Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I heard it does? So basically if its sitting on your bedstand it looks like your alarm clock? Does the screen stay on? How bright is it?

I may go get the touchstone if this is true. I need a clock/alarm clock on my bedstand that I can see at night......
    Yes, it does stay on.

It's pretty bright, even with the screen turned down all the way. On a nightstand, it's definitely bright enough to see the reflection on the wall and on the ceiling. It might annoy a light sleeper. On the flip side, if you need a nightlight, there you go.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    This seems like a ridiculous design flaw. There should be a way to shut off the screen backlight completely when on the Touchstone.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Yes, it does stay on.

It's pretty bright, even with the screen turned down all the way. On a nightstand, it's definitely bright enough to see the reflection on the wall and on the ceiling. It might annoy a light sleeper. On the flip side, if you need a nightlight, there you go.
    It has the full screen digital alarm clock when it is turned horizontal on the the touchstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwayzRight View Post
    It has the full screen digital alarm clock when it is turned horizontal on the the touchstone?
    By default, it shows the lock screen, with the time at the top in portrait. It does that automatically as soon as you put the Pre on the Touchstone (if it is off).

You could unlock it and open the clock app, rotate to landscape, and it would stay on that (the screen would not shut off). So yes, you can do what you want to do, but it's not the default. Also that would be brighter, since the white area would be larger.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    It displays the lock screen, with the time. The background is all black, though. It does NOT display the clock application.
  7.    #7  
    damn...it would be pretty sweet if it would automatically display the clock app or if you could set it in the settings to display it. It would be a night stand alarm clock ...would love to see someone hack this cause if it did I would be going and getting a touchstone today,
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    Seems I'm in the minority. If there is no way to turn the screen off while it is on the TS that would keep me from purchasing a TS.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    Seems I'm in the minority. If there is no way to turn the screen off while it is on the TS that would keep me from purchasing a TS.
    I'm with you. In the dark the screen is really bright even at the dimmest setting. I've started to rest the Pre pouch on the screen to cut down on the glare. That gets the job done but the option to turn the screen off altogether should be available.
    Yeah....I got this for my bedroom (extra one) and took a nap this evening. Didn't bother me while I was sleep, but I couldn't turn in that direction of the nightstand when I was trying to fall asleep because of the light. I'm one of those people who sleep better in dark rooms. It'll be interesting to see if I can adjust. If I can't I'll use this extra Touchstone in another location of the house, but the bedroom is so preferable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You could unlock it and open the clock app, rotate to landscape, and it would stay on that (the screen would not shut off). So yes, you can do what you want to do, but it's not the default. Also that would be brighter, since the white area would be larger.
    I just got the TS yesterday. If I do what you suggest, after 1 minute (My screen lock setting), the Pre goes back to TS time and lock screen, but remains in vertical orientation. Since I still have it on the TS in landscape, it's sideways.

Also, I'm surprised to find that if I place the Pre on the TS in landscape, with no clock app open, it still doesn't orientate to landscape. Is this normal, or am I having an issue?
    The clock does show for me but it does not seem too bright that it should bother you (of course I don't know your light tolerance while you are in bed). It's a lot dimmer than the digital clock that I also have in my room for an alarm so this isn't much of anything.

If you really want you can try to put something on top of it...maybe a hat ?
    Quote Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
    I just got the TS yesterday. If I do what you suggest, after 1 minute (My screen lock setting), the Pre goes back to TS time and lock screen, but remains in vertical orientation. Since I still have it on the TS in landscape, it's sideways.

Also, I'm surprised to find that if I place the Pre on the TS in landscape, with no clock app open, it still doesn't orientate to landscape. Is this normal, or am I having an issue?
    I also tried to use the pre as a bed clock (with alarm app in landscape) but it always shuts off after x amount of seconds (x being lock timer) there isn't an always on option so I don't think its possible to use clock app as alarm. Unless I'm missing something and would be glad to be wrong
    I would not call the touchstone digital clock readout bright at all. I just did some tests in a dark room. On my light meter it is 10 full stops less light than my Pre wallpaper is at 50% brightness. For the non photographers out there that means that the touchstone digital clock is putting out 10 times less light then the regular screen at 50% brightness. My bedside clock puts out more light in the dim position than my Pre on a touchstone.

I have slept next to mine every night since launch day and my alarm has woken me up 100% of the time.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by uptempo777 View Post
    The clock does show for me but it does not seem too bright that it should bother you (of course I don't know your light tolerance while you are in bed). It's a lot dimmer than the digital clock that I also have in my room for an alarm so this isn't much of anything.

If you really want you can try to put something on top of it...maybe a hat ?
    I just lay the Pre pouch on the face of the device at night when the Pre is in the TS. Cuts out the light and I can just move the pouch to the side if I need to see the time or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I also tried to use the pre as a bed clock (with alarm app in landscape) but it always shuts off after x amount of seconds (x being lock timer) there isn't an always on option so I don't think its possible to use clock app as alarm. Unless I'm missing something and would be glad to be wrong
    It's weird that the clock shuts off for you in landscape mode. Have you tried it in portrait? I use my Touchstone at work, and if I set it down in portrait, the screen stays on in every app I've ever used at work (clock app excluded, unfortunately). I wonder if it's the landscape that makes it shut off. Try it in portrait--the numbers are still pretty big.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    We definitely need options for the Pre while charging on the touchstone. I would suggest three options:
    1. Screen Off (either manually, or after x minutes)
    2. Clock on after x minutes (as current)
    3. Screen remains on WITHOUT lock. (useful for those who want to use the full clock app as their nightclock, or if you just want to see your pandora albums while the Pre sits on the Touchstone at work, etc.

n.b. - if you root your pre you can add a "never" option to when the screen turns off.
    You can use the Touchstone as a bedside clock, there's simply a trick to it.

Place your Pre on the Touchstone, then open up the clock app. Now, without lifting it off the Touchstone and in a quick motion (basically don't break the inductive charge), twist it into landscape.

Bada bing, you got a cool flip-down clock for your nightstand that won't turn off. On the downside it also won't dim for you light sleepers (I can sleep through a bombing raid), the solution is to simply slide down the brightness before you do the aforementioned.

Hope that helps out.
    Quote Originally Posted by 80sCartoon View Post
    You can use the Touchstone as a bedside clock, there's simply a trick to it.

Place your Pre on the Touchstone, then open up the clock app. Now, without lifting it off the Touchstone and in a quick motion (basically don't break the inductive charge), twist it into landscape.

Bada bing, you got a cool flip-down clock for your nightstand that won't turn off. On the downside it also won't dim for you light sleepers (I can sleep through a bombing raid), the solution is to simply slide down the brightness before you do the aforementioned.

Hope that helps out.
    Cool trick! How do you guys find stuff like that? Anyway, I appreciate it.
    Pretty much every trick I've learned with this phone so far has been the marriage of curiosity and trying it out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast