Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you have successfully used the Touchstone with a 3rd party power adapter (wall or car charger) post it here.

I have confirmed that the monoprice 1 amp AC and Car power adapters do not work with the Touchstone. I have a feeling they are rated incorrectly.

Working:
    Motorola SPN5400A OEM car charger (5v @ 850mA) (Works for me)
    Palm Treo 800w charger (5v @ 1 amp)
    Sprint Palm car charger (5v @ 1 amp) (Needs to be shaved)
    Sprint Palm wall charger (5v @ 1 amp)
    Sprint Sanyo Pro 200 car charger (5v @ 1 amp) (Needs to be shaved)
    Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger (5v @ ?) (Need cable)
    Official Palm Pre Car Charger (5v @ 1 amp)
    Amazon Kindle 2 Charger (5v @ 1 amp)
    Sedio Hi-Output wall charger (5v @ 1 amp) (Needs to be shaved)
    Motorola 89143N Loop Vehicle Charger (5v @ 850mA)
    Motorola P513 VPA Micro USB High Performance Loop Car Charger (5v @ 850mA)
    Sprint HTC Touch charger (5v @ ?) (Works only after shorting pins 2 and 3 together)

Not Working:
    Monoprice 1 amp AC and Car power adapters ***on/off dance (Working for some, might be changed)
    Belkin micro auto charger
    Seidio's "High Output" car charger
    Jawbone AC Adapter (5V @ 550 mA) ***Won't start
    Motorola Travel AC Charger (SPN5185B) (5V @ 550 mA) ***Won't start
    Motorola Rapid Travel Charger (SPN5202B aka CH710) (5v @ 850 mA) *** Erratic on/off behavior
    Motorola Mini USB Car Adapter (SPN5401A) *** Erratic on/off behavior
    RocketFish Mobile 'MICRO USB A/C TRAVEL CHARGER' (Model RF-MIC90)
    Samsung Rant micro USB (5v @ 700mA) *** Erratic on/off behavior
    Last edited by NickDG; 08/20/2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Updating List
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Nick, I think it is something else. I have a charger that is rated correctly and will charge through the USB port. All say 5v, 1000ma +/- 5%. Something else appears to be going on here. Thanks for creating a supported list. I'll use the ones I have as wall adapters, but I guess I'll hold off on another Touchstone until we get a cheap charger that works or hopefully someone develops a better TS with battery recharge or USB hub.

Some needs to crack open Palm's AC charger and cable so we can see what's going on here.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Nick, I think it is something else. I have a charger that is rated correctly and will charge through the USB port. All say 5v, 1000ma +/- 5%. Something else appears to be going on here. Thanks for creating a supported list. I'll use the ones I have as wall adapters, but I guess I'll hold off on another Touchstone until we get a cheap charger that works or hopefully someone develops a better TS with battery recharge or USB hub.

Some needs to crack open Palm's AC charger and cable so we can see what's going on here.
    Does your 1000ma adapter work with the touchstone or just the USB port?

So far the only thing that has worked for me is the Palm AC adapter that came with the Pre.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Nothing works with the TS except the Palm Charger. Tried other palm chargers but have to use Palm cable until I shave one to fit. Can't believe it's the cable causing the problem, but I'll let someone else figure that out.

I'm off to sleep. Spent too much time making ringtones and finding a decent wallpaper tonight. I've got a cool nighttime wallpaper. Wish you could have it rotate photos based on location or time of day. Sounds like a cool hack to me.

Peace
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    My Palm Treo 800w charger seems to work with the touchstone
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    I cant get my Belkin micro auto charger to work with the touchstone. Its rated at 1Amp and 5V output.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by creativemeat View Post
    I cant get my Belkin micro auto charger to work with the touchstone. Its rated at 1Amp and 5V output.
    Thanks. From what I have read the Sprint Car charger works with the Touchstone. (With some shaving)

I would like some confirmation though.
    I can confirm that the sprint car charger does work with the touchstone. I just went out today and bought it. I was hesitant to pick one up and cut into the cable to make it fit the touchstone and not have it work. Well it does work and works well. All you need to do is shave 1mm off from the top of the plug and it will fit into the touchstone perfectly. I just used a new razor blade and it cut like butter.

- Garrett
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwp View Post
    I can confirm that the sprint car charger does work with the touchstone. I just went out today and bought it. I was hesitant to pick one up and cut into the cable to make it fit the touchstone and not have it work. Well it does work and works well. All you need to do is shave 1mm off from the top of the plug and it will fit into the touchstone perfectly. I just used a new razor blade and it cut like butter.

- Garrett

Does yours read 5v, .85amps?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Tried using a surge protector I bought from Staples that has two USB charging ports. I work with many different mobile deivces and I use this mostly to charge up Blackberries when working on them. It also works with my pre-Pre Centro and the Palm USB Treo cable. I used the Palm Pre cable from USB Port to the Touchstone.

No Joy.

I also tried using the charger from a new Mifi 2200 Mobile Hotspot card which is Micro USB. The end of the cable itself is too thick and I am not inclined to "shave it down" right now.

This is a second Touchstone for the office and I not sure what to do next. Do not really feel like spending $40 more for the palm charger on top of the $70 for the touchstone.

What are the official specs for the Touchstone to work?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Ive ordered one of these adapters to try with the touchstone in my car. Its 2amps so I'm hoping it will work. Ill give an update once I get it.

www2.dealextreme.com:8080/details.dx/sku.25177
    Sprint branded wall charger works...BECAREFUL!!! U MUST BUY THE ONE THAT HAS PALM WRITTEN ON THE FRONT. a rep. sold me a regurlar miroUSB wall charger & it didnt work. t

the good news is NO TRIMMING TO FIT THE STONE...IT FITS PREFECT!
    ohio state SUCKS!! & michigan state will never measure up!
    p.s. lakers SUCK too!! GO PISTONS!!
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    My sprint branded sanyo pro 200 car charger works well after shaving a bit off. Its rated at 5v 850 ma. It charges about 1% per min.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I can confirm that the Motorola SPN5400A OEM car charger works with the Touchstone. No modification needed, the plug fits right inside the Touchstone. I picked one up on eBay for $7 shipped. I can not find the specs but it is labeled as a "rapid charger".
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    I can confirm that the Motorola SPN5400A OEM car charger works with the Touchstone. No modification needed, the plug fits right inside the Touchstone. I picked one up on eBay for $7 shipped. I can not find the specs but it is labeled as a "rapid charger".

I posted this earlier in another thread this car charger works great and is cheap!!!
    Does that Motorola car charger also work with charging the Pre via its microUSB port?
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Yes the Motorola SPN5400A works with the Touchstone and the USB port.
    is the Motorola rated at .85A or 1A just wondering if we should find one that is 1A to speed up charging?

Also, for those that are using the sprint one, ebay lists a few different ones, which sprint logo one are you using? are they .85A or 1A?

thanks!

can't wait to get this in the car..
    I find it strange that the Touchstone only works with certain chargers even though the chargers meet the same specs as the Palm wall charger.

I have a Griffin auto charger that I bought for my iPod. I can use it for any USB device since it has a usb slot on it rather than an attached cable. I'm going to see if it works even though it only outputs 5.2VDC, 500 mA (which I think is the same output as a USB port on a computer).
    The sprint charger I have that states Palm on the front of the package is 5V .850A. I was hesitant to open the packaging and shave the end of the connector a little bit to fit the touchstone. I decided to take a chance and do it anyway. It does in fact work and works well. The only downside is that it is 30 dollars. But I needed something asap. You only need to shave the top of the connector about 1mm if not less. Does not take much to fit into the touchstone.

- Garrett
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast