Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Depends on how close you have the Pre to the S9s. In the front pocket and moving around allot, you will experience drop-outs. In the shirt pocket, no problem.
    @MilenkoD @dbett, thanks for the info. that's good to know... i guess that pretty much rules out the S9s for me then, since i rarely carry my phone that way. it seems like the selection of wireless stereo music/phone headsets are pretty slim picking at this point huh? i've done pretty extensive searches and all i can come up with so far are a handful of choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    @MilenkoD @dbett, thanks for the info. that's good to know... i guess that pretty much rules out the S9s for me then, since i rarely carry my phone that way. it seems like the selection of wireless stereo music/phone headsets are pretty slim picking at this point huh? i've done pretty extensive searches and all i can come up with so far are a handful of choices.
    again, depends on what you will mostly be doing. When I'm at. The gym, I rarely have issues as I'm resting my Pre on the treadmill/eliptical control panel in front of me. While mowing the lawn however, I have to put it in my back pocket otherwise I'll get poor connectivity.

Also, if you're thinking about the Altec Backbeats, I understand from other threads and posts that they are even worse..and that's from Pre and BlackBerry owners.
    I think Plantonics makes a BT headset that converts into headphones via a second earpiece that plugs into the 'master' headset. People report good results with that one.
    yea. the Altec Backbeats 906 was my other choice, but i'm not feeling the love for that one either. i'm beginning to think that the technology is just too immature at this point to find anything decent... maybe i should just stick to my wired palm-issued headphones lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolesnce View Post
    Hi Everyone I just picked up a pair of s9 HD and When I paried it with the Pre I only get sound from one side. The left ear. Is this how its suppose to be?

When talking on the phone yes. Music no.
    I picked up an S9-HD, and am not very happy with it. Although the bass is pretty good, it has to be positioned just right, and with that, the headphones are uncomfortable. On top of that, you can't wear glasses/sunglasses (easily) with the S9.

But the worse thing for me was the Bluetooth reception. Indoors, it works fine, but once I step outside - stutter-city. If I have the Pre in my pocket, the sound will stutter, especially if I start walking. I have to hold the Pre to my chest to get smooth sound. My other stereo bluetooth headset (wiRevo HSH200) doesn't have that problem. I also tried the S9-HD on my Treo 800w and had the same issue of loss of signal when outside and moving.

Anyone else have this issue or do I have a bad headset?
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    I picked up an S9-HD, and am not very happy with it. Although the bass is pretty good, it has to be positioned just right, and with that, the headphones are uncomfortable. On top of that, you can't wear glasses/sunglasses (easily) with the S9.

But the worse thing for me was the Bluetooth reception. Indoors, it works fine, but once I step outside - stutter-city. If I have the Pre in my pocket, the sound will stutter, especially if I start walking. I have to hold the Pre to my chest to get smooth sound. My other stereo bluetooth headset (wiRevo HSH200) doesn't have that problem. I also tried the S9-HD on my Treo 800w and had the same issue of loss of signal when outside and moving.

Anyone else have this issue or do I have a bad headset?
    Hey dude...did you not read through the three pages of posts? Yes, it's a common issue.

I found that the largest earbuds would make wearing sunglasses a bit easier.

I had good luck with my HTC Touch, but my BlackBerry Curve, Pre and iPod Touch (w/ Motorola or Sony BT adapters) all suffer from drop-out. Placing the device in my shirt pocket or back pocket of my pants helped allot.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Hey dude...did you not read through the three pages of posts? Yes, it's a common issue.

I found that the largest earbuds would make wearing sunglasses a bit easier.

I had good luck with my HTC Touch, but my BlackBerry Curve, Pre and iPod Touch (w/ Motorola or Sony BT adapters) all suffer from drop-out. Placing the device in my shirt pocket or back pocket of my pants helped allot.
    Are you referring to the dropout in signal? Most of the complaints were about sweat messing up the headsets, whereas my problem was just being outside and walking with them (not even breaking a sweat.)
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    Are you referring to the dropout in signal? Most of the complaints were about sweat messing up the headsets, whereas my problem was just being outside and walking with them (not even breaking a sweat.)
    Whoops...my bad. There is another related thread about the signal drop-outs, that's the one I thought I was in. It is mentioned in the 2nd page and a string of responses.

Nonetheless, In that other thread (I thought I was responding to) your very same/exact issue it described. There does not seem to be a solution other than holding your device as close to the S9's as possible. The problem is compounded by the fact that the S9's BT antenna/receiver is in the back of the headphones and most of us hold our devices in front of us. Pocketing your device worsens the dropouts. I have found that putting the device in my back pocket helps allot, but doesn't solve it. I think it's a Motorola thing, not the Pre as I have the same results from two other BT devices as well.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    When I power on my S9-HD's, it will often redial the last number. Real annoying, does this happen to anybody else?
    Myself and three friends all use the S9s with our Pres. They sound good for a wireless headset. Only problem is after updating to WebOS 1.2.0 none of us can get the S9s to pair with the Pre anymore. However all of our other bluetooth devices have no problem pairing and working with the Pre after upgrading to 1.2.0. I've tried deleting the device in the Bluetooth app and re-installing/pairing and that hasn't worked. I've also tried resetting the Pre. The bluetooth indicator in the system tray indicates the headset is paired once second but not paired the the next second. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Since my other bluetooth devices and headsets still work fine after WebOS 1.2.0 and the S9s still pair flawlessly with my iPod Touch I am assuming this is a 1.2.0 bug issue vs. a defective headset or defective Pre.
    I have the s9 HD and after the update it would only receive bluetooth calls on the phone. it would not let me listen to music. I deleted the device from the phone, pulled the battery from the phone and then paired the headset again. it now works perfectly fine.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Same issue here. Never had any problems with my Pre & S9's but after 1.2 (as well as 1.2.1) I continually lose pairing.

Actually, the device pairs but as soon as I play music the bluetooth connects / disconnects over and over.

The only way I can get it to respond is to delete the pairing, re-pair, then make a phone call (like to voicemail.) Immediately after hanging up, fire up the music player. Then it works.

Go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    When I power on my S9-HD's, it will often redial the last number. Real annoying, does this happen to anybody else?
    I had that same exact issue with my S9-HDs. I have no idea what caused it but it only happened once. I solved it by turning off the headset then un-pairing it from my Pre. I rebooted my Pre and re-paired the S9s and it hasn't occurred again.
    I have a set of S9-HD headset and I have to say I thought the sound quality was fantastic until I was able to use my SonyEricsson HBH-DS980.

The S9-HD is a great headset with great sound quality and in my opinion much richer sounding and with more dynamic range than the original S9. The build quality is superb, this thing is built like a tank and can take a good amount of abuse and moisture. I also like the placement of the controls on the headset. It charges quickly and can hold a charge for a days under normal use. Hands down it is the best workout bluetooth stereo headset on the market.

It does have some short comings however, like not being able to see the caller or where sunglasses comfortably while they are being used. Also, with the position of the mic where it is, people on the other end always have a hard time hearing me, this is also due to the fact that the mic does not do a great job at processing out background noise. Connection wise, it does lose it's connection very easily with the Pre as a strong connection is dependent on it's position to the the device doing the streaming. This is the S9-HD biggest downfall, it is just not powerful enough to hold a signal at a reasonable distance and when you throw in outside interferences it fails. Indoors and within close proximity to the Pre outdoors it works well.

Now, I do not regret purchasing the S9-HD as I use it for working out now, but for everyday use, I use the SonyEricsson HBH-DS980. This headset is far superior to the S9-HD and I so happy that Palm updated their bluetooth stack durung the last update.

This headset is a bit more pricey but they are worth it. They are lanyard style with integrated headphones in inline mic with the bluetooth receiver hanging at the end of the lanyard. This setup allows for a far more comfortable wearing experience, also you can wear sunglasses with these as they do not obstruct one's ears.

The sound quality on these are far superior than the S9-HD and the noise isolating design of the headphones does a fantastic job of keeping out background noise. Call quality is superb due to excellent sound and voice processing and placement of the mic on the line as it is right next to one's mouth.

What I really like about this headset in the OLED display that shows the incoming caller. It supports a wide range of bluetooth audio profiles, such as showing track names but the Pre doesn't support this with this headset at the moment.

One very cool feature of the HBH-DS980 is it's ability to access your contacts and call history right from the headset itself, no need to pull out your phone to look for a specific number or check your call history.

Battery life is on par with the S9-HD going days on a charge with normal to moderate use. If they were great for working out this would of been my only set of stereo bluetooth headset, but they are not and this is the only area where the S9-HD has it beat.

So to wrap up, if you are looking for a great set of everyday stereo bluetooth headset I would invest in the HBH-DS980 but if you are a gym rat or athletic junkie I would go for the S9-HD, either way you really can't go wrong as it is all based on your personal preference.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dictomail View Post
    I have an S9 and it paired instanly. It works fine, but it sounds "distant" both to me and my callers. That distant sound is a but irritating when I'm listening to business podcasts and I need crisp bass-rich sounds. On the otherhand, I'm very mobile and any other headset design falls off my head. I need something to grab my head so I can move freely without having to worry about my headset falling. The S9 fills the form-factor design requirement perfectly for me. But the sound quality is a different matter. The Pre also works with my Motorala H5, but the H5 does not support stereo music profile, so I don't use it much. I'm looking for some very high-quality headsets. Is the S9 the answer, or should I consider the Nokia BH-503, Nokia BH-905, or Altec Lansing BackBeat 903. Is the S9 really in the same league?

The bh-905 rocks in comparison. I started a quick review here - http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-bh-905-a.html - feel free to ask me about it (I own both.)
    -mark
    I have both the s9's and then I upgraded to the s9-HD's... both pairs are great, the audio and build quality of the HD set is superior and well worth it. However, I have not had the sweat issue people are talking about here... and I wore the regular s9's to the gym dozens and dozens of times... as a matter of fact, one night around 2am I wanted to get in my hottub and listen to music, but it was so late I didn't want to turn my speakers out there on and bother the neighbors... since I had the HD's, I decided to try the regular s9's, figuring it would ruin them. To my surprise, not only did they work through and survive the event, I've worn them in the hottub a couple of other times. They still work fine and I never had any issues... maybe I happened to get a pair that was sealed better than other people's experience?

In any case, I highly recommend these, especially the HD set.
    i have s9 regular, it malfunction since i went hiking with it hanging on my neck, obviously the damage cause by sweating. and it stuttered no matter it was on my front or back pocket, good music quality but bad signal quality, and i have an earlier bt headset model HT-820 which made by the same company, it has the same problem(bad signal quality), i will never buy a Moto bt headset again.
    Quote Originally Posted by zhzyg View Post
    i have s9 regular, it malfunction since i went hiking with it hanging on my neck, obviously the damage cause by sweating. and it stuttered no matter it was on my front or back pocket, good music quality but bad signal quality, and i have an earlier bt headset model HT-820 which made by the same company, it has the same problem(bad signal quality), i will never buy a Moto bt headset again.
    I have both of those you mentioned and the S9 HD's (that I returned) All suffered from the same crapy signal issue. However. I think that the phone may be partly at fault as well. I have the same crappy signal quality with my BlackBerry Curve and Palm Pre but my HTC Touch seems to be bulletproof.
    I've used the regular S9's since the month they came out. Had some pairing issues with the Palm Treo 700/SAG combo, but they work fine (mostly) with my pre. My observations:
    1. No sweat issues for over a year. These were worn a few times a week working out, running, and in the hot subway, and on train rides. I even lost the rubber flap covering the USB port, and they still worked fine for months.
    2. The FFWD button recently broke. That may be more use than sweat, I'm not sure. But skipping songs was a big deal, so I may splurge for the HD version.
    3. They are rugged. When I wasn't wearing them, I had them in my coat pocket or bag, and lugged them daily through my commute - walking, train, subway (4/5/6, so crowded and hot). They did a great job withstanding the abuse.
    4. I also wear glasses, and there was some discomfort. I have a huge head, so that may also be part of the problem ;-> But I was able to wear glasses, and the headset, and run, just mild extra pressure.
    5. The sound quality of the regular S9's wasn't great, but better than cheap wired headsets.
    6. Range-wise, indoors, I was able to go far from them indoors, and still get a great signal. In fact, I once left them in a treadmill, worked out in the room next door, then suddenly realized I had no phone. I must have been at least 30 feet away, with a wall in between.
    7. Outdoors, range is a big issue. If they are in my pants pocket, and the wind blows?!, I get a lag or stutter. If they are in my shirt or chest pocket, they seem to work better? I have no idea how wind can impact bluetooth, but it seems that it does.

But as far as wired headsets/Palm go, DON'T DO IT! The Treo audio jacks were horrible, and broke within months of mild use (went through several Treo's this way, and repaired a few too). The Pre's are probably better off since the jack is on top, and the adaptor isn't a 90 degree angle, but I would still be very careful about heavy use of a headset and the Pre.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by zhzyg View Post
    My HT820's had range issues with my Treo 700p in any pocket, but the Pre has been flawless with them... They've been awesome for jogging and I'm finally not regretting having bought them.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123