Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast
    I think I'm going to wait until Sprint releases the 3G version before I try and grab one
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Thanks 2 all for the advice. Just spoke with Sprint and they're giving me 2 yrs. free for the Airave. I played dumb and said I was thinking of renewing my contract, but was tired of not getting a signal at home, and wanted to know if there was anything they could do. They mentioned the Airave, but wanted me to pay for it. I reminded them that I had 3 lines and was a Premier customer. They quickly transferred me to a rep who made the offer of 2 yrs. free. Waiting to see if/when it comes, if/when it works, and if/when I get the fees waived. When this all happens, and the 1.1 update hits, I'll get me a Pre.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    My entire process took awhile (35 min.), but I gave them the old, 'Going to be telecommuting and I live in a flukey area in a valley.'

Just got a Pre, other line is my old Instinct.

Finally got to Account Services and the guy heard my story and asked me if I was threatening to leave...I said, no and how much I liked the Pre, but I thought they could 'help me out'...on hold two minutes and viola, An Airwave and two years of paid service.

Sometimes its easier to tell the truth. Or maybe my Premier status is finally paying off.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
    I think I'm going to wait until Sprint releases the 3G version before I try and grab one
    Anyone know when this will happen?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone with Sprint. I got the Airave + 2 years of service for free. Just told them the truth. Coverage was a problem in my home and I wanted to stay with Sprint if it was possible to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    Anyone know when this will happen?
    No, though when I called in an attempt to get an Airave, they told me they were out of stock and not have more until September. They also looked up my home location, and said that I was in a roaming area and I could not use an Airave even if they offered me one. On the coverage maps, there is green all around me within a couple of miles, but I'm in a gray "roaming" area.

I tried explaining my only coverage problem is while at home, and that I thought that was exactly what the Airave was for. Cases where you need better coverage and home, and have broadband it can use. I even tried escalating up to two different managers and they said the same thing -- when in a roaming area the box can not be used.

At any rate, I don't see the advantage of the future 3G model unless you are using a phone without WiFi. By definition, an Airave will mean you have broadband access to the location, so even if you did not have WiFi running yet, it seems like WiFi makes more sense than 3G for data to the phone.

For 3G capable phones without WiFi, I can see value in the future 3G model. But since the Pre has wifi, what is the point of waiting for a new box?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreOwned View Post
    No, though when I called in an attempt to get an Airave, they told me they were out of stock and not have more until September. They also looked up my home location, and said that I was in a roaming area and I could not use an Airave even if they offered me one. On the coverage maps, there is green all around me within a couple of miles, but I'm in a gray "roaming" area.

I tried explaining my only coverage problem is while at home, and that I thought that was exactly what the Airave was for. Cases where you need better coverage and home, and have broadband it can use. I even tried escalating up to two different managers and they said the same thing -- when in a roaming area the box can not be used.

At any rate, I don't see the advantage of the future 3G model unless you are using a phone without WiFi. By definition, an Airave will mean you have broadband access to the location, so even if you did not have WiFi running yet, it seems like WiFi makes more sense than 3G for data to the phone.

For 3G capable phones without WiFi, I can see value in the future 3G model. But since the Pre has wifi, what is the point of waiting for a new box?
    Unless of course you want to view Sprint TV on your phone. Sprint TV does not work on WIFI, only their network.
    Quote Originally Posted by packpackpack View Post
    Unless of course you want to view Sprint TV on your phone. Sprint TV does not work on WIFI, only their network.
    And if you are at home, why would you be watching Sprint TV?? Are you lounging by the pool or something?
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packpackpack View Post
    I don't understand this. I have an Airave; I have my WiFi turned on and Sprint TV is working.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhuff View Post
    I don't understand this. I have an Airave; I have my WiFi turned on and Sprint TV is working.
    And if you turned WiFi off or unplugged the Airave, Sprint TV would still probably work. It sounds like you actually have sufficient data coverage for Sprint TV, because Sprint TV is locked to EVDO (or at least to data connections excluding wifi).

Other threads have speculated this may be due to licensing restrictions by the varioius channel providers.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreOwned View Post
    And if you turned WiFi off or unplugged the Airave, Sprint TV would still probably work. It sounds like you actually have sufficient data coverage for Sprint TV, because Sprint TV is locked to EVDO (or at least to data connections excluding wifi).

Other threads have speculated this may be due to licensing restrictions by the varioius channel providers.
    Yes, EVDO is there when I turn WiFi off.
    FrankenPre2!!!
    Thanks
    tried gettin the airave today because for years my signal has been bad in my house but no luck, got a no personality rep on the phone said that they put a tag on the tower in my area and the airave is back ordered and didnt even mention giving it to me. I told him how ridiculous it is that I have to pay extra for the device and every month because THEIR signal is horrible. Im not much of a complainer because I know what its like to be on the other end of that stick but I think that is just so stupid. I WANT MY FREE AIRAVE!!!!!!!!!! I would also like a date of when it will come back in stock so I can call again and maybe ill get a rep with some sort of personality this time.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    As a former AT&T & Verizon customer, I have found Sprint reps to be very accommodating & courteous. I approach them -- like anyone else who works for a living -- with some logic & respect. I have yet to be disappointed. My wife & I each have a phone. I have the Pre, (2nd phone w Sprint) & 3 towers within a few miles of me, yet when I explained that I just wasn't getting the proper service in my home, they sent an AirRave right out to me w/o a problem. It did have to be okayed by a mgr, however. So my advice -- as tho anyone has asked for it -- is to be reasonable & honest about your situation & it'll probably work out. No need to threaten. They've heard it too many times. BTW, the device really does make a difference if you are in a problem area.
    I don't have broadband in my home (my internet access is through my data card) so no Airave for me. With my old Rumor I had great coverage in my area, in my home, in my office. Since I got the PRE I have to stand on one foot, point north and hold my breath to get a phone call completed from my office. Kidding, but almost.

Why would all be well with one sprint phone and not with another?

Any ideas -- I'd call Sprint, but is there anything other than live without cell phone coverage at my desk that they could suggest?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Called today and mentioned that my Pre was constantly switching to Roam in my house. The rep confirmed that I was in an area of only "fair" converage, and mentioned the Airave product, but of course mentioned the cost associated. I simply stated that I wasn't interested in paying additional cost for an improved signal.

He made no further attempt to try to rectify the situation, other than recommending that I have the phone itself checked out at the nearest Sprint store.

No free Airave here... unless I can get the folks at the Sprint store to do it.
    I was going to ask for an Airave, I'm stuck in the zone too. But then i did the roam only hack for the Pre. Now when i get home i just switch over to Verizon, works like a charm. Sprint pays Verizon for the ability to let me roam, so why not take advantage of it. I don't even think the problem is with sprint, it's more likely that it's the way the sprint signal hangs on too long in poor reception areas.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Dang it! I wish I would have seen this thread before I went and purchased my AirRave. My house is right in the middle of a roaming zone on Sprint's coverage map. Oh well, at least I can use my cell in the house now.
    I will get mine in 3-4 weeks...I just emailed sprint and they called me a few days later and gave it to me free...below is a copy of the email she sent me as confirmation. I must admit as a new customer I am very impressed with their customer service.

Good Afternoon,

As per our conversation the Airave will ship in 2-3 weeks and the order number is.... .

The Airave is free and the service charge of $4.99 is being waived for two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by janrif View Post
    As a former AT&T & Verizon customer, I have found Sprint reps to be very accommodating & courteous. I approach them -- like anyone else who works for a living -- with some logic & respect. I have yet to be disappointed. My wife & I each have a phone. I have the Pre, (2nd phone w Sprint) & 3 towers within a few miles of me, yet when I explained that I just wasn't getting the proper service in my home, they sent an AirRave right out to me w/o a problem. It did have to be okayed by a mgr, however. So my advice -- as tho anyone has asked for it -- is to be reasonable & honest about your situation & it'll probably work out. No need to threaten. They've heard it too many times. BTW, the device really does make a difference if you are in a problem area.
    Honestly, this man is speaking the truth. When talking to these people, you have to remember that they are doing a job to support themselves. They shouldn't have to sit on the other end of the line and hear you complain and yell and cry because you aren't getting something. This thread really seems to be one devoted to a bunch of freeloaders just looking for a handout..
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast