Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I definitely want to protect my Pre screen but I definitely don't want to fiddle around with messy solutions or have to wait 48 hours for bubbles to "work themselves out." Something simple, like a more discreet version of the plastic screen cover that came on the Pre to begin with will do just fine. So far this is the only one I have found. The website offers a pack of 6 screen protectors for $8.95. Does anyone know anything about these, or any other similar "solution-free" products? I would love to hear any opinions before I order. Thanks!

(I have included the picture from the website to give you an idea of what it will look like)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    well, I sure wish I had waited a bit, hah. I just purchased the smartphone experts screen protector. From what I gather, it's not a 'wet' screen protector. but it's definately a lot more expensive than the amzer ones.
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    I just got the universal screen protectors from Radio Shack and while they do the job of protecting the dam air bubbles are impossible to squeegy out in the corners (only really notice it when the screen is off so its not bad) and they come in a pack of 6 as well, cut to size ...

I am looking for more of a case at this point, more than a leather holster which i also use, but something with alittle more protection since i had my first tossed pre the other day (luckily it went onto a grassy area)
    R.I.P Palm Centro (6.5.09)
    New Pre Owner (6.6.09)

I don't know about you but I like the solution option. This way I can still rearange the protector until it is perfect and they will always stay on for years. My last phone had it on for 1 1/2 years with the same one. I use clear-coat.com because the protector is high quality (made with same material that US airforce uses to protect helicopter blades) and it doesn't scratch. It doesn't get rid of the glare but does reduce it. You can get a good review of it HERE.
    Quote Originally Posted by pomokey View Post
    well, I sure wish I had waited a bit, hah. I just purchased the smartphone experts screen protector. From what I gather, it's not a 'wet' screen protector. but it's definately a lot more expensive than the amzer ones.
    Post back when you get them. I e-mailed the PreCentral store to ask if these were in fact "dry" and they haven't responded yet.
    Also post back on how well the anti-glare is. It appears to have more protection of the sides and corners than the Amzer one.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodWulf View Post
    Post back when you get them. I e-mailed the PreCentral store to ask if these were in fact "dry" and they haven't responded yet.
    I cant find any reviews on the SmartPhone Experts screen protector for the Pre that the PreCentral Store offers anywhere online... however, I did manage to come across a review for the SPE screen protector for the iphone. I'm assuming they're the exact same thing (besides the shape) and they also come as a 3-pack, as do the kits in the PC.net store. Take what you will from this.

...OK so I just tried to paste the link but it won't let me post cuz I dont have 10 total posts yet... so i'll brb with the link once i post 5 more times... just a minute
  8.    #8  
    2 more posts to go! I'm going to use one up here... While looking for a thread to post on I came across this guy's post about the Amzer screen protectors...

"So I've tried a Amzer screen protector - pretty legit but you can still tell there is a screen on it, it is a little more "tacky", and a few residual super small bubbles remain. I peeled that baby off in two days, and have resigned myself to no screen protector.

Face it, no matter what you try to tell yourself, the screen protectors are 1) a pain in the a$$ to put on, 2) Look lame, 3) Take away from the true "feel" of the pre, and 4) make the screen look a little "sunk" into the device...hard to explain.

I'm going with no screen protector, because face it; in two years we're all going to get the latest and greatest webOS device, we're not likely to sell our phones at that time, and is 2 years of dealing with a screen protector really worth it?

Who's with me?

Strip that Pre, let those pre-ties hang out!"
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    haha, you can post the link if you put spaces, or you could summarize the review for us :P

bascially, is it a wet protector? is it a good protector?
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
  10.    #10  
    haha, you can post the link if you put spaces, or you could summarize the review for us :P

bascially, is it a wet protector? is it a good protector?
    I tried that. Nothing would work, I tried spaces, took out the www and the "." Nothing. Anyway I'm done posting, here's the link.

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/01...ack-iphone-3g/

Looks dry to me?
    Yeah, those appear to be just peel and stick. Thanks.
    I tried to put the Amzer on. Yes it is just peel and stick. It went on ok, but like the other review, it was a little tacky. Swiping on the screen was harder. I didn't feel smooth. I waited a day before taking off. The bubbles, at least for me, didn't all come out. I decided to take it off and order the Screen protectors from Pre Central. I am very hesitant to use the water solution ones. I had thought about going over to Best Buy and get the Invisible Shield installed for 7 bucks. But it sounds like IS might cause a problem if you put it on wrong and take it off. I am probably going to try the ones from PreCentral that are just peel and stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    "So I've tried a Amzer screen protector - pretty legit but you can still tell there is a screen on it,
    I asked this in another thread but since you actually have one I'll ask you. The photos on the website and in the first post in this thread sort of looks like the microphone hole is covered, is that true or is there a U-shaped cutout?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    I asked this in another thread but since you actually have one I'll ask you. The photos on the website and in the first post in this thread sort of looks like the microphone hole is covered, is that true or is there a U-shaped cutout?
    Chimmer: Sorry for the confusion but I don't own either of these screen protectors. I started this thread to find out if anyone else had any opinions on the Amzer ones. The quote you referenced from my post came from member 'ucsbjd' in another thread. I also just found this quote from member 'preman'
    "DONT buy the fommy, they do NOT fit right, WAY OFF. They are in 1 word, junk!"
    (fommy is in reference to the Amzer sp's)

Maybe that says something about the screen covering up the mic hole, not sure.

Tonight I went to Walgreens and bought a $3 micro-fiber cleaning cloth, used primarily for glasses and camera lens'. After one swipe of the Pre, it looks brand new, (I've had it since day 1). I think if you take good care of your phone, keep it in a soft pouch or case when its not in your hands, swipe it a couple of times a day with this cloth, it should stay looking great. Also, I bring my touchstone around with me so I can prop up my phone when I'm sitting down so I never have to put it down on a table or anything. The only thing I would be afraid of is dropping it on the ground, and if that happens, I don't think a screen protector is going to help much.
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    Chimmer: Sorry for the confusion but I don't own either of these screen protectors.
    My bad...I read the post without realizing you were quoting someone else.

I have a Zagg on order but after reading issues where people have after putting them on, I'm a little hesitant to use ones that need liquid to apply.

I ordered some of the "static" ones from Seido but they are on backorder so I guess I'll just have to wait it out.
    I purchased a pack of 6 Amzer screen protectors... Not bad to apply but like other posters mentiond... it has a tacky feel so IMO it decreases the usability of the phone (swipes not smooth and makes the Pre look cheap after applying)
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I installed the Amzer SP on Saturday. It is tacky, i.e. does not allow for a 'smooth' gesture. Still works OK, just not the slick feel of the original screen. Definitely less finger prints appear. The Anti-glare does help quite a lot, still no problem with screen clarity.

It goes on dry and there are a few 'micro' air bubbles still present 5 days later.

It doesn't seem to be perfectly sized. The cutout for the speaker is perfectly aligned, but the hole for the Center button is off center a bit. There is a u-shaped cutout for the microphone and it is aligned. Maybe it should have been stretched a little during application.

Pro's: Less finger prints, anti-glare, good scratch protection of the screen, easy to install, the 'extra' grip makes it easier to open the keyboard.

Con's: Gesture 'feel', micro air bubbles still present. a few nicks appear on the protector during squeegee installation, just doesn't look as good as a naked Pre.

I'm tempted to pull it off(I have 5 more), but for me the pro's out way the cons at this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tigagreen; 06/18/2009 at 08:47 AM.
    Thanks for the pics and comments. It doesn't look as clean as the InvisibleShield-like skins. Plus the stickiness is a turn off too. Sounds like I'll go with one of the skins instead.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
  19.    #19  
    Tigagreen: Thanks for the pics, extremely helpful.

Chimmer: If you remember, could you post back when the Seidio SP arrives... They look promising.

Thanks
    I see that from the pics that the holes are off but in this youtube video they appear to be fine, maybe you got a bad batch. Did you contact fommy about it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast