• Ghost Shield

7 5.88%
  • .... I like scratched up phones.

18 15.13%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Thanks for the write-up.
    I received my Phantom Skinz in the mail today. $12.47 for two complete sets and lifetime warranty. Any experience with the install on PS?
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by T-PAiN View Post
    Yeah I bought the InvisiShield, tried to apply it; and it did not go very well. I followed the directions exactly and it still did not stick correctly. The sides especially would not stick; and I ran out of the spray before even getting to the back. Now I'm wondering if it is even worth it to buy a new one or different one. I do wish the Pre had that smudge-proof coating that the 3GS has though...
    The sides are definitley tricky. Sometimes I wait for it to dry completely before I stick them on. I just installed one for a guy at work, and everything seems fine. There's no doubt that it requires patience that even Job would admire.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by 72guy View Post
    Thanks for the write-up.
    I received my Phantom Skinz in the mail today. $12.47 for two complete sets and lifetime warranty. Any experience with the install on PS?
    Just one. Same basic install techniques work. Only issue I saw with the Phantom products was glare/light refraction. It creates a rainbow effect when you are in brightly lit areas. It was a little annoying at first, but after a bit, I didn't notice it.

Also, the Pre one looks a bit odd in the shape. Just me, but I would prefer to have shorter corner pieces than longer ones.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 06/18/2009 at 03:58 PM.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Sending my zagg shield back. the shield is just a little too big and over hangs. Love zagg though have 4 other devices that have shields with no issues
    Hey pogey, good write up! I've also installed over half a dozen IS in the past, including the Pre.

If you can edit your OP, can you also add this tip?

Since you'll need quite a bit of solution to keep your fingers wet as well as the shield itself, you can easily triple the available solution: simply empty the bottle into a container and refill the bottle again with water, twice.

This tip was given by IS support; they claim you don't need a whole lot of solution (it's neutral detergent) but you do need a lot of liquid to get a proper install done.

I've also found that once the shield sets in (usually past 20 minutes) it's too late to remove it for a reinstall, you might as well take advantage of the free replacement warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonKS View Post
    Can a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD be reapplied? I thought I could do a good job but mine looks horrid after 18 hours. I didn't know if I could try and reapply or if it would just be better to start over from scratch.

Thanks,

Moon
    I actually did reapply mine about 20 minutes into the drying process. I had already started blow drying and everything, but I just couldn't stand the look of it. It didn't come off easily, but off it came, and - aside from some slight imperfections from the paper towel I used to dry the adhesive side off a bit - I couldn't be happier!
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Hey pogey, good write up! I've also installed over half a dozen IS in the past, including the Pre.

If you can edit your OP, can you also add this tip?

Since you'll need quite a bit of solution to keep your fingers wet as well as the shield itself, you can easily triple the available solution: simply empty the bottle into a container and refill the bottle again with water, twice.

This tip was given by IS support; they claim you don't need a whole lot of solution (it's neutral detergent) but you do need a lot of liquid to get a proper install done.

I've also found that once the shield sets in (usually past 20 minutes) it's too late to remove it for a reinstall, you might as well take advantage of the free replacement warranty.
    Thanks for the tip. It has been added under Install.
    I just picked up a Touchstone charger and the requisite replacement back cover.

I've noticed that the Touchstone back cover has a (nice) rubberized texture. Just wondering if these protective skins work when applied to rubberized surfaces? Or should I just get a front-only shield now?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    There were some questions earlier about re-applying the shield, so I thought I'd point this out again.

I just installed a shield (not IS, but a "Body Shield" or something) on a friend's Pre and it was a pain. First, the skin itself was not flexible as IS and didn't feel as smooth. It also had a weird color or tint when looked at an angle, I'm not sure.

Either way, the point is we tried (well, I did, he was freaking out ) to reinstall it and it wasn't even 10 minutes yet and the shield was set (specially since I dry it up pretty good with both the squeegee and a lint-free towel), the skin started to stretch, even with careful and slow movements.

Luckily the set he bought had two shields, so I just removed and installed the new one. 10 minutes later, his Pre and the shield looked nice and tight -if you don't mind the weird tint.
    Last edited by Carioca_FL; 06/19/2009 at 05:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    There are so many experiences and preferences, it's hard to base my own decision off everyone's experiences. I've used InvisibleShield with my iPhone 3G before and it was great if applied and taken cared properly. But I'm curious about BodyGuardz and BestSkinsEver.

Has anyone tried all three skins on a Palm Pre that would like to post a review?
    I'm not posting a full review, but after having installed both IS and bodyguardz, I can say that IS both feels nice and installs easier (if you follow ALL directions not only on their site/manual but also online and in this thread).

It's usually overlooked that IS's parent company has a patent on this shields and they were originally used in the military, protecting helicopter blades.

These other brands are just similar in application, but they're nowhere near as durable.
    I just bought this at Best Buy today and it's going back!. I was completely unprepared for what a mess this is and how difficult it would be. The amount of fluid needed is scary around an electronic device. I applied the back first to try it out. Went all wrong, fit was no good, adhesive kept sticking so hard that you can't position the shield. Whole thing is a bad joke and it's going back. $30 for this kind of experience is terrible. End users should not try to install one of these things; something will get broken.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I have used Invisible Shields on 6 other devices (I swear by them now), the Pre is definitely the trickiest to apply. It actually fits and aligns perfectly fine on the edges like it's factory applied, but the center button and the mic holes are somewhat off, although the earpiece hole on top is perfectly fine.

One thing I learned to do to keep the bubbles to minimum is to use the squeegee to force the shield down at an angle, instead of just sticking the entire thing on like you would with a sticker. Oh, and don't worry about "electronics getting wet", consumer electronics are more waterproof than most people thought, unless you drop them into the toilet or empty a 2L bottle of coke on them, they will be fine. Before you apply the shield, you may want to use rubbing alcohol to wipe the device as well.

The spray that came with my shield was actually a huge bottle, it's like the size of a test tube. All my previous shields only came with lipstick size bottles. I only used slightly less than 1/2 of this giant bottle anyway.
    Last edited by cl191; 06/19/2009 at 09:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    Thanks. I don't have one yet, but have been debating on getting one. I may end up getting just a 'holster' case. Not too keen on sticking something on my phone.
    You shouldn't worry about applying the InvisibleSHIELD...it's a really nice accessory for you phone. I've applied them to multiple phones (5, to be exact) and iPods. There is no residue if you decide to take it off, which is amazing.

I would definitely recommend the InvisibleSHIELD...but like it was stated above, do it when you're well rested and in a good mood, because it does take a bit of patience.
    When I see comments like "it didn't look good so I cleaned it up with some paper towel" or "it was such a mess", it really reinforces my opinion that people simply don't research enough, get frustrated during the install and end up saying "ahh, fs*ck it" and do a sloppy job.

Take your time and it'll come out nice.
    It is NOT extremely hard.
    The more you do it, the better you get -so use their replacement warranty.
    The phone came with plastic on the face. I cut the tab off and it has been fine for a week now.

But I do not expect it to last too much longer as it was not made for that. I purchased the $25 hard case from Best Buy that has the belt clip holster thingy, but I don't like the way it feels when it slides open now (too bulky). I will probably end up getting some sort of shield to put on it instead.
    Last edited by jf1081; 06/19/2009 at 11:37 PM.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by etarina View Post
    I just picked up a Touchstone charger and the requisite replacement back cover.

I've noticed that the Touchstone back cover has a (nice) rubberized texture. Just wondering if these protective skins work when applied to rubberized surfaces? Or should I just get a front-only shield now?

thanks
    It actually works just fine, and stays well. My only concern was charging and the heat that sometimes comes from using the touchstone. I haven't had any issues yet.

On a weird note, you can actually put several pieces of paper in between your phone and touchstone and it will still charge.
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jf1081 View Post
    The phone came with plastic on the face. I cut the tab off and it has been fine for a week now.

But I do not expect it to last too much longer as it was not made for that. I purchased the $25 hard case from Best Buy that has the belt clip holster thingy, but I don't like the way it feels when it slides open now (too bulky). I will probably end up getting some sort of shield to put on it instead.
    The only thing I could see needing on top of the shield is a ruberized case for shock absorbing. I have yet to find the perfect one though, and I am usually very careful with my phones, so I have not yet needed a case.
    I've actually dropped a few devices that, thankfully, had the shield and even though it wasn't often a hard fall (usually from my lap), the shield really pays itself many times over.
    Global Posts
    381 Global Posts
    to keep the protector stuck to the phone, I suggest putting saran wrap around the phone after installing it. Your'e suppose to leave the phone sitting for 12-24 hours, just leave the saran wrap around it, tightly, and it puts the corners down great, I have found. I did this on my Instinct and my Curve.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast