Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    I was lucky enough to find a couple of Touchstone chargers today. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. The "soft-touch paint finish" of the back cover was not quite as non-slip as I was expecting after hearing others talk about it, but it's slightly better than the gloss one.

2. I was kind of expecting the cover to be a little thicker, but it's the same size as the stock cover, very slick Palm!

3. The magnets hold the phone very nicely on it and the phone is very easy to put in the correct spot, they even help "center" it.

4. The Touchstone base "suction cup" works extremely well, even sticking to an oak table top with a fair amount of grain/texture and vertically on a painted wall (not recommended).

5. The screen staying on is nice, so you can see notifications. It would be nice if the clock/notifications would rotate when in landscape mode.

6. For the price it should have came with it's own wall charger and cord. That way you could have the provided phone charger at home, and the touchstone at work. Kinda lame Palm.

In just over 30 minutes the charge went from 55% to 81%.
    Mike Dixon
    Software Developer
    I wish I could get mine to work! I just got one and the very first time i put the phone on the TS it looked like it was charging, then I took it off and put it back on- ever since the first time it hasn't worked anymore. Now even after removing battery and powering back up it refuses to see. Yes I have the TS sticky side down, and yes I'm using the wall plug and cable that came with the Pre. I can feel the phone lined up perfectly on the TS, but still no lightning bolt love.

Anyone have an idea?
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    I really don't care for the touchstone. The cover is nice and a must have but can be bought separately. Mine feels much sturdier with it than the stock cover and signal is exactly the same as my RSSI and my EC/IO are unchanged with our without the matte cover.

That said, the touchstone is a POS IMO. It charges about half as slow as a direct connection and I am not convinced the significant amount of extra heat generated by it will not be a detriment in some way as time goes on.

I also do not like the screen staying on, call me old fashioned or whatever but this thing has X amount of life in it and I do not want to accelerate the devices life simpley because Palm thought it was a good idea to always have the stupid screen on when on the touchstone. I expect an option to fix this but regardless its stupid.

So between the significant amount of extra heat vs the USB port charging and the slowness of the charge I can't recommend it to anyone. Especially given how much they cost. Pick up the matte back seperate and skip the touchstone.
    It'd be nice if the idle display could be disabled and rather just keep the display on. For example, I'd like to be able to keep the display on Pandora while it is on the Touchstone so I could freely control the app without having to constantly unlock the device.
    Mine went from 4% to 96% in under an hour.. I love it.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    It works great, and obviously needs to be expanded to include a car charger.
    And how about having a touch-area on the WebOS notebook, when it hopefully comes out, to drop your phone down on to charge?
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
    Originally posted by Aridon:
    I also do not like the screen staying on, call me old fashioned or whatever but this thing has X amount of life in it and I do not want to accelerate the devices life simpley because Palm thought it was a good idea to always have the stupid screen on when on the touchstone. I expect an option to fix this but regardless its stupid.
    That's the one thing I don't like about the Touchstone; but I thought if I researched, I could change the settings and the phone would go blank. I have my Pre next to my bed and I like my room totally dark when I sleep. Additionally, I don't want to wear out the display light so that Pre can show a clock while I'm sleeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by acipollo View Post
    If you ask me, that is not right. I have seen a few times with my pre, that the battery drops from 100% a LOT faster off the touchstone, than if I had it on a regular charger.
    There is no way the battery went from 4% to 96% in less than an hour. It should take hours to do that, even over a normal charger.
    Looks cool but for $70 I'll just stick with my $2.99 USB cable.
    A battery indicator is not linear as far as representing how much charge is left. Think of a vertical asymptote (e.g. y=1/x) rapidly decreasing from zero and gradually leveling out. I believe most indicators behave as such. Recharging I also believe works in a similar fashion.

Based on this behavior it would be typical to see the battery quickly drop from "100%".
    Last edited by maskedferret; 06/17/2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Regarding the screen staying on, I agree in that there needs to be more customization in its behavior; whether it be always on or always off or a sort of middleground.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I really like the touchstone alot, I keep my phone on it all day while at work with wifi turned on. I don't like that it answers the phone if I pick it up when it rings, sometimes I pick up to look who it is. This is a matter of getting used to it and I'm hoping Palm with allow us to change this as well as whether the screen stays on or not.

I do find that it charges a bit slower than just on the cable alone but haven't done any real testing. I like that it is much easer than dealing with the cable and plugging/unplugging all the time. I dont like to be tethered to a cable when I'm talking. I'm thinking of getting another one for home, but the price is just a little more than I like to justify 2 of them.

Becky
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    The touchtone is a great idea, because it takes out the direct connection issue which is not only convenient but safer for your phone. If you plug it into the wall you run the risk, albeit minuscule, of it being damaged if your power surges. I have a friend whose phone was damaged like this. Also, my previous phone's charger input started to give out after year of continual use. So, I see the touchtone as a viable solution to these problems.

Other things I like about the touchtone:
    When on the touchtone the pre displays the time
    in the car it sticks well against the dash to become a mini-gps unit.

The price is kinda insane, but then again it is the first kind.
    I have also experienced quicker charging times with the touchstone. I definitely agree it should have came with its own cable and wall charger...at least the cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by acipollo View Post
    i think it's fast as well, love that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken0311 View Post
    The touchtone is a great idea, because it takes out the direct connection issue which is not only convenient but safer for your phone. If you plug it into the wall you run the risk, albeit minuscule, of it being damaged if your power surges. I have a friend whose phone was damaged like this. Also, my previous phone's charger input started to give out after year of continual use. So, I see the touchtone as a viable solution to these problems.
    I just lost my microwave, garage door opener, sprinkler timer, a couple of network switches, and some light bulbs.

My Pre was plugged in, though, and it survived just fine.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by roams11 View Post
    It works great, and obviously needs to be expanded to include a car charger.
    And how about having a touch-area on the WebOS notebook, when it hopefully comes out, to drop your phone down on to charge?
    Interesting you ask.. its probably already in the works, since a few months ago a Palm rep let it slip:

"...the Touchstone inductive charging dock is just the first product in an entire line of Touchstone wireless products."

Palm Pre Touchstone to be an entire product line, not just a charging dock

of course its not clear if that means "Touchstone" will be Palm's wireless power branding, or if there will be Touchstone products that do more than charge devices.
    Submit your Pre feature requests and vote up the best at http://pre.uservoice.com
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by odditory View Post
    Interesting you ask.. its probably already in the works, since a few months ago a Palm rep let it slip:

"...the Touchstone inductive charging dock is just the first product in an entire line of Touchstone wireless products."

Palm Pre Touchstone to be an entire product line, not just a charging dock

of course its not clear if that means "Touchstone" will be Palm's wireless power branding, or if there will be Touchstone products that do more than charge devices.
    I already use one in my car and it is very convenient especially when using power hogging app's like navigation and pandora; especially at the same time.