deal that I am a valued customer and don't want to lose me.

So can't complain about that. Now will see if it works.
    Last edited by midmofan; 06/18/2009 at 02:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    How did a few posts above me get their airwave within 24 hours? Mine was just shipped yesterday for 2day mail and I ordered it on Monday!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I take it you don't have a Pre? There's no need to remember to turn on WiFi on my unit. And yes, I would prefer to use WiFi at home. Even if I had a good signal, WiFi is better than EVDO.
    Perhaps I'm missing something here. My speculation was that while I'm away from home (and knowing I won't be wanting to connect to any wi-fi), that I'd probably save battery by turning the wi-fi off. Of course this means, I have to remember to turn it on when I get back home. If there's a way to do this automatically, that would be great! (I have to confess to not reading most of the manual (since Sprint never supplied one to me). I did read bits and pieces on from the leaked manual shortly before release date. If I'm being a total ***** and there is a no-brainer way to make this happen, I'd be thrilled. Barring an existing solution, I'd like the phone to recognize via GPS that I'm near my wi-fi gps coordinates and automatically turn the wi-fi on for me.

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Perhaps I'm missing something here. My speculation was that while I'm away from home (and knowing I won't be wanting to connect to any wi-fi), that I'd probably save battery by turning the wi-fi off. Of course this means, I have to remember to turn it on when I get back home. If there's a way to do this automatically, that would be great! (I have to confess to not reading most of the manual (since Sprint never supplied one to me). I did read bits and pieces on from the leaked manual shortly before release date. If I'm being a total ***** and there is a no-brainer way to make this happen, I'd be thrilled. Barring an existing solution, I'd like the phone to recognize via GPS that I'm near my wi-fi gps coordinates and automatically turn the wi-fi on for me.

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    That would have to be a custom script. But the WiFi turns off when your phone screen turns off.
    Just called retentions via the direct line posted in another thread, 1-866-235-1185

After telling the rep I was within the initial 30 day cancellation period for my Palm Pre and want to know more about the Airave device because I have no signal, zero bars of service and most of the calls I receive or make while at home are dropped within the first minute and are accompanied by a message on my phone telling me the call ended, network signal faded or no service available.

The representatiove was very nice and asked just one question. "Is there a risk of me cancelling my Sprint service due to the lack of signal I am experiencing while at my residence?"

I responded "Yes" then she immediately began to verify my shipping address for the Airave device.

They are shipping me a free Airave device and are not going to charge me a monthly service fee.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I don't understand the "bastards" and "wtf" reactions.... Why not just "Thanks, I appreciate that"?
    Me neither------but you should. Just about everyone else is getting unlimited years free when the Airave is required. Now they're screwing this guy around again with free service for 2 years.

bastards
    wtf
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    Sorry, I misunderstood. No way I know of for the WiFi option to turn itself back on. For me, that's a moot point though, the Airave doesn't factor in. I would have it in WiFi mode when I'm at home regardless.

I typically don't turn mine off, since I have charger sources everywhere I go.
    Quote Originally Posted by 72guy View Post
    Me neither------but you should. Just about everyone else is getting unlimited years free when the Airave is required. Now they're screwing this guy around again with free service for 2 years.

bastards
    wtf
    He's still getting more than he paid for. Who knows what 2 years from now will bring.
    Just called retentions and mentioned that if I could not get better coverage at my house, I'd switch to another carrier. She said since I'd been a customer since 2000, she'd be happy to send me a free Airave and provide the service for free forever. Not more than 10 minutes on the phone, total.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    He's still getting more than he paid for. Who knows what 2 years from now will bring.
    Please God. Bring an update from PALM before 2 years.

I do see where you're headed. 2 years and he can bow out of his contract for whatever is the latest and greatest. No cost to the poster and if he wants to continue on with his present technology. He can strike a deal to get the fees waived.

I suppose a 2 year timeframe in this industry is about as good as unlimited.

Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    That would have to be a custom script. But the WiFi turns off when your phone screen turns off.
    I just experimented with turning on and off the phone to see what my wi-fi connection is doing in hopes of understanding what you were describing. When I turn off the power button, and turn it back on, that by wi-fi goes through a reconnection process. (I'm in an EV-DO coverage area at home.) I'm hoping that the wi-fi stays on for someone in a 1XRTT area when they are connected via wi-fi at home. If so, I can now see why some of you are saying this is "automatic". it sounds like Palm might have really thought this through! If so, great!

Your comment made me think about a way that the carriers could make it harder for people to use their Pre handsets as VOIP handsets. Luckily, Palm and Sprint have either not discovered or not implemented my idea (so I won't suggest it here!)

Anyway, thanks for mentioning how the wifi is automatic. It still means that my phone will try to connect to wifi unless I turn it off. Yes, my idea for only looking for wifi hot spots based on gps coordinates could start it's life as a custom script, but maybe once implemented and tested, we could submit a patch back to the palm developers and maybe it could become an official feature down the road!

--
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by 72guy View Post

bastards
    wtf
    I think when they say "2 years", that is just the customer service rep erring on the side of caution (probably because they are not 100% sure of the policy is). More than likely, after 2 years, it will still be free.

--
    Bob
    Has anyone had luck getting two airaves, one for home.. one for the office? I got one for home and it's great but now that I'm back to work (was on vacation) I have no service here. I work for a recording studio which is someones house, do you think I can get one for here?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Has anyone had luck getting two airaves, one for home.. one for the office? I got one for home and it's great but now that I'm back to work (was on vacation) I have no service here. I work for a recording studio which is someones house, do you think I can get one for here?
    I'm an IT guy contracting with the government. I currently support three different facilities. Since the free one they gave me for home is working so well, maybe I should hit them up for three more for work.

Plus, I visit my daughter's house pretty regularly. Would sure come in handy there.

Did I mention I actually have four daughters?

Seriously, you guys are amazing...
    Someone in a different thread got two.. one for home.. one for office. Can I take my airave to the office and use it there?
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Call Sprint today and told them about the poor reception at my house and office (i really DO have poor reception there). I was offered the Airrave at $100 and $4.99 a month (not much of an offer at all). I said that I don't feel that I should pay for something that I shouldn't need in the 1st place with a decent cell phone network. I was put on hold and now the lady told me that they'll go hafsies and I'll only be charged $50 for it + the monthly fee. I got mad and told them that I want to cancel my service completely (I've been a customer for years and have 3 lines with them) and that I heard that others were getting them free of charge. She replied that it all depended on the plan, etc. So I told her to cancel all my lines (I wasn't really going to go through with it, but I play poker and decided to keep my "poker face" on till the very end.) She asked if I wanted to speak with her supervisor and I said yes. After 15 minutes on hold, I was told that I was going to get a callback. When Sherry (the supervisor did call me back (in an hour) she could barely hear me due to the reception cutting in and out at my office. I had her call me back on the landline. She gladly offered me the Airrave at 0 charge and no monthly charges.

Moral of the story? Be stern with them and stand your ground. If the network was perfect, we wouldn't be in this thread to begin with. They should be accomodating to their customers, especially since Sprint is far from the top cell carriers (look at the statistics and how many customers they lost last year, not to mention their stock vs Verizon and AT&T). Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Someone in a different thread got two.. one for home.. one for office. Can I take my airave to the office and use it there?
    yes you can. Unplug, plug. Done deal.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I called Saturday to get one. After the call, I was thinking about whether or not I could take it between home and work, but then she called back a few minutes later and asked if I wanted one for work too!

Got both up and running. The one at home doesn't do much, but I now have a signal at work which I have never had.

The key is to be nice. If you yell and scream at people, they will be less likely to help you.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Oh, I was very nice with them (even when mad). I remained calm and just told them that I would like to cancel my service if they will charge me for it. And I explained why it was unfair to charge me for something that I shouldn't need in the 1st place. But you are right, don't scream and yell. lol
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast