Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Picked up the Palm charger at Best Buy and it's been error free so far. I'll need to see how it handles the heat of the day tomorrow.
    BEST THREAD EVAR!!!

Anyway, enough of that. I just finished setting up a Sprint Palm car charger with a Touchstone. Works perfectly. It took a Touchstone, of course, the charger, a Dremel tool with sanding drum and 5 minutes. It's a thing of beauty.
  3.    #143  
    I have been using Sprint NAV a lot lately and have noticed the SPN5400A can't keep up. I lost about 10-15% per hour. I was streaming Pandora as well.

I might give the official Palm Pre charger a shot just to compare. Besides this problem I am perfectly happy with the Motorola charger.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by froggersloth View Post
    BEST THREAD EVAR!!!

Anyway, enough of that. I just finished setting up a Sprint Palm car charger with a Touchstone. Works perfectly. It took a Touchstone, of course, the charger, a Dremel tool with sanding drum and 5 minutes. It's a thing of beauty.
    I wouldn't use that sprint charger with the Touchstone... Its not if it will fry your ts and charger, its WHEN.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I have been using Sprint NAV a lot lately and have noticed the SPN5400A can't keep up. I lost about 10-15% per hour. I was streaming Pandora as well.

I might give the official Palm Pre charger a shot just to compare. Besides this problem I am perfectly happy with the Motorola charger.
    If yours charges like mine using the Palm charger, it will charge no matter what you are running, just at a slower rate.
    So, it seems like the Palm Vehicle Power Charger is the way to go...guess I will have to pick two up. I already tried the Seidio (fail) and the monoprice (fail), and I need a sure-thing. I dont even have Touchstone in my vehicle yet, but I figure it will be the best bet.

NickDG, did you get yours yet?

Oh, and I wonder if the on/off thing with the other charger was its chip modulating power because of the ambient heat? The chip probably has a fail-safe that does this to keep it from doing real harm.
    guys.. save yourself the hassle.. the palm official car charger works beautifully and is pretty slim, not the huge sprint logo, just a small cigarette lighter.

plus, the plus is it's not on a coil, so I was able to tuck the extra cable away into the dash on both the bmw and audi.. Looks pretty custom.

Best buy has it for $27
    Palm - Vehicle Charger - 3437WW
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    I think that on/off problem with TS is car specific. My Palm branded 5V 1000mA do not work properly in any of my cars.
    As an update, the Palm charger (3437WW) has held up for three days in the Austin heat without a single issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartphone View Post
    guys.. save yourself the hassle.. the palm official car charger works beautifully and is pretty slim, not the huge sprint logo, just a small cigarette lighter.

plus, the plus is it's not on a coil, so I was able to tuck the extra cable away into the dash on both the bmw and audi.. Looks pretty custom.

Best buy has it for $27
    Palm - Vehicle Charger - 3437WW
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegan99 View Post
    As an update, the Palm charger (3437WW) has held up for three days in the Austin heat without a single issue.
    Ohk...I guess I will get two of those. Its just the price...but I guess you have to pay for a piece of mind!
  10.    #150  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    So, it seems like the Palm Vehicle Power Charger is the way to go...guess I will have to pick two up. I already tried the Seidio (fail) and the monoprice (fail), and I need a sure-thing. I dont even have Touchstone in my vehicle yet, but I figure it will be the best bet.

NickDG, did you get yours yet?

Oh, and I wonder if the on/off thing with the other charger was its chip modulating power because of the ambient heat? The chip probably has a fail-safe that does this to keep it from doing real harm.
    I haven't gotten mine yet. I will probably just pick one up at BB.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    As to on/off with car and ts, it is for me clearly a function of not only the charger but the car and even WHICH power port in the car I use and the load on the cars electrical system. Used both Palm charger and Sprint charger and sometimes it would happen sometimes not. Finally decided to go without TS but really missed it in the car. The TS is just darn perfect for car use.

Well, I'm lucky as my Toyota has an AC plug right in the dash, so I have bought an extra wall charger and that works perfectly. The power to the AC plug is obviously cleaner and more consistent and/or, the TS is not as sensitive when power coming that way. I do have to use a plug adapter to get it to fit well since there is a stupid little door that covers the AC plug. Planning on removing that.

In any case, no on/off problems at all with this method -- as long as i have the plug pushed in all the way. Did have the on/off once but noticed I had not pushed the plug in properly.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    So which is better, the 3437ww or 3453ww?
    Quote Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
    So which is better, the 3437ww or 3453ww?
    This is a very good question so I created a separate thread for it here!
    Last edited by sjamie; 07/28/2009 at 09:32 PM.
    If you have successfully used the Touchstone with a 3rd party power adapter (wall or car charger) post it here.

I have confirmed that the monoprice 1 amp AC and Car power adapters do not work with the Touchstone. I have a feeling they are rated incorrectly.

Working:
    Motorola SPN5400A OEM car charger (Works for me)
    Palm Treo 800w charger
    Sprint Palm car charger (Needs to be shaved)
    Sprint Palm wall charger
    Sprint Sanyo Pro 200 car charger (Needs to be shaved)
    Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger (Need cable)
    Official Palm Pre Car Charger
    Amazon Kindle 2 Charger
    Sedio Hi-Output wall charger (Needs to be shaved)
    Motorola 89143N Loop Vehicle Charger
    Motorola P513 VPA Micro USB High Performance Loop Car Charger
    Sprint HTC Touch charger (Works only after shorting pins 2 and 3 together)

Not Working:
    Monoprice 1 amp AC and Car power adapters
    Belkin micro auto charger
    Seidio's "High Output" car charger
    Jawbone AC Adapter (5V @ 550 mA) ***Won't start
    Motorola Travel AC Charger (SPN5185B) (5V @ 550 mA) ***Won't start
    Motorola Rapid Travel Charger (SPN5202B aka CH710) (5v @ 850 mA) *** Erratic on/off behavior
    Motorola Mini USB Car Adapter (SPN5401A) *** Erratic on/off behavior
    RocketFish Mobile 'MICRO USB A/C TRAVEL CHARGER' (Model RF-MIC90)
    NickDG, thanks for taking the time to compile this list! Also, it would help a lot if you would update the "working list" with model numbers and power ratings. Thanks again!

I am sorry to hear the SPN5400A can't keep up with using Pandora & SprintNav simultaneously. Anyone out there getting positive results with this charger and Pandora/SprintNav?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Update - I just opened up one of the cheap $1.80 Monoprice USB 1000ma (supposedly) AC power adapters and bridged USB pins 2 and 3 right on the circuit board with a blob of solder. Took less than 2 minutes from start to finish once the soldering iron heated up. Faster, easier, and cleaner than jacking up a bunch of cables.

I saw the same effect others have seen when doing a cable mod - prior to this, plugging in the phone took about 5 seconds before a charging indication/notification (tone plus icon change) showed up. Now, I get an instantaneous charging notification just like the OEM charger.

Not sure if this means it will work with the Touchstone this way, and I don't have a Touchstone to work with, but maybe someone does and can try it. I just modded the other two cheap wall adapters from Monoprice I have the same way and all are working identically.
    Last edited by Arclight; 07/29/2009 at 07:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Samsung Rant micro USB (5v @ 700mA) wall charger fits into the touchstone but the Pre does the re-connect dance, so no workie.

P.S. My wifes Palm Pre Wall charger does not work with the Touchstone, but mine does. I'm beginning to think the Palm wall charger is borderline. I want a charger that puts out more than 1000mA and works with the Touchstone.
    Last edited by Polen; 08/03/2009 at 10:05 PM.
    -Polen
    History: StarTAC(Sprint) -> Sony Ericson(AT&T) -> Samsung SPH-i500 Palm(Sprint) -> Mogul(Sprint) -> Touch(Sprint) -> Pre(Sprint)
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    EDIT: After using it for a few minutes it started doing an charge/no charge cycle.

I noticed the first post says the Touchstone will not work with the Monoprice chargers. Well I just got mine, tested it out and it worked no problem. Haven't done any serious testing, but it started charging instantly and I watched it go from 80 to 81%. Car wasn't even running.

Car: Pontiac Solstice
    Charger: For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories
    Cable: Palm cable that came with phone (will test monoprice cable later)

Now how are you guys mounting the touchstone to your car so it stays?
    Last edited by jdub2027; 08/22/2009 at 11:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub2027 View Post
    I just try to find a smooth part of the car to place the Touchstone on (such as a wood panel, smooth plastic section, metallic section, things like that). In cars that I've used that didn't have that I usually look for a recessed spot, which also usually works pretty well.
  20.    #160  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub2027 View Post
    I noticed the first post says the Touchstone will not work with the Monoprice chargers. Well I just got mine, tested it out and it worked no problem. Haven't done any serious testing, but it started charging instantly and I watched it go from 80 to 81%. Car wasn't even running.

Car: Pontiac Solstice
    Charger: For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories
    Cable: Palm cable that came with phone (will test monoprice cable later)

For some reason I get the on/off dance with the monoprice car adapter and so do many others on this forum. You must of got a good one! Quality control is definitely not good on those little guys.

I will update the first post.