Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I have the Sprint car charger but I won't fit the Touchstones that I have.

The packaging even says its for the Pre
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vutha View Post
    Don't want to jack this thread but I thought you guys should know, I also bought this car charger from Sprint and if you plug both the charger and the AUX cable you will get a horrible static sound coming out of your speakers. I'm not sure if its the charger or the phone itself but be aware that you will not be able to play music while charging.
    It's definitely your car. The sound is perfect in my car while charging and using the AUX cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by cj774 View Post
    I have the Sprint car charger but I won't fit the Touchstones that I have.

The packaging even says its for the Pre
    If you want it to fit the touchstone, you need to shave the top of the plug a little bit. Ijust a razor blade to take 1mm off of the top and it works great.

- Garrett
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TechFirstAid View Post
    Does it say "palm" near the micro usb end, maybe embossed in the rubber? I was told it did. I bought the palm oem car charger to get me by but I am thinking of just getting a usb adapter from monoprice like this:

For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories

If anyone tries an adapter like the one from monoprice and finds that it works with the Pre. Please let me know. Thanks!
    Last edited by kbohman; 06/16/2009 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Wanted to make my question more generic.
    So using .85a when the Palm one is 1.0a is fine?
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    You have a ground loop in your car.. It can be rectified by using a ground loop isolator.
    Ahh thanks- will try this out!
    Quote Originally Posted by NM08SRT8 View Post
    So using .85a when the Palm one is 1.0a is fine?
    Yes s Sprint sold me the .85a version and it works great. I can run Sprint Nav while listening to Pandora and it still charges my Pre!
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Yes s Sprint sold me the .85a version and it works great. I can run Sprint Nav while listening to Pandora and it still charges my Pre!
    Still, even so, I wouldn't trust Sprint knowing how little they know about anything. Hell, you heard about my horror story about a technician and my phone, right?
    Is there a 1.0A Sprint car charger? Are all the coiled ones with the sprint logo .85A chargers/
    I found the Sprint Palm Car Charger on eBay for like 10 bucks w/ shpng. ($31.99 in store)

NEW OEM Sprint Palm Pre CAR CHARGER Micro USB - eBay (item 260426701858 end time Jul-10-09 15:42:41 PDT)

Would you trust these? Any cautions about buying these types of things from eBay? Price is cheap enough to take the risk? Legit?
    It does say pre on the car charger on the little sticker. I also bought one from ebay and it did not work because it did not say pre one the charger.
    The one you mentioned in yout thread is the only VPC/VPA being sold in Sprint corporate retail stores for use with the Palm Pre. This VPC/VPA is also compatible with the Palm Pro as well as the Palm 800w.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    i have the sprrint car charger connected to the TS and the charger gets very hot and occasionally seems to cycle on and off. Anyone else notice this?
  14.    #34  
    Just get the usb/cigarette adapter from monoprice
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Bought one off ebay and it does not work. Not sure this is the same one you found.This is a sprint model with the light oval on top. Light goes on nothing happens with phone. tried several outlets and several cars no luck.
    I have sprint car chargers for Pre for sale in the marketplace, personally tested on my Pre. $10 shipped
    my sprint car charger just arrived from ebay. Weird tho, they sent me 2 chargers, (in 2 separate boxes) I checked and I only got charged for 1. Their mistake I guess. I'm going outside in a little to check them out. any info people would like to know about them?
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    my sprint car charger just arrived from ebay. Weird tho, they sent me 2 chargers, (in 2 separate boxes) I checked and I only got charged for 1. Their mistake I guess. I'm going outside in a little to check them out. any info people would like to know about them?
    Let us know how they work boston_ant. I got one from the same seller and it definitely IS NOT THE SAME AS THE ONE THE SPRINT STORES SELL. It's a different part number but apparently the same voltage. Mine worked for about 10 seconds and is now dead!
    Quote Originally Posted by moe300 View Post
    Let us know how they work boston_ant. I got one from the same seller and it definitely IS NOT THE SAME AS THE ONE THE SPRINT STORES SELL. It's a different part number but apparently the same voltage. Mine worked for about 10 seconds and is now dead!
    ok so i went out to test them on just the phone, (not the touchstone) initially just to make sure they're weren't defective to begin with. First charger lit up and charged the Pre fine. Second one not so much. The charger lit up, but there was no reaction from the phone. So I took that one out and put the first one back in, now the first one isn't working either. Checked both chargers over and over and got nothing. Don't know what to make of this. Pre's battery was at 5%, but that shouldn't matter. Obviously its not my car because it initially charged one of the chargers. Are these things junk or is there something I'm missing? They are the Sprint car chargers for Palm... Input: DC 11.5-16V Output: 5V/0.85A

Edit: just saw your post Moe... yeah, I'd say the same thing happened to mine, worked for a sec then nothing. So did you go ahead and buy the one from the actual sprint store? I really feel like driving over to cambridge, (15 mins) and showing up at that guys door... <:{
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    ok so i went out to test them on just the phone, (not the touchstone) initially just to make sure they're weren't defective to begin with. First charger lit up and charged the Pre fine. Second one not so much. The charger lit up, but there was no reaction from the phone. So I took that one out and put the first one back in, now the first one isn't working either. Checked both chargers over and over and got nothing. Don't know what to make of this. Pre's battery was at 5%, but that shouldn't matter. Obviously its not my car because it initially charged one of the chargers. Are these things junk or is there something I'm missing? They are the Sprint car chargers for Palm... Input: DC 11.5-16V Output: 5V/0.85A

Edit: just saw your post Moe... yeah, I'd say the same thing happened to mine, worked for a sec then nothing. So did you go ahead and buy the one from the actual sprint store? I really feel like driving over to cambridge, (15 mins) and showing up at that guys door... <:{
    Yes, I bought one from the sprint store but I am returning it. I got the oem palm car charger from best buy this afternoon and it works like a charm. $29.99 but its worth it and it seems to be very good quality. If your gonna run a touchstone, I would stick with the palm car charger as the sprint one is at its limits running the ts. I even have my doubts about the sprint charger lasting if charging the phone via usb port.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast