Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    It's prefect for the nightstand, do your last minute sms/email/random crap on the internet and just throw the phone on to the touchstone when you are done, don't need to fish the charger cable or anything. Then the next morning, alarm goes off on the pre and you just pick the it up, don't have to worry about pulling the cable and damaging the plug...which I've have done on my nokia n810 that I used to use as an alarm clock prior to the pre.

Now if there's a way to turn the screen off while it's on the touchstone.....
    I agree 100% with the last 4 posts, I was on my way back to the Sprint store to return mine until I actually used it. Aside from sheer convenience, it's the intangible advantages that are keeping it on my desk. One thing I love is that even if you dont have it plugged in, it serves as a holder if you wanna watch videos or browse the web without holding it up to your face. I actually bring it with me when I go out with my laptop because it suctions on to the base and is just so freakin' cool to have as an accessory. There is probably no actual evidence of this but it actually seems as if the ringer and alarm is louder on it too.
    I had one of these shipped to my local Sprint store and got it today for a 25% discount and am loving it already. I can see another one in my future for the office. The only thing I'm not liking is the chime it makes when it starts to charge, and I am having trouble finding the perfect place for it.
    I got the Touchstone and the matte back from a place called fommer. Never dealt with them before, but they claimed to have them in stock and they accept PayPal for which I had some credit. I plan on placing an Invisible Shield on my new matte back. Does anyone know if the heat generated by the Touchstone will melt the Invisible Shield as some claim will happen? Also, the fact that there is no way to turn off the screen really concerns me. Perhaps the rumored upcoming firmware update will solve this issue.
  5. TC3
    I'm also using 2 Touchstones (home and work.) I also put a charger in my car, but haven't had a need for it as of yet. I do agree they should be less expensive and I'm sure with time, they will be. It's become habit that when I sit down at my desk, I instinctively set the Pre on the TS. It's handy, ready to use and kept charged regardless of how much use it gets.

It might seem a simply thing, but after you're used to the TS - plugging in a cable (especially considering how PITA the micro USB door is) seems archaic. Also, due to the location of the USB port, trying to use the phone while cabled is difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by cl191 View Post
    It's prefect for the nightstand, do your last minute sms/email/random crap on the internet and just throw the phone on to the touchstone when you are done, don't need to fish the charger cable or anything. Then the next morning, alarm goes off on the pre and you just pick it up,
    This. Exactly this. I don't have a USB port in my bedroom, so I'd need to get an AC adapter anyway. With the Touchstone I just set the phone on top of the device and it starts charging. No need to mess with the USB cover and plugging the cable in right side up and worrying about accidentally forcing it in wrong. If I get a call during the night it defaults to speakerphone mode, or I can just pick it up like it was an ordinary handset -- without worrying about pulling the cable out of the wall or the phone.

I actually have a bottle of Liquid Paper in my office -- an office without a typewriter or even a real printer since I never use paper anymore. What do I use it for? Putting a dot on cable connectors so I know which side is up when I am plugging them in. Don't need to worry about that with the Touchstone.
    Update...so I've started using it and I do think it's pretty cool to just set your phone on it and viola it's charging! But again my biggest complaint is that for $70 it's too pricey or at a minimum you should receive a spare USB cable and AC adapter, that would be worth $70. Even at $56 it's a stretch. Cool product though and I'm sure other manufactures will emulate it soon. If anyone is interested in buying mine let me know as I will more than likely be returning everything to the store before the 30 day period is up. Just too many bugs with the phone for me to keep it. I need more PDA functionality that actually works.!
    I just received mine for about 50 bucks and I am still worried about the heat that it generates while its charging. The reason this concerns me are all the reports of screen splotchiness. I have the perfect Pre and I don't want to ruin it! Also, I hate the fact that the screen cannot be turned off while on the Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Amazon has it for 41.99. Thats why i bought it I want to mount it in my car for navigation purposes.
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    As someone who has a TS and wants about 3 more, let me explain...[*]The "trap" door on the Pre scares some of us who are prone to breaking things
    Amen and seconded. I'm hoping that someone makes a replacement for it. Maybe something that actually plugs into the MicroUSB port?

Quote Originally Posted by zacqueishasmith@yahoo.com View Post
    Amazon has it for 41.99. Thats why i bought it I want to mount it in my car for navigation purposes.
    I'd love to see one that's car-specific. All it would really need is a clip to secure it for when you slam on the brakes, etc. Maybe even just a clip that can be secured to a normal TS?
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by zacqueishasmith@yahoo.com View Post
    The car is the only reason I would want one... No neeed for it in the house or office I have a usb cabel conneced to my computer and to an outlet and one to computer at work. As for car it be perfect for mounting just 70 bucks is pricy if I can pick it up for 41.99 including battery cover I will go for that.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    The car is the only reason I would want one... No neeed for it in the house or office I have a usb cabel conneced to my computer and to an outlet and one to computer at work. As for car it be perfect for mounting just 70 bucks is pricy if I can pick it up for 41.99 including battery cover I will go for that.
    I dont mind plugging it in with the regular charger either but sprint nav really sucks your battery so I want it mounted in my car and for 41.99 with free shipping I jumped on it .
    Been using my home touchstone for a couple of days now - It really goes the extra distance toward making my Pre into a proper home phone. Being able to make a call on the speakerphone - which is excellent quality, and doesn't require me to lean 6 inches away from the phone to be heard - is an excellent feature. The fact that it acts just like a normal home phone would when I lift it off the touchstone is a very nice touch to an already attractive package. The clock view, IMHO, is great as well.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
    The utter convenience of it makes it worth the cost. Plus it is freaking cool. That and the fact that the charging port cover is a pain to open.

I want another but will not pay the full cost. I do agree $70 is too much but the $55 I paid for the original was a little easier to swallow. You can find them cheaper as people have indicated.

Now I just need to find an additional cord and plug.
  15.    #55  
    Okay all i broke down and bought the touchstone. my touch stone story is here

Quote Originally Posted by Thetaman View Post
    The utter convenience of it makes it worth the cost. Plus it is freaking cool. That and the fact that the charging port cover is a pain to open.

I want another but will not pay the full cost. I do agree $70 is too much but the $55 I paid for the original was a little easier to swallow. You can find them cheaper as people have indicated.

Now I just need to find an additional cord and plug.
    for 70 bucks you would think everything would be included.
    Last edited by jack87; 07/21/2009 at 11:27 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123