Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    497 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ucsbjd View Post
    Blah, how much less do you really think the resale value is for a phone with minor scratches (if the pre even gets scratches!).

Is handicapping your phone for 2 years worth the $20-$50 you would loose for a blemished phone versus a perfect screen? Plus, factor in the cost of the screen protector...

Heck, might as well put protective screens on all consumer products.
    Time to go find a giant car condom so I can sell that whip sans scratches.

Eh, I guess it's personal preference, but to me, just not worth it.

lol agreed again. Are we using the devices for us or for the person who will own it after us?????

DOWN with screen protectors!!!!
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpanwalking View Post
    How about put protective screens on things you carry around in your pocket but not on things you don't? I didn't think it was very hard to put my invisible shield on and actually found it pretty rewarding based on reading about those that did have difficulties. Before I applied mine, I visited many forums and watched almost every single video on the subject out there. I really like my invisible shield.

I watched the official Zagg YouTube vid for the Pre--any others you recommend watching/found particularly helpful? Application tips?

Thanks!
    I hate screen savers and have not used them for years. The experience with most devices is about 100 times nicer without a screen protector. The Pre with its capacitive screen and its proximity sensor is designed to be used without a screen protector.

My last 2 devices a 700p and 800w never had a screen protector on them and both have zero scratches.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I got two scratches on the screen already, I put on a screen protector yesterday. I have a 3m clear bra on my car, works great!
    Scratches look bad and can affect touch screen response if its a bad scratch. Happened to my 600. They ruin the beauty sometimes but IF you carry in your pocket they are nessasary. Maybe not if you use a holster and never carry in pocket. Pockets have keys, coins etc . I have always had a screen protector.
    If you decide to keep your Pre "naked" and never get it scratched per se.... the screen will get hazy/cloudy due to the constant in/out of storage in your pocket or case. Plastic screens are vulnerable to this no matter how much care you take.

I didnt use a protector on my iPhone(s) because of the glass screen and it looked as good as the day I bought it 1 year later.... ain't gonna happen with the Pre's screen unless you cover it.
    So I've tried a Amzer screen protector - pretty legit but you can still tell there is a screen on it, it is a little more "tacky", and a few residual super small bubbles remain. I peeled that baby off in two days, and have resigned myself to no screen protector.

Face it, no matter what you try to tell yourself, the screen protectors are 1) a pain in the a$$ to put on, 2) Look lame, 3) Take away from the true "feel" of the pre, and 4) make the screen look a little "sunk" into the device...hard to explain.

I'm going with no screen protector, because face it; in two years we're all going to get the latest and greatest webOS device, we're not likely to sell our phones at that time, and is 2 years of dealing with a screen protector really worth it?

Who's with me?

Strip that Pre, let those pre-ties hang out!
    I'm with ya! No major scratches on my TREO 755P after 18 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilofoxtrot View Post
    ain't gonna happen with the Pre's screen unless you cover it.
    And you know this because..??

My 700p and 800w both have plastic screens with no haziness.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    My Bro has the Iphone and he didnt use the protectors and his screen got scratched up bad. All depends on the person and how they carry it, not the phone. The Iphones becasue of the glass screen is easier to scratch but it looks sharper then the PRES plastic (?) screen.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maskedferret View Post
    Loss of smooth tactile feel is the biggest reason I stay away from screen protectors. Much like the adhesive film I recently ripped off my laptop's touchpad, adhesive films feel like I'm wearing a glove when using touch surfaces.

Maybe Trojan will come out with a Super Sensitive Pre Condom that we can just slip over the Pre and still retain that close, intimate feel.
    Ribbed ??
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I had my bse on for 2 days - and it just takes away from the pre - it didn't take away from my instinct....plus it has the orange peel look to it - and for as much as I stare at my phone...that's an issue.
    I already dropped my Pre once, and it scratched pretty badly, but luckily they were on the plastic around the screen, not right on it.

Put on the Invisible Shield and love it... don't think it takes anything away from the Pre screen.

I will say, unfortunately, though... it makes the existing scratches more noticeable.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    If you get a couple fine scratches on the pre, you sell it for $130 rather than $150.
    These numbers are not really very accurate:

- The iPhone 2G is still selling for $250-300 in many cases

- The HTC Touch Pro is selling for $250-300 easy

- The BB Storm is selling for $300 or more in many cases

- I just sold a mint condition ATT Tilt for $173...the Tilt!!! Over 2 yrs old

I think $150 is a pretty low estimate for what a MINT condition Pre will sell for in a year or 2. My Pre will be in MINT condition because I have a full body protector from InvisibleShield. These next generation screen protectors are not the same as those crappy fuzzy looking ones we used to get for the Treo. They are very clear and do not interfere with the use of the screen. The full body protectors also make the device less slippery and greatly reduce the chance of drops. I think.
    Palm Pre
    (formerly TouchPro, iPhone 3G, Curve, 8800, Treo800p, E61, N9300, Treo 700p ,Treo 600, I500, I330, Treo 300, I300, 6035)
    I bought a $3 micro-fiber cleaning cloth today from walgreens. Gave the Pre a swipe and it looks brand new, (I've had it since 6/6). I've been contemplating a screen protector hard for the past week and a half and i've made my decision not to get one. I have a nice soft pouch which the Pre always stays in unless its in my hands. I hardly put it down on tables because I usually have my touchstone with me which serves well as a holder... even if its not always plugged in. And a couple swipes a day with the cloth should keep it looking great.
    Heh, I guess if you do a crap job installing a shield, then sure, I agree, "down with the shields" and all. But if you do a proper job, YOU will get a much better enjoyment of your phone.

I don't really worry about dropping it in my pocket with keys, coins. Neither at work on the drawer (paper clips and all) or even dropping it from my lap.

Maybe I'm a bit strange, but as slippery as the Pre can be, especially once there is some oil from my fingers or my cheek on it, I actually prefer having a skin on it so it doesn't slip out of my hand. Also, the additional grip makes one-handed operation (opening and closing) much easier. Not having to worry about scratches and scrapes reduces my stress level a bit too. All in all, well worth it - especially if you got BSE's for $5.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andries View Post
    I had my bse on for 2 days - and it just takes away from the pre - it didn't take away from my instinct....plus it has the orange peel look to it - and for as much as I stare at my phone...that's an issue.
    This is exactly the info I was looking for... I just got my Pre two weeks ago, and received my BSE in the mail two days ago. I have a BSE on my Creative Zen mp3 player, and I'm very happy with it. But the Zen doesn't have a touchscreen, and it took me a while to accept the look of the skin.

I've mostly kept my Pre in my pocket and I'm not seeing any micro-abrasions yet. I love the feel of the naked touchscreen and the idea of adding friction to that experience doesn't fill me with glee, so I think I'm going to keep it skinless for the time being and see how it goes. If I start seeing any signs of wear whatsoever, the skin goes on. I can always take it off.

Ron Moses
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Hmmm... I'm rethinking my decision not to skin the Pre. I have a couple of small blemishes on the screen after a few weeks, which isn't that bad, but I've been handling it far more gingerly than I would like to in the long term. I'd prefer to be able to put it in my bag along with a dozen other things and not worry about it. So the BSE is going on this weekend, I think. If I hate it, hopefully I won't have too much trouble removing it.

Ron Moses
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    Had a Skinomi and while it looked ok, it made the screen "rough" to slide against.. I'd buy another screen protector if I new it was more slippery than the Skinomi.. Also, it'd be nice if it was thinner.

Anyone got any recommendations?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast