Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Pretend that I am hanging up with you...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    There are lots of phone companies out there, and lots of phones. Haven't you switched by now?
    Maybe he has and none of the other carriers wanted to deal with him. The last thing I do is act rudely towards CS. Then again, I've never felt the need to be rude to CS.
    I just picked one up from a store yesterday, after speaking to three people(basic CSR, tech support and finally, Account Services.

Sprint is giving it to me for free as well and my signal is finally better in my house. The only thing was that I was hoping for the unlimited plan, but they gave me $4.99 plan, free for two years instead. I'm not complaining though! Thanks Sprint!
    Quote Originally Posted by lylebrous View Post
    Pretend that I am hanging up with you...
    Wow.... I really goofed on this. When I was responding to you earlier, I thought you were an adult. Now I'm impressed - a child has actually been able to read all of this.

Your parents need to teach you maners though kiddie.
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/03/2009 at 06:51 PM.
    First post here. I should have joined this a few weeks ago. I would probably have a free Airave and decent reception by now.

According to the retentions person I spoke with within the last hour, Sprint can no longer offer free Airaves (read more for the reason I was given).

Just like all of you, I have way poor reception at my home with the Palm Pre device. Sprint has always been bad here in my home, but never THIS bad. My previous phone, Treo 650, would drop a call now and then (I had specific places in my home where I could stand at to get a bit of extra signal). My Palm Pre drops EVERY call within 15 seconds. Some calls don't even ring, they just go straight to voice mail.

I have spent way too much time with Sprint CS, retention, supervisors, etc. Since my 30th day of Pre is upon me soon, now was my final attempt to reason with these people. Every single one of them, including the retention supervisor, is clueless.

The first retentions person I spoke with tried to sell me the airave (of course), and I said "no way". I mentioned precentral.net and all of the other people who have the same reception problems, even reading one of the short statements (about getting a free airave) and he thought I was making it up or something. Then I get his supervisor who wants to confirm that I was offered an airave. I told her there's "no way" I'm buying anything over and above the $130+tax I already spend for my 2 lines. This piece of work was more than happy to transfer me out of her call center to an "escalation" department, of which I immediately got a voice mailbox that said they'll "return calls within 2 business days".

So I called back. On this, my final call to retentions, I ~finally~ got an honest person. He told me that basically starting July 1, they CANNOT offer free Airaves anymore. He told me that the Airaves are designed by a 3rd party company and basically said that they want their money. He told me that he would certainly offer me one for free if he could. Finally a helpful person, but it's too late. I said "I don't feel that I should pay for something that I shouldn't need in the 1st place with a decent cell phone network." I even told him that he was the most helpful person I spoke with over the past month. Kind of sucks that the most helpful one had to be on my LAST call instead of my FIRST call.

So I basically missed this 'deadline' by a few days, and all those other times I called about poor reception, I got nowhere with CS and not even a mention of this Airave device.

I even mentioned to almost everyone I spoke with that I will drop Sprint like yesterday's old news. Oh well, now on Monday I have to go and cancel it all. What is now Sprint's loss is AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile's gain! I can't wait to start receiving junk mail from Sprint now saying "come back to us, you are a valued customer" LOL. Hell, I don't even need a lousy cellphone, maybe I won't even subscribe to any provider!

Although I will miss my Pre, I would still be greatly interested to know if anyone still gets an Airave for free, starting now in July.

- Alan
    SF, CA
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alanr666 View Post

So I called back. On this, my final call to retentions, I ~finally~ got an honest person. He told me that basically starting July 1, they CANNOT offer free Airaves anymore. He told me that the Airaves are designed by a 3rd party company and basically said that they want their money. He told me that he would certainly offer me one for free if he could. Finally a helpful person, but it's too late. I said "I don't feel that I should pay for something that I shouldn't need in the 1st place with a decent cell phone network." I even told him that he was the most helpful person I spoke with over the past month. Kind of sucks that the most helpful one had to be on my LAST call instead of my FIRST call.

- Alan
    SF, CA
    Funny, because it sounds EXACTLY what my conversation with retention supervisors was, only exception that he told me that they have the corporate meeting a week ago and now there is no more free Airaves. He was super nice and personal (like "I should not really tell you that......, If it would be just my decision, I would send you one right away....etc.). Apparently it is a BS because I called few days later and got free Airave and 2 free years of service. Check my older post above.
    You need to talk to Account Services, Alan.

I talked to them yesterday and got my free Airave(and 2 years free) a few hours later from a Sprint store. They will credit back my account, she said.

You need to be a little more discreet and say "is there anything that can be done to boost the signal at my house?" without mentioning the Airave or Precentral or how others are getting it for free. Say you do not want to pay anything if it's gonna cost money, etc.

It helps if your call gets dropped in the middle of the convo. I dont know if you can even fake that cause I'm sure they know when the call is legitimately dropped.
    Thanks for the replies.

(@ranzchic) I honestly really didn't know about the Airave until recently and was discreet with the first couple of people I spoke with. By the end, I was way too pissed off to be discreet anymore, so when I got that last retention rep, I just went straight for the throat, if you know what I mean!

(@cubefx) And although the last guy was nice and friendly, he apparently was not very good at "retention" because I mentioned several times in that call about "canceling my 2 lines" and "leaving Sprint" and "i guess Sprint doesn't need my $130" and stuff like that, and all I got in reply was something to the effect of "good luck with your next provider."

(@ranzchic) I couldn't call from my Pre, I called from my home phone. I even mentioned that I couldn't call from my Pre because the call will get dropped almost immediately!

If the store is open this holiday weekend, I plan to go and try my luck with a person face-to-face. If that doesn't work, then honestly, it was a great 30-day trial with the phone, but they can have their phone back because I am beyond caring!

--
    Alan
    SF, CA
    Last edited by alanr666; 07/03/2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: sentence structure
    Alan, did you try asking them if you could pay for the airave, then have the retention rep credit that same amount to your sprint account? That's what they did for me.
    I've had a Samsung Instinct for the past year. I've been counting the days till July 1st and I could update. I will go DAYS without receiving text message, phone calls or voicemails within my home (I work from home). I will however, get emails. Go figure. Never once, in the multiple times I've been to the local Sprint Store and talking to CS, have they ever once offered me an Airave, or even mentioned it. I didn't even know it excisted until now.

I just ordered a Pre to replace this peace of junk. It should be hear Monday according to tracking (ordered last night). If I have the same problems, I'll call and demand one. This is ridiculous. But thanks for the tips about the Airave! I'm hoping my Pre won't have the problems...but probably will.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieDec04 View Post
    I've had a Samsung Instinct for the past year. I've been counting the days till July 1st and I could update. I will go DAYS without receiving text message, phone calls or voicemails within my home (I work from home). I will however, get emails. Go figure. Never once, in the multiple times I've been to the local Sprint Store and talking to CS, have they ever once offered me an Airave, or even mentioned it. I didn't even know it excisted until now.

I just ordered a Pre to replace this peace of junk. It should be hear Monday according to tracking (ordered last night). If I have the same problems, I'll call and demand one. This is ridiculous. But thanks for the tips about the Airave! I'm hoping my Pre won't have the problems...but probably will.
    If you're noting tips, here's another one for you. Don't "demand" anything that you don't have a right to.
    Should I ask? And then when they don't give it, cancel my line, which I'm completely willing to do?

Do you like that word better?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieDec04 View Post
    Should I ask? And then when they don't give it, cancel my line, which I'm completely willing to do?

Do you like that word better?
    It's totally up to you. Seems as if you've already decided you're going to have a problem, and how you're going to handle it when you do. However, take a look at it from the other side of the issue.

Sprint has no idea what devices you have in your home or office; nor do they know what either are constructed of. For folks that have a problem with reception, they offer a device (which is not free to them, nor is maintaining the functionality of the device free to them) to help overcome that problem.

In some instances, they make the decision that giving the device away without charge (or refunding the charges) is justified. Word gets out. Suddenly, you have people that never knew of the device demanding one for free, in many cases threatening to cancel service if they don't get their way.

Then, one can simply read this forum to see some of the ridiculous absues. Someone admited (publicly, not to Sprint) that they don't even need it. Others have been with Sprint years, and suddenly are threatening to leave if they don't get their "free device". In some instances, they got the device for free, and cancelled their service anyway, and in one notable situation, the user wanted to sell the device he got from Sprint for free!!

I don't blame Sprint for shutting down the offer. Personally, I think they should go out of their way to help where it's justified; however, I don't blame them at all if they're fed up. They're probably reaching a business decision that the number of free devices (and service) they're having to give away doesn't justify the retention of the few people who will actually leave.

That sucks mightily for those that really do need the device. Unfortunately, when people begin behaving like spoiled children who are somehow entitled to something "extra" simply because they pay their bills - you can't be totally surprised when a company decides to crack down.

As I said, you're personally free to do whatever you wish. It really doesn't matter what "word" I "like better". You're the one trying to get something done; but it says a lot that the only "tips" you really seem interested in are those that will get something for you.
    Wow someone admitted getting a free Airave and did not need it. If I did not need the one they sent me I would send it back to Sprint or give it to someone who needed it. If you have a legitimate problem with reception then they should give it to you. Your already paying for the service.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I have had Sprint for 9 years and never had reception issues at my house. With my blackberry's or most recent touch pro... The Pre however jumps from 1 bar to Roaming at my house. I called sprint and told them this isssue. She said she looked my area up and it was a known problem area although I never had an issue before. I had read these forums and suggested the airave and Sprint is sending it to me at no cost and no monthly fee. That was no July 2nd to days ago.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Just got off the phone with account services. I have a spending limit on my account, so I wasn't expecting any miracles. A few weeks ago, I had gone around with them, and VIP support trying to get my reception issues resolved, and I had gone as far as getting my ETFs waived so I could port my numbers to T-Mobile and get myself a G1. Only one person I had spoken to during that whole process had mentioned the Airave, but had not offered me any kind of discount on it. I couldn't justify dropping $100, then $5 a month to fix Sprint's network with my own bandwidth.

So I called today and was immediately transferred over to Beverly in Account Services. Within 5 minutes, she had offered me a half-price Airave with no monthly fee. I happily accepted her offer, and called my local store to see if they had any in stock. They do not. D'oh.
    they send them to you , there basically not in stores I was told. Or atleast the CSR told me most stores do not carry them. you need them to ship the airave to you.
    Just to clarify a few things on the airave first is that the Retentions department can send them to customers with poor service in their homes for free. The policy is that the customer will have to pay for $5.00 a month for the service. The second is that you need to have a hard line high speed internet connection in your home because the airave is VIOP it does not use the cell tower. Three you need to live within 15 miles of a Cell tower or Sprint cannot send you one for 911 call reasons. So if you can get signal in your house I would rather use that since it is 3G and the airave is not. Sprint will be the first to market with a 3G device though. I have not been on a Forum like this before but I wanted to learn tricks for my Pre it is very eye opening since I work in the retention department and I am the one who you are trying to get your airave from. I will be a little more reluctant and not as trusting in people after reading this thread. Too bad
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alanr666 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

(@cubefx) And although the last guy was nice and friendly, he apparently was not very good at "retention" because I mentioned several times in that call about "canceling my 2 lines" and "leaving Sprint" and "i guess Sprint doesn't need my $130" and stuff like that, and all I got in reply was something to the effect of "good luck with your next provider."

--
    Alan
    SF, CA
    Alan, that is exactly my experience. Retention supervisor was nice, but he told me that my account have NO VALUE to the Sprint and wished me luck with the other carrier. (I have 3 phones and 1 data card with over $200/month and have been with Sprint for over 10 years).

Called week later with a questions about cancellation and did not even mention Airave till CS brought it up. Got it few days later.
    Do people not do research anymore when looking into buying things?

I must've seen like 400 different houses/condos when trying to make my first house purchase.

I went to 5 different dealerships before buying my car last year.

Before I moved my cellular service to Sprint (from t-mobile). I was all over the internet thoroughly researching the different issues that people would have with the other services. I asked friends with different services to come by my new place and my work so I could see how their service was.

How is it Sprints fault that you chose a service that had bad reception in your area. Knowing that it's something you could've figured out for yourself before hopping into a contract?

Some of the stories in here are amazing. People saying they've been with sprint for 5, 7 years and whatnot. And in all that time you were having bad service you didn't think to once change?

Incredible the sense of entitlement that's rampant within this thread.

Some sense of responsibility should be shown by a company, but as consumers you aren't showing any either.