View Poll Results: Which Shield for You

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zagg Invisible Shield

    83 69.75%
  • Body Armor

    11 9.24%
  • Ghost Shield

    7 5.88%
  • .... I like scratched up phones.

    18 15.13%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71
  1.    #1  
    I have installed various shields on over 30 different devices, and have gotten pretty good at it. The Pre was actually easier for me than most, but I understand that many are having issues. Feel free to ask any questions that you have from purchases to installation to upkeep.
  2.    #2  
    Do you ever feel like you set up a sand store in the Sahara? I know when I am not wanted...
  3. 72guy's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    #3  
    Lay it on us. We're listening
  4. #4  
    they all sucks, not perfect fit, it sticks out on the edge and when u slide up it sticks out even more
  5. Spazo's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    #5  
    your thoughts and comments are welcomed and encouraged here... just in the appropriate thread
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 72guy View Post
    Lay it on us. We're listening
    Yay.

    Alright. Buying a shield from any of the different companies is not about quality of materials as long as you are talking about the millitary grade material that coats chopper blades. So really, purchases all come down to three things: cost, ease of install, and coverage.

    1. Cost-

    Zagg Invisible Shields and Ghost Armor are the most pricey of the major providers out there. Usually, the price is 24.99 for the shield and install is 10 bucks.

    You can buy the Zagg shields at Best Buy, but they are hard to come by. Best Buy also provides installation at 8 bucks, but you may get someone that is not entirely familiar with installation. It is best to go to one of the Shield Zone locations as they are most adept at not messing up the install.

    ZAGG | Reseller List

    As for Ghost Armor, you are on your own with install unless you live in Arizona or Washington. However, Ghost Armor is easier to install on the Pre.

    Phantom Skinz also gives you two shileds, and free shipping. Not too shabby. They also have a lifetime guarntee.

    I will post later on the install methods most likely to ensure that if you install your Shield, it won't suck.

    Gho
    Last edited by pogeypre; 06/18/2009 at 03:56 PM.
  7.    #7  
    2 - Install

    First with Zagg's Pre Shield

    Normally, I have found Zagg's shields a cut above others, but with the Pre they are lacking. It reminds me of the first shield I got for my IPOD 4g Video. While I generally have no problems with install, it just doesn't cover right. I will cover "coverage" later.

    Anyway, a couple of steps that need to be followed very closely with Zagg installs.

    1. Wash your hands - removing excess hand grease will speed things up greatly.

    2. Clean your phones screen - Do not use any abrasive cleaners, and absolutely do not use your shirt, hand towel, or paper towels. You can buy a terry cloth at Walmart for 2 bucks. Well worth it. Use water only to clean.

    3. Spray your hands with the solution provided, and then peel the shield. This will allow you to keep finger prints off. Avoid touching the corners if possible as this will help later with attachment.

    4. Spray the Shield liberally and spray the device lightly. You are basically wanting to provide some wiggle room in case you don't line things up perfectly the first time.

    5. Lining the shield up is a bit of a beast, so it helps to be fully rested and in a good mood. With the Pre in particular, it is best to line up the biggest holes first. This means the microphone hold last. Line up the speaker and slide your finger down the middle until you get to the Pre's button. Line that up and life is good because most other features will then line up with out much issue.

    6. Leave the sides and corners alone. We will get to those later.

    7. Squeegee the excess fluid away from major entrances into the phone, as liquid of any kind is bad for electronics. Be careful to not push to hard. Very little pressure is needed to get rid of the fluid. Also, if you apply pressure side to side and not so much downward pressure, all the better.

    8. Once you have removed bubbles to your liking, put your phone screen side up in front of a fan for about 30 minutes. This will allow the shield to set and will make the sides easier.

    9. The corners are the toughest part, and you want to spray your fingers before touching them. You need to fold them over, and tap them in place. On the Pre, there is a tendency to tap them down over the slider. Be careful, or when you open your phone, you will undo everything.

    Ghost Armor is the same, minus step 9. Corners are not nearly as bad. Tapping, rather than stretching is the preffered application method.


    Tips Regarding Solution:

    If you need more solution, the best bet is to request a second bottle of solution. The bottles used to be twice the size, but to cut down on costs they went to the smaller size. It is definitely possible to do the whole thing with one bottle, but since we are not perfect, it would be wise to make such a request. If you have already purchased your Shield, you can also try this tip from member Carioca FL:

    Since you'll need quite a bit of solution to keep your fingers wet as well as the shield itself, you can easily triple the available solution: simply empty the bottle into a container and refill the bottle again with water, twice.

    This tip was given by IS support; they claim you don't need a whole lot of solution (it's neutral detergent) but you do need a lot of liquid to get a proper install done.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 06/19/2009 at 09:17 AM.
  8.    #8  
    3. Coverage

    Having installed a great many Shields, I can say that 90% of the time or so the Zagg shields cover the best. The Pre Shield on the other hand is not so great. It covers the screen completely, but leaves the corners a little under protected. The Ghost Armor actually does a better job, but Zagg's multiple locations and lifetime replacement guarantees push it over the top.
  9. #9  
    What happens if you ever want to remove one of these covers?
  10.    #10  
    Best Skins Ever

    I have only installed one of the Best Skins Ever brand, and only did so because I got it for free. I found it to be a fairly decent shield, but it is a little thicker than the others. This leaves it more prone to pealing off. Also, if you scratch or otherwise ruin your shield, you pay 7.99 (original price) to get a new one.

    Bottom line, a good shield at a good price, but their are better ones out there.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    What happens if you ever want to remove one of these covers?
    It is fairly easy to remove, but in the case of the Pre, you may want to be carefull. Most people who remove the shield from their devices they hold it from the bottom. In this situation, I think it is the people holding onto the slider part that are getting dead pixels. Remove the shield slowly and grip it from the top where possible.

    Just to let you know, though, I have never had a device break by taking of the shield. Just like anything, it's sometimes more a finess game than a strength one.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    It is fairly easy to remove, but in the case of the Pre, you may want to be carefull. Most people who remove the shield from their devices they hold it from the bottom. In this situation, I think it is the people holding onto the slider part that are getting dead pixels. Remove the shield slowly and grip it from the top where possible.

    Just to let you know, though, I have never had a device break by taking of the shield. Just like anything, it's sometimes more a finess game than a strength one.
    Thanks. I don't have one yet, but have been debating on getting one. I may end up getting just a 'holster' case. Not too keen on sticking something on my phone.
  13.    #13  
    Any further questions?
  14. MoonKS's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    #14  
    Can a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD be reapplied? I thought I could do a good job but mine looks horrid after 18 hours. I didn't know if I could try and reapply or if it would just be better to start over from scratch.

    Thanks,

    Moon
  15. #15  
    Thanks for the info and tips Pogey!

    I installed the Zagg product last night. (on the front only. I have not done the back yet) I have no bubbles or lint under the skin. All of the holes line up perfectly.
    The problem I see, is that it appears to be just slightly too big for the phone. It is overhanging on the sides by a very small amount. However, it is enough to feel and this over-hanging part is not attached to the phone. I'm thinking that it will eventually peel up. Anybody else have this issue?
    I would rather have the skin about a millimeter short all the way around!
    Your thoughts?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonKS View Post
    Can a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD be reapplied? I thought I could do a good job but mine looks horrid after 18 hours. I didn't know if I could try and reapply or if it would just be better to start over from scratch.

    Thanks,

    Moon
    Trying again could work, but since Zagg Shields have a lifetime warranty, it would be best to pick up a new one. If you do attempt to put it back on, you CANNOT overly stretch it or else it will look like unto a kid wearing a overly large shirt. No Pre should be put through that.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
    Thanks for the info and tips Pogey!

    I installed the Zagg product last night. (on the front only. I have not done the back yet) I have no bubbles or lint under the skin. All of the holes line up perfectly.
    The problem I see, is that it appears to be just slightly too big for the phone. It is overhanging on the sides by a very small amount. However, it is enough to feel and this over-hanging part is not attached to the phone. I'm thinking that it will eventually peel up. Anybody else have this issue?
    I would rather have the skin about a millimeter short all the way around!
    Your thoughts?
    A lot depends on how you apply the corners. You can actually get the sides on without having them hang. You actually need to stretch the corners into place and hold them there for a minute or two and they will stay.

    You can also cut them if you have already applied the Sheild, just be careful to not get finger prints on the sticky side when applying the new cut edge.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    A lot depends on how you apply the corners. You can actually get the sides on without having them hang. You actually need to stretch the corners into place and hold them there for a minute or two and they will stay.

    You can also cut them if you have already applied the Sheild, just be careful to not get finger prints on the sticky side when applying the new cut edge.

    It's not the corners! The corners are fine. The problem is the long straight sides between the corners!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
    It's not the corners! The corners are fine. The problem is the long straight sides between the corners!
    Wow, I didn't have any issues with those. Did you let the shield dry before you put the sides down? It is definitely possible that the shield you received could have been a bad cut.
  20. #20  
    Yeah I bought the InvisiShield, tried to apply it; and it did not go very well. I followed the directions exactly and it still did not stick correctly. The sides especially would not stick; and I ran out of the spray before even getting to the back. Now I'm wondering if it is even worth it to buy a new one or different one. I do wish the Pre had that smudge-proof coating that the 3GS has though...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions