Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoteriX View Post
    - Make sure the plug "clicks" into the Touchstone base.
    - Make sure you have the matte finish rear battery cover on your Pre that came with the Touchstone
    - Make sure the Pre is seated correctly on the Touchstone (positioning has to be precise, although the magnets will help guide the phone into place)
    Also be sure that the foam adhesive thingy is on the bottom and the word PALM is facing the phone. I set mine upside down the first time I tried it thinking the sticky foam was supposed to go between the phone and TS.

HTH
    I did all of that...

My other phone was perfect and I had a problem with the antena they said something was defective. I got this one... The top half is loose and has a dead pixel after 30 min. Now this stupid charger doesnt work.

Not to happy with this palm deal. The phone rocks but if it doesnt work, well whats the point?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Well my $10 sprint branded car charger died on me today, and in a moment of curiosity/anger I opened it up (with a ball-peened hammer). For those who wondered what was making this unit work with the touchstone, take a peek! There is a chip in there with a fraking heatsink!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    I did a test on my way home from work. I used the Motorola SPN5400A OEM car charger with the Touchstone. The battery started at 75%. I played Pandora and used Sprint Navigation just in case I didn't know my way home. In 15 minutes the battery went from 75% to 80%. It's pretty obvious the Motorola SPN5400A is putting out an amp..
    Well I've now tried the offical sprint car charger and the Motorola SPN5400a, and both of them just give me the constant on/off back and forth thing. The only thing I can figure at this point is that my car isn't putting out enough juice. I have a Dodge Avenger and I've tried both power plugs, and get the same results from both. Fairly annoying.
    FWIW...

I wanted to locate my touchstone further away from the wall outlet, so I tried a 15 foot micro usb cable from Monoprice with the standard Palm charger and touchstone. After some grinding, it fits the touchstone fine, but I get the charging dance. These things sure are picky. I might try a 10 footer for grins.

monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=5138&seq=1&format=2
    I have a griffin power block I used for my ipod. It is rated at 1000mA but 5.2V. Will having 5.2 V screw up my pre if I use it??
    has anyone tried this charger? or am I the only one?

Amazon.com: Motorola P513 VPA Micro USB High Performance Loop Car Charger: Cell Phones & Service

It works pretty well for me.

and only about 6 bux shipped!
  9.    #109  
    The Touchstone doesn't like heat it seems. I just got in my car after it was sitting in the sun all day and I was getting the on/off dance. As soon as it cooled down it worked again.

If it isn't one thing it's another.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
    Do you guys think this wall charger will work with the Touchstone?
    Amazon.com: Palm Treo 800w Travel / Home Charger (V8): Everything Else

Thanks!
    I ordered this and tried it. The version I got does not look exactly like the picture but it's similar. Bottom line: It kind of works but I do not recommend.

There must be some sort of electrical mismatch going on because the Pre does charge but the screen is a bit spastic. Touching the screen causes multiple touches throughout the screen, which opens and closes cards. Someone recommended opening the slider first. That still did not solve the issue although it wasn't quite as spastic as initially.

Overall, it doesn't make me feel confident as to what's going on with the power supply so I'm not going to use. . The Precentral store specifically states that its 800w charger is not compatible with pre.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    I can confirm that the mini USB charger from my sprint HTC Touch works with the moto SKN6252 adapter to power touchstone. The charger is rated at 5V 1A.

HOWEVER this charger only works after shorting pins 2 and 3 in the cable together. It did not work until I stuck some small strands of wire between the 2 pins on the mini plug.

I imagine that most of the later HTC chargers would work with TS if you had the mini to micro adapter and short the pins together. Which is cool cause you can score that adapter for like 2$.
    Mine (Motolora SPN5400A) does not working, too. It shows on/off dancing.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by tlRmfj View Post
    Mine (Motolora SPN5400A) does not working, too. It shows on/off dancing.
    What car did you try it in? Just curious because my SPN5400A is working fine. I only get the on/off dance when it has been sitting in the sun and is too hot.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I bought converter to plugin my wall charger that came with Pre to touchstone in the car instead of car charger. I heard car chargers dont charge phones faster and Wall chargers do. What you guys recommend? Although there is plus point that I can sometimes use my Macbook in car and charge it through converter there is fan noise that sometimes ruin quiet drive. Is there a big difference between charging from car charger (bought at sprint store with Pre) and converter that give regular wall socket to charge through wall charger?
    Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  15.    #115  
    List has been updated. Thanks for the contributions guys.
    I filed my kindle 2 cable down a little and it fits in the touchstone! And it 'seems' to be holding it charging..... glad it worked!

edit - not holding the charge, just getting the onoffonoffonoff....but it fit! lol
    Last edited by christo1970; 07/09/2009 at 12:47 PM.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The Touchstone doesn't like heat it seems. I just got in my car after it was sitting in the sun all day and I was getting the on/off dance. As soon as it cooled down it worked again.

If it isn't one thing it's another.
    I concur with this. Mine works in the morning after car sitting in the garage all night, but dances later in the afternoon when it's been hot. LOL
    is the list on the first page still correct? is the palm car charger and cable the official way to use the touchstone in the car? or is there even an official way?
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by sambao21 View Post
    is the list on the first page still correct? is the palm car charger and cable the official way to use the touchstone in the car? or is there even an official way?
    Palm doesn't support the Touchstone with anything but the Palm AC adapter that comes with the Pre. They also don't want you using it in your car.

The list is up to date with all the info from this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    The list is up to date with all the info from this thread.
    I feel so left out, you didn't include my info about the Rocketfish adapter

On page 5...

I've also tried some different cables with my touchstone and Palm wall adapter... if anyone is interested.

The "USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male 28/24AWG Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 10ft" @ Monoprice.com ( Part# 5459 ) is what I'm using right now without issues. I had to grind it, though.

My first attempt was the 15 footer without the gold plating or ferrite core ( Part# 3898 ). It did the charge cycle dance... must have been the length and/or higher AWG.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast