Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Motorola charger only does the dance for me in '09 Camry and '07 Odyssey.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I already posted this in the other thread, but even with the cable mod the monoprice usb car and wall chargers don't work with the Touchstone. It gets further than before (on/off charging dance) but still doesn't work.
    Not to question your splicing technique, but what are the chances you modded the cable inadequately? Just checking, since it seems unlikely this simple piece of hardware (which Monoprice claims is rated for 1000mA) cannot really handle the rated current. How much trouble would it be to re-check your wire splice?

(Has it already been mentioned that plugging one of these modded cables into a PC usb port could cause trouble?)
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    The Palm Pre conforms to this standard on it's own. It will draw no more than 500 milliamps when plugged into a usb port or a USB wall adapter OR a DC car adapter.
    Wait, so if that's true, then why does it say 5V 1A on the Pre itself, underneath the battery? It seems more likely to me that the Pre's USB controller is detecting what type of USB port it is connected to (standard PC, or high power), possibly by looking at the states of the D+ and D- lines on the cable or communicating with the host controller, and then adjusts its power drain accordingly. What do you think?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Yes, the initial industry standard for USB power was and still is 5v DC, 500 milliamps...

The Palm Pre conforms to this standard on it's own. It will draw no more than 500 milliamps when plugged into a usb port or a USB wall adapter OR a DC car adapter...
    You're not taking into account the newer "fast charge" USB standard from China (that I just started reading about, myself; here's a good write-up from Summit Mico). The OEM Palm charger that comes with the Pre has the D+ and D- pins shorted, which means it complies with this newer standard. The purpose of shorting these two pins together is to identify the charger as charge only--no data--letting the device (the Pre in this case) know that it can safely draw more current than the 500mA a computer's USB port can provide.

I have confirmed that these pins are shorted on the Palm charger, but I haven't yet tried to build a circuit between my Pre and the charger to measure the actual current draw... but I assume it draws at least 850mA, and probably closer to a full amp when it sees these pins shorted. That would explain a lot of the intermittent and "oscillating" problems people are experiencing with some 3rd-party chargers that are rated above 500mA.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    I already posted this in the other thread, but even with the cable mod the monoprice usb car and wall chargers don't work with the Touchstone. It gets further than before (on/off charging dance) but still doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwood_98 View Post
    Not to question your splicing technique, but what are the chances you modded the cable inadequately? Just checking, since it seems unlikely this simple piece of hardware (which Monoprice claims is rated for 1000mA) cannot really handle the rated current. How much trouble would it be to re-check your wire splice?
    I have tested and confirmed that the center pins (D+ and D-) of the MonoPrice car charger are already shorted together internally, so shorting these wires together on the cable you plug into it is redundant, and can have no positive effect.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    GuennessX, what would you recommend that is greater than the sprint car charger(.85a) that works consistently with the touchstone? I will be using the cig lighter.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bkemp88 View Post
    GuennessX, what would you recommend that is greater than the sprint car charger(.85a) that works consistently with the touchstone? I will be using the cig lighter.
    Sorry... I don't own a Touchstone, so I can't test it out. I only posted to this thread because it covers some technical points that were common to the other charger thread I started (1000mA rating...), and I thought some here might benefit from what I have learned.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessX View Post
    I have tested and confirmed that the center pins (D+ and D-) of the MonoPrice car charger are already shorted together internally, so shorting these wires together on the cable you plug into it is redundant, and can have no positive effect.
    I was referring to the Monoprice wall charger.

I personally have used the Monoprice car charger, wall charger, and USB cables to charge and transfer data to the Pre. But I have not checked whether the data pins are shorted (on car or wall models). So I assume the Pre is drawing only 500mA with these units.

It sounds to me this shorting of the data pins is the key to making the Monoprice equipment work with the Touchstone (which I do not yet have). The stuff is clearly cheap enough to crack open and peer around. Who's got the stones to experiment?

I hypothesize that shorting the pins inside the Monoprice wall charger and connecting it to the Touchstone will work. (assume the USB cable makes a solid connection, has been filed if needed, etc). And it should work when directly plugged into the Pre, asl well.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I just received and tried today the
    Monoprice USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 6ft
    and shaved it down, and tried it with my touchstone, and would like to let you guys know that it does, indeed work! A good source of cheap cables if ya need em! (still need a power adapter for the socket, though)
    Quote Originally Posted by eerongal View Post
    I just received and tried today the
    Monoprice USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 6ft
    and shaved it down, and tried it with my touchstone, and would like to let you guys know that it does, indeed work! A good source of cheap cables if ya need em! (still need a power adapter for the socket, though)
    What charger are you using with the cable?
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    What charger are you using with the cable?

The official palm charger tha came with the phone.
    Working:
    Palm Treo 800w charger
    Sprint Palm car charger (Needs to be shaved)
    Sprint Palm wall charger
    Sprint Sanyo Pro 200 car charger (Needs to be shaved)
    Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger (Need cable)
    Official Palm Pre Car Charger
    Amazon Kindle 2 Charger
    Sedio Hi-Output wall charger (Needs to be shaved)
    Motorola 89143N Loop Vehicle Charger
    Which of these charges (if any) have been confirmed to actually charge the phone while using Pandora and Sprint Navigation simultaneously? I would like to buy 2 car chargers but I am seeing a lot of conflicting reviews.
    Last edited by sjamie; 06/23/2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: typos
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjamie View Post
    Which of these charges (if any) have been confirmed to actually charge the phone while using Pandora and Sprint Navigation simultaneously? I would like to buy 2 car chargers but I am seeing a lot of conflicting reviews.
    I'm using the Motorola 89143N Loop Vehicle Charger with the Touchstone and it increased the charge during a very short drive tonight while running Sprint Nav and streaming audio. I need to test more, but it looks like it can keep up.
    Sounds good. Please update as you test further!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    I can confirm that the oem palm charger 3437WW Palm - Micro USB Vehicle Charger for Select Palm Cell Phones - 3437WW will work with the touchstone in the car. I placed a 20min call, with the screen on the whole time and it charged at a rate of about 1% a minute.
    Based on info from the nimrods on this forum, I just bought the Kindle charger on amazon.

WARNING! The Kindle micro usb cable does NOT fit the touchtone, so you'll need a separate usb cable.

Also, with another usb cable, the AC power adapter was getting kind of warm, as well as the touchtone, so I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy about this thing as a really good long term solution.

The good news is, for $15, I guess it would make a decent travel travel, just plugging it straight into the phone micro usb port.
    my sprint palm car charger just arrived from ebay. Weird tho, they sent me 2 chargers, (in 2 separate boxes) I checked and I only got charged for 1. Their mistake I guess. I'm going outside in a little to check them out. any info people would like to know about them?
    ok so i went out to test them on just the phone, (not the touchstone) initially just to make sure they're weren't defective to begin with. First charger lit up and charged the Pre fine. Second one not so much. The charger lit up, but there was no reaction from the phone. So I took that one out and put the first one back in, now the first one isn't working either. Checked both chargers over and over and got nothing. Don't know what to make of this. Pre's battery was at 5%, but that shouldn't matter. Obviously its not my car because it initially charged one of the chargers. Are these things junk or is there something I'm missing? They are the Sprint car chargers for Palm... Input: DC 11.5-16V Output: 5V/0.85A
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
    Do you guys think this wall charger will work with the Touchstone?
    Amazon.com: Palm Treo 800w Travel / Home Charger (V8): Everything Else

Thanks!
    I tried it, figured the price point was OK. Not only does this not work (plug too big to fit in the Touchstone) when plugged directly into the Pre it makes the screen go haywire and starts launching every application in the launcher.

Oh well, looks like I'll bite the bullet and go for an official Palm charger for my 2nd Touchstone.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I bought the "Palm Vehicle Car Charger" today and ran a couple quick tests. I searched and searched this forum for good facts and numbers on which chargers work the best/quickest. Here were my results: (This is not using the touchstone)

Driving to class: (25 min drive)
    Phone on idle mostly(a couple texts and emails came through)
    Beginning 69% - Ending 88%
    = .76% a minute

Drive home from class: (25 min drive)
    Pandora running with gps nav on whole way
    Beginning 81% - Ending 85%
    = .16% a minute

Charging at idle put out real good results. Positive charge at near max task is ok. Much better than the stories I hear of people still losing battery.

Tomorrow I will be testing out the touchstone with the car charger and will post results.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast