1.    #1  
    For those that are interested in getting some extra usb cable for the Pre, or who have broken or lost the usb cable that came with the Pre; you can purchase them from J&R Music World (it usually just called J&R).

It's located near City Hall in Manhattan but they do have a website (JandR.com).

PALM 3403WW Micro USB Cable for Treo Pro and Treo 800W in Cell Phone Batteries and Power Supplies at JR.com

Although it does not say for the Pre, these are the original Pre cables.

I purchased two. I did test them out. They work perfectly with the Touchstone and also from the PC to the Pre.

I know some people had trouble getting the usb cables from other manufactures but these are the real deal.

And for $12.99 that's not too bad a price for an OEM item.

Hope this info helps others!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Hmm... I got cables from monoprice.com and they work perfectly. They were a fraction of that price. I also got a couple of these: (nevermind, can't post links yet -- less than 10 posts. Just look for product ID 3523 on monoprice) to use as car chargers for my pre (they output 5v @ 1000mA). They work like a charm. My entire order of four cables, four chargers and shipping was less than the OEM cable.

To each his own, but this worked for me.
    Yikes. Why would I want to spend 6 times more at J&R than at monoprice.com (I'm not exaggerating; monoprice.com is that cheap)? I just got a bunch of micro-usb cables and chargers from them today and they all work perfectly.
  4. faz
    I got USB Data Transfer PC Sync Cable For Sprint Palm Pre from ebay $3.99 free Shipping
    Works 100% Perfect
    USB Data Transfer PC Sync Cable For Sprint Palm Pre - eBay (item 220421871913 end time Jun-15-09 11:43:21 PDT)
  5.    #5  
    I should point out that I posted this information because in some other threads, people were asking for 'original' Palm cables not knock offs.

So being that these are Palm's own stuff and yes they come in a nice white box with the Palm logo on it the price is pretty good.

Of course, third party cable can be had for a lot cheaper.

I decided to waste my money, because a few people wrote about having bad experiences with some third party stuff that they got forthe Pre and for a few extra dollars I wasn't willing to take a chance this time around.

Like I said this is for those that want the OEM cables, not knock offs.

Rob

PS I hope that we can say I wasted my money by purchasing Palm's original stuff for all those that decided to take the chance. I'm usually in your group!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    What about an actual wallet charger?
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    thanks for the tip - got 2 1.5' cords, 2 3' cords and 2 car charger adapters for a total of < $12.00 with shipping!
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    I should point out that I posted this information because in some other threads, people were asking for 'original' Palm cables not knock offs.

So being that these are Palm's own stuff and yes they come in a nice white box with the Palm logo on it the price is pretty good.

Of course, third party cable can be had for a lot cheaper.

I decided to waste my money, because a few people wrote about having bad experiences with some third party stuff that they got forthe Pre and for a few extra dollars I wasn't willing to take a chance this time around.

Like I said this is for those that want the OEM cables, not knock offs.

Rob

PS I hope that we can say I wasted my money by purchasing Palm's original stuff for all those that decided to take the chance. I'm usually in your group!

No good deed goes unpunished. The monoprice stuff seems to work fine until the Touchstone enters in the equation. Some of us want cables that work seamlessly with the Touchstone. So far, no one has posted ANY 3rd party cables (not the whole charger) that works well with the TOUCHSTONE.

Thanks for your post.
    Something also of note is that on ebay, you can apparently get the OEM Pre charger for dirt cheap:

Palm PRE Smart Phone AC Wall Adapter Charger NEW & OEM - eBay (item 310149585445 end time Jul-18-09 06:14:33 PDT)

He actually increased the price just a little since last night, but I got two last night for $6.99 each, which is ridiculous. Even still, at $12.99 each like it is now, it's a steal.

(Of course, I haven't received them yet, so we'll see what happens in a few days, but it seems good to me.)

I assume that doesn't come with the cable though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Something also of note is that on ebay, you can apparently get the OEM Pre charger for dirt cheap:

Palm PRE Smart Phone AC Wall Adapter Charger NEW & OEM - eBay (item 310149585445 end time Jul-18-09 06:14:33 PDT)

He actually increased the price just a little since last night, but I got two last night for $6.99 each, which is ridiculous. Even still, at $12.99 each like it is now, it's a steal.

(Of course, I haven't received them yet, so we'll see what happens in a few days, but it seems good to me.)

I assume that doesn't come with the cable though.
    You could have ordered the cable and charger at $19.99. I think I am going to...seems like a deal.

Palm PRE AC Wall Adapter Charger & USB Cable NEW & OEM - eBay (item 310150629463 end time Jul-22-09 11:11:41 PDT)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetaman View Post
    You could have ordered the cable and charger at $19.99. I think I am going to...seems like a deal.

Palm PRE AC Wall Adapter Charger & USB Cable NEW & OEM - eBay (item 310150629463 end time Jul-22-09 11:11:41 PDT)
    Well, I've got the Monoprice cables anyway (and a cable is a cable) so for like $20 I got 2 AC adapters and 4 cables.

As for the Monoprice cables working or not working in the Touchstone, a cable is a cable as far as I'm concerned. The only issue is the size of the connector at the end to fit into the end of the Touchstone, which is easily remedied with a knife or pair of scissors (though might've been easier to sand down).

I would never personally use a non-Palm AC adapter after the issues I've read about, but definitely have no qualms about other cables since they all can pass along electrons just as well.

But, I fully understand that some people want the Palm ones, and this is a good price for them.
    I see some value in most of the info here...so thanks to all.

I bought three seidio chargers some time ago for my three Pres. The chargers were inexpensive and, unlike many other micro USB chargers, rated at the Pre's power requirements. They also work great. That said, the cords are insanely thin...and I fear that they will not last very long.

Some time ago I also bought a number of monoprice micro USB cables. Their prices are insanely low (around $1 each), and they work just fine with the Pre. They are also fairly beefy.

That said, neither work with the Touchstone...at least without modification, so less expensive Plam OEM cables *are* a nice find...at least for some folks. Also, the Palm-branded cables have a nice emblem that you can find easily with your thumb so that you know which way is "up"...which my wife and daughter find helpful. That way, you don't have to stare closely at the cable end trying to find which side has the imprinted USB icon.

The Palm-branded charger is also very nice. It doesn't look like it comes with a cable, but you can use a $1.00 monoprice USB cable and connect a charger to your Pre that you know delivers the rated power...and trickles appropriately. So nice in fact, that I just bought two.

So, all-in-all, thanks to everyone here. It's *all* good info.

cheers,
    Steve
    (accessory hound)
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Um yeah. For like seven dollars and change I got three cables AND a 1000mA wall charger from monoprice.com. So there's now a cable on my desktop, one in my laptop bag and another in my car. The original is plugged in near my bedside table.

I really don't believe in paying more for a muffler than I have to. And before you say anything, these are pretty high quality cables here.