Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    Yes, I bought one from the sprint store but I am returning it. I got the oem palm car charger from best buy this afternoon and it works like a charm. $29.99 but its worth it and it seems to be very good quality. If your gonna run a touchstone, I would stick with the palm car charger as the sprint one is at its limits running the ts. I even have my doubts about the sprint charger lasting if charging the phone via usb port.
    so the one at best buy... is it the exact same charger as the one listed in the precentral store?
    http://store.precentral.net/palm-veh.../5A47A4229.htm

and also, those negative comments left about it, (see comments under product listing)... would you say you're not experiencing any of those?
    i got sprint cheap charger, it only works when i turn off the screen and plug it in after, but even that it takes couple try sometimes.. oh well i got it for free
    Quote Originally Posted by vutha View Post
    Don't want to jack this thread but I thought you guys should know, I also bought this car charger from Sprint and if you plug both the charger and the AUX cable you will get a horrible static sound coming out of your speakers. I'm not sure if its the charger or the phone itself but be aware that you will not be able to play music while charging.
    the noise is from the car, not the phone. I use to have a portable dvd player i'd take on trips and it'd do the same thing when I charged it through the cig lighter.
    Based upon my observation, and my own charger(s), for the Sprint charger to kick in, turn OFF the screen first (simply tapping the upper right power button), plug in the SPrint Micro USB charger, then give it 3-4 seconds, then it will charge.

From there, you can use Pandora, Nav, talk on the phone, etc etc
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Does it say "pre" on the end of it? Does it state what the power rating is ie: 5v/500a or 5v/1000a? I see some "oem" charges on ebay that look similar and say they are for the pre but I suspect they are for other sprint phones and will not work properly.
    I actually use a Nyko iPod charger which works great...you have to supply the USB cable since the Nyko comes with the iPod cable but I have no issues using it to charge my Pre, Kindle and iPod Touch in the car.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I also got mine off ebay from someone in Cambridge so this must be the same person. Inside of the mini usb it is very different from the one that came with the phone. The ebay one had more plastic in the mini connector. It did not have two cuts for lack of a better word in the top portion inside the plug that make the leads inside accessible. I had him send a replacement. I will be able to tell just looking at the mini usb plug if it will work. if you stop by the guys house in Cambridge say hi for me!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    so the one at best buy... is it the exact same charger as the one listed in the precentral store?
    http://store.precentral.net/palm-veh.../5A47A4229.htm

and also, those negative comments left about it, (see comments under product listing)... would you say you're not experiencing any of those?
    There are 2 different models of oem palm charger out there. One of them (which is the one best buy sells) comes with an adapter for phones like the centro. The other is the same charger, but I don't think it includes the extra adapter. Both models of palms oem car chargers have the same 1a output. IDK why there are some negative comments saying it doesn't work or charge sufficiently, but the one I got from BB works perfectly with my touchstone. Heck, there are even negative reviews on BB saying it won't work with the pre, but I can tell you it does and I personally am not experiencing any issues.
    I bought my car charger also from ebay. what I have found that if the phone is on (meaning screensaver) then the phone will not recognize the charger. If u put it to the lock mode where the screen is off locked/sleep mode and plug it in then the phone recognizes the charger and charges the phone.... this is my experience with it I hope this helps....
    I bought the "official" pre car charger from sprint for 21.00 ( I had some discount from buying several accessories at once. It's the one that glows yellow/green. It works great. My wife and I use it often.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    I bought the "official" pre car charger from sprint for 21.00 ( I had some discount from buying several accessories at once. It's the one that glows yellow/green. It works great. My wife and I use it often.
    I also purchased the same one, but it cost $34. It works great and charges my phone quickly and easily.
    Ok I have a Pre Car Charger and I have a Treo Pro Car charger. All the specs on the little sticker are the same, (Input DC 11.5-16v Output 5v/0.85a)

However the model numbers are totally different

Pre Charger Model: KPS200BPre/PVX8930 states "for use with Palm Micro USB Devices">works!

Treo Pro: KPS200BMCU Rev b. and states "for use with Micro USB Devices">does NOT work!

I'm pissed because I ordered another Pre car Charger off Ebay for 6.99 and specifically asked this guy what does the sticker show. He never responded and took my chances. Dum I know. Not only does it not work, (same as the Treo Pro charger). The prong is sliding off the tip already when I pulled it out.

Had planned on taking the $30 Pre charger back to Sprint, (had lost it then ordered one on Ebay then found it afterwards).

So much for that idea. Learn from me. Ask what the sticker says before u order any Sprint OEM's off Ebay. I'm stuck with 3 Car chargers in which 1 works for both the Pre and the Pro, (the charger that says Palm).

By the way I was wondering if anyone can confirm the USB cable provides 17% more using car USB adapter then the Pre Car Charger. I want to keep my Pre charged as well as my Ipod I have hooked up in my car so ordered a dual USB adapter hopingto kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Most of the dual-usb car chargers I've seen don't go higher than 500mA. The one I have can't charge my Pre when I connect the Touchstone to it, but it will charge it when I connect the micro USB directly to the Pre. I want to find a dual (or 4 outlet) usb car adapter (like this one, but able to deliver more current: DealExtreme: $6.50 USB 4-port Car Adapter)

This retractable usb cable seems like it has a micro usb connection, so I might get another as a spare: DealExtreme: $2.39 Retractable USB Charging Cable for NDS Lite (OEM)

I guess I'll have to stick w/ the Monoprice usb charger or this one (if it is indeed 1amp): DealExtreme: $2.58 Universal USB Power Car Adapter (1000mA)
    Last edited by rogerkang; 06/28/2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: adding additional detail
    I have the palm vehicle charger and it seems to work great. It charges when using the Nav for sure, but unsure if it does it with the Nav and Pandora. One annoying thing though (its a huge possibility) but when I turn my signal, the phone would play the tone of unplugging from the battery. But other than that, its pretty nice
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    Based upon my observation, and my own charger(s), for the Sprint charger to kick in, turn OFF the screen first (simply tapping the upper right power button), plug in the SPrint Micro USB charger, then give it 3-4 seconds, then it will charge.
    This is good advice.

I'm using a Motorola rapid charger (PN:SPN5328A) and when I plug it in it will sometimes work, sometimes not.

however, If I follow trim81's instructions it seems to always work.

(I'm having the same problem with my Motorola car charger too [I will test this out later])

Thanks trim81!
    I have the car charger that I used with my Treo Pro that I purchased from the Sprint Store... it works fine.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I tried getting the $1 Monoprice car/USB adapter and was highly disappointed. The phone would show that it was charging, but with Nav running (and nothing else, screen turned off) the phone was still losing batter power. Well, it was worth trying for $1 but if my battery was still going to drain quickly on a 2 hour trip, its not exactly even worth having the charger.

I'm looking at the Sprint OEM chargers on E-Bay and Amazon. $10 isn't too bad, but I'm concerned that the small difference in current ratings (0.85A vs 1A) may end up with the same issue when using Nav & Music.

I wonder if the official Palm version will come down in price. $32 is stupid.
    I purchased a car charger on ebay which stated it was for the pre, it does not work, informed the seller, they sent me another one, which also does not charge the pre.

In my troubleshooting i found that my wife's Samsung Rant uses the same connector, so i tried her Sprint OEM branded car charger and it charges the Pre every time. And the eBay purchased Chargers also charge her Rant, so we've swapped car chargers. Also her AC Chargers work fine with the Pre.

Sprint OEM Car Charger (Yellow Oval)
    Model: KPS200BMCU
    Input: DC 11.5-16v
    Output 5v / 0.85a
    For use with Micro-USB devices

Both Ebay chargers only say MOT-V8/V9, these do not charge the Pre at all. I don't have a touchstone so i cannot comment on that device.
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    I have a Sprint branded car charger and the packaging doesn't mention the Pre at all. It says, "Palm Compatible Micro-USB Vehicle Charger. For use with all Palm Micro-USB Devices".
    Same here.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Thanks for the tips everyone, but I think my 2nd Sprint Pre Charger is toast. My launch day Pre is perfect, but the Sprint chargers are troubling.
    The Sprint charger I purchased launch day, didn’t even make it until 4:00 PM…launch day. I picked up the Pre then charged it for a while on the charger as I was on the road the entire day…and the charger stopped working. If I pulled the charger out of the power socket, I would see the lightning bolt and hear the chimes, but the phone would not charge. I went back to the same store where I purchased the Pre & Charger (SPCS Corporate Store) and they ripped open a new package and I was on my way.

Today, same thing happened again. Charging fine, but then after I stepped out of the car for a while, then back in…surprise, it would not charge. I tried trim81’s tip in my car and my wife’s and no power. At home, I tested the Pre with Touchstone and Palm USB charging cable and the Pre will charge. Conclusion, SPCS branded charger is unreliable.

Will be going back to the SPCS store tomorrow and hoping for a resolution. On launch day, the floor manager cut open the charger package, put the charger in the bag and I was off…wonder if they’ll give me static for not having the plastic blister pack.

BTW: do the SPCS stores sell the Palm VPA?

FYI: Charger specs:
    Yellow Oval Sprint Car Charger
    Model: KPS200BPRE/PVX8930
    Input: DC 11.5-16v
    Output 5v / 0.85a
    For use with Palm Micro-USB devices
    Last edited by 7zero; 07/02/2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spacing
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    check the marketplace here on precentral, i have guaranteed working pre chargers . oem sprint.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123