1.    #1  
    Hi bought a random wall charger and car charger on Ebay. Car charger works fine, charges and phone acts normally. However when the phone is plugged into the wall charger it goes crazy. It starts opening my contact list and phone, and even makes phone calls. When I touch the screen, it shows the touch being in like 5 places. If I hit the power button however it charges the phone without a problem. I just can't turn the screen on while it is plugged into the charger or all hell breaks lose. the charger states:

input ac 100v-240v 200mA 47-63hz output dc 4.5v-9.5v max 800ma

Just wondering if it is ok to use??? I have stopped using it now and will just buy a new one from sprint if anything, but am still curious about what exactly is happening.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I'm all for finding cheap 3rd party solutions but I would not use that charger. The phenomenon you describe seems to happen when the charger is not supplying enough juice.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Throw that thing away ASAP. The Pre requires the regulated 5V output and can take up to 1000mA. But those cheap chargers float voltage up in the 9V range which will damage you phone. Most chargers that are ok are 5V +- 5% (4.75-5.25V but most actually put out very close to 5V) which is acceptable and you can get one that will flow up to 1000mA without trouble.
    This same exact thing happens with my not-so-cheap and not-so-random VersaChargers from Boxwave. I own 3 of these and have this exact problem despite the output of these chargers being exactly 5v. I also see this problem in different locations whereby it will work fine in my home (no screen craziness) but not in a hotel or in my in-laws' home. It seems to always work fine in a car. I am very disappointed as I like the VersaCharger's flexibility and have had these for my old Treo 650 and my wife's Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by joelvds View Post
    Throw that thing away ASAP. The Pre requires the regulated 5V output and can take up to 1000mA. But those cheap chargers float voltage up in the 9V range which will damage you phone. Most chargers that are ok are 5V +- 5% (4.75-5.25V but most actually put out very close to 5V) which is acceptable and you can get one that will flow up to 1000mA without trouble.
    What he said.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

if you have a wall charger for an Ipod, that works well too