Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfe1 View Post
    Do people not do research anymore when looking into buying things?

I must've seen like 400 different houses/condos when trying to make my first house purchase.

I went to 5 different dealerships before buying my car last year.

Before I moved my cellular service to Sprint (from t-mobile). I was all over the internet thoroughly researching the different issues that people would have with the other services. I asked friends with different services to come by my new place and my work so I could see how their service was.

How is it Sprints fault that you chose a service that had bad reception in your area. Knowing that it's something you could've figured out for yourself before hopping into a contract?

Some of the stories in here are amazing. People saying they've been with sprint for 5, 7 years and whatnot. And in all that time you were having bad service you didn't think to once change?

Incredible the sense of entitlement that's rampant within this thread.

Some sense of responsibility should be shown by a company, but as consumers you aren't showing any either.
    Great job jumping to conclusions. Some people have already stated that they had no reception problems until they switched to the Pre. Some people happened to have moved to a new house/apartment and get poor reception inside their new home. Some people have stated that according to Sprint they should be getting good reception but they're not.

Either way, it should be up to Sprint to fix these problems.
    I wasn't trying to be rude. I'm frustrated. I've had a samsung for a year, that repeatedly drops calls, and goes out of service for days at a time, dispite the fact it says it has 5 bars. This is my third samsung. In all this time, no one once ever told me about the Airave. Meanwhile, my husbands blackberry gets perfect reception in all the same places (We both work from home). If I get perfect reception with the Pre, do I want an airave? No. I don't need it, and I won't ask for. I just hope I don't have the same problems. But after reading everyones problems, I'm not too optimistic. I did not mean to come off as demanding, I'm just frustrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Wow someone admitted getting a free Airave and did not need it. If I did not need the one they sent me I would send it back to Sprint or give it to someone who needed it. If you have a legitimate problem with reception then they should give it to you. Your already paying for the service.
    (my emphasis added). No you are not. Support sytems for this are not part of the existing infractructure. It requires that Sprint have additional bandwidth on another network, servers for the devices to log into, and support for it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieDec04 View Post
    I wasn't trying to be rude. I'm frustrated. I've had a samsung for a year, that repeatedly drops calls, and goes out of service for days at a time, dispite the fact it says it has 5 bars. This is my third samsung. In all this time, no one once ever told me about the Airave. Meanwhile, my husbands blackberry gets perfect reception in all the same places (We both work from home). If I get perfect reception with the Pre, do I want an airave? No. I don't need it, and I won't ask for. I just hope I don't have the same problems. But after reading everyones problems, I'm not too optimistic. I did not mean to come off as demanding, I'm just frustrated.
    I suspect if you calmly express those issues, without making demands, you'll have positive results. No guarantee, because people are strange everywhere, but I called Sprint, told them my problems, said I wasn't changing, but I felt I should have good reception at home, and didn't feel I should have to pay for it. They sent me my Airave.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I suspect if you calmly express those issues, without making demands, you'll have positive results. No guarantee, because people are strange everywhere, but I called Sprint, told them my problems, said I wasn't changing, but I felt I should have good reception at home, and didn't feel I should have to pay for it. They sent me my Airave.
    Thats what I'm hoping. I know I came off...rude. But it was late, I was tired. And I had just realized my new phone might have the same issues as this thing I'd like to toss out a 12 story windows. I was a little disappointed. We'll see how Monday goes.
    I'm not having much luck getting Airave for Free, they're telling I have to pay for it. (just got my Pre yesterday).
    I gave it the old college try! (isn't that what they say?)

I called retention one more time before heading out to port my numbers elsewhere, and still no dice on a free Airave. Apparently it was noted in my account that I have spoken to someone about the Airave a few days ago. I told this guy the same thing, that I shouldn't have to buy a separate piece of equipment to make their phone work in my home (super poor reception), but he wasn't budging. He just told me about its "great features" blah blah blah.

Just for the record, I was NOT trying to scam a free Airave. This seems to have come up in this thread recently. I truly did have TERRIBLE reception at my home with EVERY call being dropped and simply tried to get one as so many others have received.

Oh well, screw Sprint! My 3 years of service and wife's more years of service apparently did not mean much to Sprint retention department, so T-Mobile/Verizon/AT&T -- here I come! Maybe I'll go to Verizon as I hear that the Pre is headed their way...

--
    Alan
    SF, CA
    Had my Airave for 2 weeks now and all of a sudden it does not work. GPS won't get a lock even with a direct view to the sky. 2 solid red lights: System and GPS. Thank God for the roam only hack .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Just talked with Airave< worked my story kinda good but only got the price knocked down to $50. & I have no spending limit so I put it on my account.
    Hope this thing works.
    I just got on for free also no fees for 2 years. But did you guys have to re-up your contract? I had to for one of my lines. FYI I don't have a Pre so having a Pre shouldn't matter to get the Airave for free.
    I tried the other day. Couldn't get anywhere. Damn it. I really need it too. My reception sucks in my house. And it only happened after I got my Pre. Oye. I'm NOT paying $100 plus $5 a month after that.
    Treo 650p --> Treo 755p --> Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Great job jumping to conclusions. Some people have already stated that they had no reception problems until they switched to the Pre. Some people happened to have moved to a new house/apartment and get poor reception inside their new home. Some people have stated that according to Sprint they should be getting good reception but they're not.

Either way, it should be up to Sprint to fix these problems.
    I'd like to point out, for the foundation of my comment, that's an opinion not a fact. Sprint is, in this writers opinion, Not responsible to make sure that the phone works in your house, in your basement, in your office. Sprint has, at most, a strong motivation to attempt to produce a network that people would want to stay on. However, if it were their legal or moral or corporate obligation to make a device work in every house (or other mentioned area), the task would be technologically and logistically impossible, and I believe anyone with critical reasoning would be able to realize this. It only took me, a fairly average individual, about forty-five seconds to think of over two dozen things that Sprint can't do a thing about that would impact reception in a home environment. There's a reason many people (and I'm not saying anyone specific, just a generalization based on my personal experience) tend to exit their homes, and within a few feet they get better reception.

On a different note -- I'm one of the people who called, told the customer service rep how happy I am with the Pre, but how sad I am that I was told my house and the surrounding area would be covered, only to find that its not. The maps show my house right in the middle of a coverage area, with no dead-spots around for over twenty miles. The sales rep asked me straight up, if this would impact my decision to stay on the Sprint network, and I told them that it would. They then asked if I had a high speed internet connection in my house, and I told them I did. At this point, the customer sales rep asked me how much my bill was per month. I told her that my next bill was going to about over 500 because of the Pre, but then it would go down to a bit over 100 a month. She told me that qualified me as, if I recall, a "Premier" Sprint customer, and that she saw I was a member of their "family" with our nextel phones for almost a decade. I responded, that I couldn't believe it had been so long, but she assured me that was the case, and they would do whatever it took to keep me happy. Then she transferred me to retention with a request to send me the AirRave. Retention asked me a few more questions, and then said a charge would appear on my account, and then be credited back a few minutes later, and that for the life of my contract I could use the AirRave for free. I asked if I moved, which I will be doing when I return to graduate school, if i could take it with me, in case the reception wasn't good on my campus. He said that wouldn't be a problem, but if I went to a place I no longer needed it, to return it. He then said he would send it in the mail and I could expect it shortly.

I hope that someone who is looking to get one of these devices can use my story of success to perhaps frame the way the approach the phone call. I knew about the AirRave, but I didn't mention it to either rep. In my general outline, I left out that I asked general questions, such as "will this solve the problem?"

That pretty much sums it up. Good luck to everyone who wants this device. Also, I hope I my comments don't spark any bad blood with those in this thread.
    My experience was very similar to marsknight. I was pretty much "led" into saying the right things to get the airave free. And like him, I am a long time customer that has spent a lot with sprint so I get why they want to keep me happy.

BUT I just got my bill and guess what, there was $105.71 line item on my bill for the airave without any credit. Interestingly they DID have the monthly charge listed and credited so they got that one right. What is tricky is that the line-item bill for the device does not say "Airave" it says:

SAM LCIB VOICE 1X DATA

THIS is the airave box. I called sprint up and, after looking at my account agreed that the notes in the file said it was supposed to be free and they have since credited my account. Might not have been necessary, but when I had the conversation with the rep that got me the airave in the first place, I specifically asked her to make sure she put a notation on my account that it was supposed to be free. They might do it anyway, but IF you get promised a free Airave, make sure you ask that they put a note in your file.
    Just received my Airave 2 days ago, now I have 5 solid bars & anywhere I go in my house I have perfect reception. Yes my bill for the Airave was knocked down to $50 & I beleive if you want something you have to pay for it, nothing is for free.
    I'm being VERY carefull calling Sprint since they have so many departments our info will get lost & create total confusion with our files even if notes are posted- Be carefull. I know.
    I have everything for my Pre except a formed fit screen protector(finding this is driving me crazy).
    Still learning it & am very happy with all that I now have for it.
    Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post

Might not have been necessary, but when I had the conversation with the rep that got me the airave in the first place, I specifically asked her to make sure she put a notation on my account that it was supposed to be free. They might do it anyway, but IF you get promised a free Airave, make sure you ask that they put a note in your file.
    Great Advice... My first bill was just shipped out yesterday - haven't received it yet, but its going to be a huge bill since the Pre is on it, as well as two months of service. I'll be sure to check for the AirRave on it, and I have Spring Customer Service on speed-dial, just in case~
    I use wi-fi at my home with the Airave, I get 5 bars all the time, to me I think its a worthwhile investment & I'm glad I have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickonline View Post
    After reading about the Airave, I thought hmmm why not especially since reception is poor in my basement.

I know people have used the old retention department trick to get the Airave (i.e. give them a sob story about how you love your Pre and Sprint but you might have to leave).

I'm a little more direct. I said my service is poor in my home, I'm a new subscriber, I have a Palm Pre. My wife has been with Sprint for 10 years and also upgraded to the Pre and I said... "you don't expect me to pay extra to get better reception do you". I said it in a joking way. The guy laughed and said... I totally agree.

He said: Actually the unit is free for any customer without spending limits on their account. Apparently they bill it to you and credit it back. So it's no secret. Just tell them your reception is spotty and you'd like an Airave.

I also confirmed that I will never pay a monthly service fee for the box.

My apologies if this has already covered.
    I've had an Airave for a while now...and it works like a charm!!! The area I live in has had a Sprint tower down for 4 years, so I don't think it's likely they'll fix it anytime soon... I received my unit for free, and was told the service would be free, but I pay the $4.99 EVERY month (no credit back to my account). At first I didn't notice, because it's a hidden fee of sorts and listed as "unknown item". I haven't complained because the $4.99 has been worth it's weight in gold just to have good coverage in my home. We don't have a land line so it was necessary; however I would love to be directed to where you found the "actual policy" that states there is no monthly fee / or how you actually had this confirmed; I wouldn't mind saving the $5/month since I was told I wouldn't be charged.

Thanks in advance!!!
    So much for Sprint getting this processed correctly for me. Retentions told me that I would have an airave and the monthly fee credited. Today my bill posts and I'm hit with a $104.99 charge for the airave, $4.99 monthly fee, $18 Upgrade Fee (not for the Pre, that was on last month's bill) for the friggin' airave, and $12.60 overnight shipping fee (which is fine, even though I wasn't told that I would be charged for this). It should be a lot of fun trying to get this resolved with Retentions..
    I recieved the $18 charge for "upgrade" for the Airave. They did charge the $5 but did credit it aswell. Im not going to ***** about the $18 charge when I got the Airave and service free. It does its job and im happy to pay the $18
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    i got one for free too, but they would not drop the monthly fee i hope my next bill we be credited
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast