1.    #1  
    I was thinking about getting a mount for my new Pre and nothing seemed more exciting and convenient then a Touchstone Car Mount. So I ordered the Pro Clip Custom mount for my car. I used a Uni-Bit to drill a hole in the top of the clip so I could run the power cable through cleanly and just ziptied at the bottom. I attached the Touchstone with 3M velcro which holds very well. Initial experience with the magnetic strength is great even through bumps, turns, and heavy braking. It is strong enough to slide the keyboard up and type a quick "k" (although I am not recommending this) I do have to "pinch" the phone closed instead of just pressing from the top which causes it to fall. I am using the sprint car charger and it works great, you just have to shave the plug down with a razor knife. I will be modifying this shortly when I have another spare 10 minutes (which is how much time this project took) to hardwire the touchstone and free up my power source. Check out the pictures and let me know if you have any questions.
    Frank's Site - Touch Stone Car Mount
    "We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes non-work."
    How's the viewing angle?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    That is ridiculously cool! I want one!
    When I get my Pre next week, I will be getting 2 touchstones - one for my bedroom, and one for my office. It would great to be able to have a touchstone charger for my car as well - especially one that appears to be such a great holder as well. That would make my life so much easier.
  4.    #4  
    At first I thought it was going to be a little harsh as it is slightly angled but it is actually just about perfect... I will be using it with GPS today for a 2 hour drive so I will see how the works out with that.. I am a little worried about glares and such but we will see.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    this is interesting because as far as i know the touchstone will not worked when plugged usb into a computer, or with the sprint car charger accessory. Its only recomended for an AC outlet.

Might i suggest reversing the touchstone too so the phone is facing up to you while driving. I also imagine that the touchstone itself can create enough suction to just stick on a flat spot on the dash.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Rs View Post
    this is interesting because as far as i know the touchstone will not worked when plugged usb into a computer, or with the sprint car charger accessory. Its only recomended for an AC outlet.

Might i suggest reversing the touchstone too so the phone is facing up to you while driving. I also imagine that the touchstone itself can create enough suction to just stick on a flat spot on the dash.

I thought the same thing about the AC Outlet but it seems to be working so far. .. I originally had the touchstone reversed and it created a terrible viewing angle (completely unusable), its way better this way... The touchstone itself can not create nearly enough suction to stick to the dash, one turn or bump and the pre would be a goner for sure. Dashes tend to get very dusty very fast..
    Yeah, Velcro was a good idea. You can get that industrial strength stuff and it will hold through just about anything. I had considered buying one and modifying the car charger plug so that it fit into the touchstone, but I was worried it would not work due to voltage/current requirements. Sounds like it's working pretty good for you though, so I might have to give this project some consideration.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    A post in the PRE ACCESSORIES thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...its-alive.html
    Quote Originally Posted by sjjones View Post
    A post in the PRE ACCESSORIES thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...its-alive.html
    That was me.

Yeah, I tested using velcro instead of double sided tape & found that by nature, the velcro had a wobble to it & nothing I could do would alleviate it. Even the strongest velcro wiggles.
    Ohh, nice, didn't see that. Sorry Frank, I actually think his looks a little better in terms of the mounting position. Although I still like the idea of Velcro better than double-sided tape, but I guess I'd have to try it first to see how it felt.
    One question about the ProClips... looking at your pictures and the pictures for my vehicle (2007 Ford F-150), it seems like these clips can get in the way of the air-conditioning vents or other dash controls. Is this an issue, or just the way it looks in the picture? Because I live in Texas, and this time of year I need every vent open for blasting the AC. I'd hate to lose one just for a mount.
    Any concerns about to the Touchstone after heating up while the car is parked in the sun?

Also is Sprint selling the TS without the back cover? I can't find stock anywhere.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Made my touchstone into a carstone also. Had to dremmel some on the sprint car charger to make it fit. One interesting note was when I went to best buy to get the extra touchstone and told them what I was doing they said their sprint rep in the store was saying ONLY use the palm car charger. Funny when I bought my pre at sprint store, they were saying ONLY use sprint car charger. What happened to honesty and integrity on the way to profit?
    Hey Frank thanks a lot, I think I'm going to do this also! One question, I'm having a hard time determining the holes you drilled in the mount as to make it look so smooth. Can you explain this part? Thanks!
    I will be doing something like this as well. I picked up a CarCharger extension that has a 5v1Amp USB port . This is just what the AC charger puts out. I have already used a standard Standard to Mini with a Mini to Micro Adapter and it worked fine.

I'm going out of town right now for a few weeks so didn't want to order anything in yet.But as soon as I get back I'll get right on it . I like that mount but need to see where it sits for both my Van and Jeep as I need to find a way to switch it back and forth and don't want to buy 2.

You can Preorder different sets right here at the store or go t Palm. They have everyting separate or a few different packages. One I wish I would have known about is the 2 Stones ,AC,USB and Back . Looks like now all I need is the Extra Stone
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Pretty spiffy work, for sure.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Hey Frank thanks a lot, I think I'm going to do this also! One question, I'm having a hard time determining the holes you drilled in the mount as to make it look so smooth. Can you explain this part? Thanks!
    I just drilled a hole in the top of the clip big enough to run the wire through.

The other posters mount is very clean and def good work for sure and seems to work well for him... Now this would not work for me as I have frequent passengers for one and I also use GPS a lot so keeping it in view with out turning my head is important. I choose the velcro so i can unplug the touchstone and use it inside (a tip for applying velcro.. wipe of the area well, take a lighter and burn the sticky side of it before applying).

About the air vent/ dash controls... it only blocks my 4 way switch but its still accessible(although not important anyway) ... it does block the air vent a little but I can still feel the air from it and don't feel like it takes away the vent.
    I'm gonna place that bracket on the side of the middle console. Then my Pre can sit on the Touchstone.....face up.....or atleast at it's natural angle.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!