Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    For some reason I get the on/off dance with the monoprice car adapter and so do many others on this forum. You must of got a good one! Quality control is definitely not good on those little guys.

I will update the first post.
    Nick, you have done a really nice job with this thread.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    NickDG, thanks for taking the time to compile this list! Also, it would help a lot if you would update the "working list" with model numbers and power ratings. Thanks again!
    Done.

I am keeping the Motorola charger since it hasn't failed me. There is some drainage during Sprint NAV but it is minimal. Not enough for me to go out and get another charger.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  3.    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Nick, you have done a really nice job with this thread.
    Thanks.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meballard View Post
    I just try to find a smooth part of the car to place the Touchstone on (such as a wood panel, smooth plastic section, metallic section, things like that). In cars that I've used that didn't have that I usually look for a recessed spot, which also usually works pretty well.
    Cool, so the adhesive back is enough to hold it for you?

For some reason I get the on/off dance with the monoprice car adapter and so do many others on this forum. You must of got a good one! Quality control is definitely not good on those little guys.

I will update the first post.
    Thanks, I'll report back when I've got it mounted and I can try pandora/nav etc.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub2027 View Post
    Cool, so the adhesive back is enough to hold it for you?
    On smooth surfaces, yes, the adhesive back holds plenty well (even on only partial sections of the adhesive back). On those smaller surfaces, it's easier to accidentally knock loose, but it's rare that the action of driving actually moves it.

In the recessed non-smooth options, it's mostly the weight of the unit which keeps it in place.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    False alarm, sorry. After leaving it on there a few minutes and making calls etc, it started cycling charging, not charging. Bummer.
  7.    #167  
    Quote Originally Posted by meballard View Post
    On smooth surfaces, yes, the adhesive back holds plenty well (even on only partial sections of the adhesive back). On those smaller surfaces, it's easier to accidentally knock loose, but it's rare that the action of driving actually moves it.

In the recessed non-smooth options, it's mostly the weight of the unit which keeps it in place.
    Since my dash has a golf ball type surface I had to use double sided tape. Not worried since it is not going to move ever.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Just wanted to add that I just purchased my SEIDIO wall charger from the PreCentral store and it does NOT work in the TouchStone charger. It is doing the "charger dance".

Model listed as: LUNA-TC(F)

That is the 1 Amp output model. I have reset the phone, messed with the pins, and tried with other units (more than one of us here have one). I don't know what changed, but I can't return it as it is now nicely shaven.

Update: After resetting and unplugging another umpteen times, now it works. Don't know what the difference is. Might be charging very close to specs...

Update 2: OK, although it seems that Solitaire 0.9.9 causes quite a few issues, the problems has begun again. I don't think this charger is quite up to spec. It may also be that my Pre is a bit more picky, but it only works consistently with Palm products. I think I have a traitor here.
    Last edited by gbobman; 08/31/2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Updates
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    The Touchstone doesn't like heat it seems. I just got in my car after it was sitting in the sun all day and I was getting the on/off dance. As soon as it cooled down it worked again.

If it isn't one thing it's another.
    Not a surprise. The TS is sealed and has no means of ventilation. Since it was designed for home use in a temperature controlled environment, this is not a problem. This is one of the reasons I abandoned the thought of using it in my car.
    Quote Originally Posted by cubefx View Post
    I think that on/off problem with TS is car specific. My Palm branded 5V 1000mA do not work properly in any of my cars.
    You might want to have your car's electrical system checked out. [free at a NTB or equivalent] The alternator may not be putting out its rated voltage level.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
    You might want to have your car's electrical system checked out. [free at a NTB or equivalent] The alternator may not be putting out its rated voltage level.
    Scangauge II (OBD Scanner tool) in one car and Voltage gauge in the other. Both cars have over 13V when running. Problem was solved by replacing PALM car charger. Here is my post about how I solved my problem. Using it daily for a few weeks now and Touchstone NEVER failed even with all the heat here in Florida.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...olved-car.html

CUBE
    Anti iPhone wallpapers for your Palm Pre
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...allpapers.html

Palm Pre X-Ray App
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...amera-app.html

“Smile! It's irritates people.”
    If you have successfully used the Touchstone with a 3rd party power adapter (wall or car charger) post it here.

I have confirmed that the monoprice 1 amp AC and Car power adapters do not work with the Touchstone. I have a feeling they are rated incorrectly.

Working:
    Motorola SPN5400A OEM car charger (5v @ 850mA) (Works for me)
    Palm Treo 800w charger (5v @ 1 amp)
    Sprint Palm car charger (5v @ 1 amp) (Needs to be shaved)
    Sprint Palm wall charger (5v @ 1 amp)
    Sprint Sanyo Pro 200 car charger (5v @ 1 amp) (Needs to be shaved)
    Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger (5v @ ?) (Need cable)
    Official Palm Pre Car Charger (5v @ 1 amp)
    Amazon Kindle 2 Charger (5v @ 1 amp)
    Sedio Hi-Output wall charger (5v @ 1 amp) (Needs to be shaved)
    Motorola 89143N Loop Vehicle Charger (5v @ 850mA)
    Motorola P513 VPA Micro USB High Performance Loop Car Charger (5v @ 850mA)
    Sprint HTC Touch charger (5v @ ?) (Works only after shorting pins 2 and 3 together)

Not Working:
    Monoprice 1 amp AC and Car power adapters ***on/off dance (Working for some, might be changed)
    Belkin micro auto charger
    Seidio's "High Output" car charger
    Jawbone AC Adapter (5V @ 550 mA) ***Won't start
    Motorola Travel AC Charger (SPN5185B) (5V @ 550 mA) ***Won't start
    Motorola Rapid Travel Charger (SPN5202B aka CH710) (5v @ 850 mA) *** Erratic on/off behavior
    Motorola Mini USB Car Adapter (SPN5401A) *** Erratic on/off behavior
    RocketFish Mobile 'MICRO USB A/C TRAVEL CHARGER' (Model RF-MIC90)
    Samsung Rant micro USB (5v @ 700mA) *** Erratic on/off behavior
    FYI

The Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger that is listed on the first post is rated 5V @ 1amp (according to the manual).

Also, it's actual product name is Griffin iTrip Auto Universal
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I like the touch stone back more than the charger it self...
    I need to purchase an AC to DC adapter so I can use my car charger in a regular wall outlet. Should this particular one work? It is rated at 12V DC @ 1A.

Amazon.com: SEM-AC/DC: AC Wall Plug to 12V DC Auto Plug Adapter: Cell Phones & Service

If there is a better one that you know works, please let me know. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Looking to go to best buy and get a charger this afternoon anyone have any suggestions on one to purchase. Don't want to drop a lot of money on it but not looking forward to trying a bunch out either. I have a silverado if that helps?? Hoping to avoid the on/off dance too!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I have been using Sprint NAV a lot lately and have noticed the SPN5400A can't keep up. I lost about 10-15% per hour. I was streaming Pandora as well.

I might give the official Palm Pre charger a shot just to compare. Besides this problem I am perfectly happy with the Motorola charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Looking to go to best buy and get a charger this afternoon anyone have any suggestions on one to purchase. Don't want to drop a lot of money on it but not looking forward to trying a bunch out either. I have a silverado if that helps?? Hoping to avoid the on/off dance too!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I suggest the palm brand charger. Works just fine in my '04 GMC Envoy.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Well picked up a palm charger and it does the charging dance!! Thinking i might try the fix posted by cube??

Any other suggestion??
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pchrist View Post
    Well picked up a palm charger and it does the charging dance!! Thinking i might try the fix posted by cube??

Any other suggestion??
    Which model of palm charger did you get? Best Buy had some old stock of Palm chargers with a different part number. As I recall, they were questionable as to whether they would work with a TS. Can you confirm that you got the 3453WW charger?
    Just wanted to add that I just purchased my SEIDIO wall charger from the PreCentral store and it does NOT work in the TouchStone charger. It is doing the "charger dance".

Model listed as: LUNA-TC(F)

That is the 1 Amp output model.
    I have one of these also. It works, but inconsistently. Sometimes changing the orientation of the Pre from portrait to landscape will stop the dinging for a little while. I can't recommend this charger for Touchstone users. It should be moved from the Working: list to the Not Working: list.