Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhavoc View Post
    Do you guys think this wall charger will work with the Touchstone?
    Amazon.com: Palm Treo 800w Travel / Home Charger (V8): Everything Else

Thanks!
    Great question, I'm wondering the same thing. If the Treo800w is the same as the Treo Pro with regard to charging, then I would bet it will work with the Touchstone. The reason I say this is because I just bought a couple of Monoprice USB wall chargers, and while they work with the Pre connected directly, they do not work with the TS nor do they work on my wife's Treo Pro. Ergo... if the 800w and Treo Pro have the same USB charging implementation (which is probably likely) then I'm thinking it will work.

it's cheap enough that it might be worth trying.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Does anyone have and experience or feedback on the sprint palm car charger? I found this on on amazon for $2.22 that is for the palm pre and retractable.

Type "sprint palm car charger" into amazon's search. Or click below and remove the spaces

ww w.amazon. com/Palm-Sprint-Smartphone-Retractable-Charger/dp/B002D0VUCC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1245609689&sr=8-7
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I got the Palm car charger and it works fine except the Pre still loses charge with Pandora and Sprint Nav running. I read on here somewhere that it charged slowly. Can anyone confirm this?

Best Buy also had a Moto charger thag fit and worked but a different model from the one mentioned previously. Its a high yield charger. Should it be able to maintain the charge with these apps running?
    The Sedio Hi-Output wall charger does work after you shave the connector. The Sedio Hi-Output car charger does not work.

Quite frankly I don't recommend either of them because they both look like cheap crap and will probably fall apart in short order.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Motorola - Loop Vehicle Charger for Select Motorola Cell Phones - 89143N

I tried this car charger in store and it worked with the touchstone. They let me take it back to the car audio install dept and test it. I think I'll have to take my Palm charger back and see if it can supply power faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkemp88 View Post
    Does anyone have and experience or feedback on the sprint palm car charger? I found this on on amazon for $2.22 that is for the palm pre and retractable.

Type "sprint palm car charger" into amazon's search. Or click below and remove the spaces

ww w.amazon. com/Palm-Sprint-Smartphone-Retractable-Charger/dp/B002D0VUCC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1245609689&sr=8-7

I've tried one off of ebay.. and it doesn't work on the touchstone. it gives the dancing on/off chime.. it's too bad because i love the custom length.
  7.    #47  
    Original list updated.

The Motorola 89143N Loop charger looks identical to the SPN5400A.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    I find it strange that the Touchstone only works with certain chargers even though the chargers meet the same specs as the Palm wall charger.

I have a Griffin auto charger that I bought for my iPod. I can use it for any USB device since it has a usb slot on it rather than an attached cable. I'm going to see if it works even though it only outputs 5.2VDC, 500 mA (which I think is the same output as a USB port on a computer).
    WARNING NOTE: This post does not offer up any logical answer to the question "why some adapters with 1.0 AMP or higher rating do not work with the Touchstone base"?

UPDATE WE DO HAVE AN ANSWER AND I HAD LEFT THE PIECE ABOUT SHORTING PIN'S 2 AND 3 OUT OF THIS POST PREVIOUSLY.

Quote Originally Posted by gostate View Post
    I think I've found the difference between the chargers that work, and the chargers that don't. I've detailed it a separate thread in the accessories section called " USB Cable Mod for generic USB adapters and Touchstone Dock". (I'd link to it, but don't have enough posts yet)

In short, the chargers that work short pins 2 and 3 of the USB connector to communicate to the device that they can supply higher current than normal USB.

I've noted some confusion about USB Power in some of the posts on this topic. Here's a novel on USB power standards for PreCentral.net members. Hope this helps save some Pre's from destruction due to power issues!

If you look in the Touchstone manual/user guide, note that the first two diagrams indicate that you should plug the touchstone into the wall adapter, and not plug the Touchstone into the laptop USB port. The diagram showing a laptop USB port and the cable connected to the Touchstone charging base are not connected in that diagram and there is a big red X across the page. The reason for this is amperage. I'll get back to the Touchstone in a minute, but first lets look at USB power and then USB power standard conforming devices including the Pre itself.

Yes, the initial industry standard for USB power was and still is 5v DC, 500 milliamps. The terms amps and milliamps refer to current draw and 500 miliamps (.5 AMPS) is generally considered to be the maximum amount of current a USB device should draw over a USB power circuit. Almost ALL laptops are designed to conform with the 500 milliamp per USB port power standard. Therefore, each USB port on a laptop is going to have no trouble supplying 500 milliamps of 5V DC to a device plugged into it. If a laptop has 4 USB ports, it's overall power requirements calculated at the time it was designed will or should provide for 2 Amps of 5V DC plus a little padding just for USB power (as part of the machine's) overall power requirements.

The Palm Pre conforms to this standard on it's own. It will draw no more than 500 milliamps when plugged into a usb port or a USB wall adapter OR a DC car adapter. If a USB device plugged into a standard USB port for power draws more than 500 milliamps of current, the risk of damage to the source device (laptop or power adapter being the USB power source) increases. Furthermore, if a power source that your Pre or USB device is plugged into and drawing its power from becomes taxed to the point of failure , its act of failing is likely to (but not always) cause damage or even failure of your Pre or other USB device plugged into it (a spurrious spike in voltage, or current, or just unstable power being supplied to your Pre, Touchstone, or USB device).

Trust me, your Pre, Touchstone, or other USB device designed on the 5 V USB power standard would not fare well if it received a momentary burst or spike of 12 V DC or even AC power or a surge in current it did not ask for just as it's power adapter was having a heart attack.

Soon after the initial USB power standard was agreed upon it became clear that there were plenty of devices that could be manufactured based on the 5 V DC power standard but which required more current than the 500 milliamp standard. Manufacturers of these higher consumption devices adopted a secondary standard based on guidelines to prevent problems. That precautionary diagram in the front of the Touchstone manual I mentioned at the beginning of this novel is one of these requirements. Other guidelines are supplying a 5 V DC adapter for the device that could handle the higher current draw of the device.

Remembering that the Pre conforms to the 500ma standard on its own, we look at the adapter that comes with the Pre. It's a 1 AMP (1000 milliamp) AC to DC power adapter. Wasn't it nice of Palm to supply a power adapter for the device they sold you that's capable of supplying twice the amperage (current) your device needs. They're really focused on quality these days aren't they? Now we come to the Touchstone.

The Touchstone requires an additional 350 milliamps of current to do the work it does, securing your Pre and charging it. For those of you buying the Sprint DC car adapter note that 500 ma + 350 ma = 850 ma. Not much padding there, so that Sprint DC car adapter is going to be working its **** off when you slap your Pre down on the Touchstone. Hope the adapter doesnt have a heart attack!

We've all read complaints about the lack of micro USB cables or with certain Palm adapters forcing us to use the original cable that came with the Pre for multiple adapters. Apparently Palm felt it prudent to figure out how to make sure there was enough juice (current/amperage/whatever-you-want-to-call-it) available for both the Pre and the Touchstone devices needs without including a separate power adapter with the Touchstone device. To do so would have meant providing a 500 or 650 milliamp adapter with the Pre (remember padding so the adapter does not have a heart attack) and to also increase costs by includinge the needed 1.0 AMP (1000 milliamp) power adapter with the Touchstone to cover the current draw and necessary padding both devices required.

Palm's solution was to include a 1 AMP charger with the Pre and not include an adapter with the Touchstone. When you think about it, not a bad decision in all respects because they supply an adapter with the Pre that has plenty of horsepower and will likely have a very low failure rate over the long haul.

That completes todays USB Power lesson courtesy of PreCentral.net. We still have no answer as to why some adapters with the ability to provide 1.0 AMPS or 2.0 AMPS of current to USB devices do not work with the Touchstone. Doesn't make sense to me considering the combination of these two devices together draws 850 milliamps.

I suspect there is something in the electronics of these cheap (except Belkin, its not so cheap) adapters that the Touchstone base does not like. I even purchased a couple of generic 2.0 AMP cigarette lighter adapters designed for use with the iPhone or iPod. Neither one worked when plugged into the Touchstone base to charge a Pre, but they both work and power up a dozen or so other USB devices directly.
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 06/22/2009 at 06:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Strat View Post
    The Motorola OEM SPN5400A that I got through Amazon does not charge the Pre via the Touchstone for me.

I have tried two different vehicles.

When I plug the SPN5400A into the Touchstone and attach the Pre, the "Charging" indicator on the Pre kicks on and off every second or two. If volume is on, the Pre is spastically dinging the "charging" notification.

Photo of this charger is attached.

I bought my SPN5400A on eBay and it works perfectly with the Touchstone in the Car..
  10. d94
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    confirmed working: Motorola micro usb travel charger! its a tight fit but no trimming necessary!

$5.99 shipped from USA
    http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTOROLA-MicroUS...3%3A1|294%3A50

EDIT NVM..now it decided to act up..heh
    Last edited by d94; 06/22/2009 at 10:45 AM.
    palm pro > visor > m100 > visor prism > clie sl30 > zire 71 > dell X5 > toshiba E755 > clie NX70 > ipaq 2200 > Treo 700w (verizon) > Treo 700wx (sprint) > Treo 755p (sprint) > HTC Mogul > HTC Diamond > HTC Touch Pro > Pre
    Will the Kindle adapter that is listed as compatible with the touchstone also be compatible to charge the phone without the touchstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    I bought my SPN5400A on eBay and it works perfectly with the Touchstone in the Car..
    It appears that the Motorola charges are of varying quality. Can you name the vendor that the working charger came from? Mine didn't work (on/off dance).
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Preeminent View Post
    Will the Kindle adapter that is listed as compatible with the touchstone also be compatible to charge the phone without the touchstone?
    It should, I think I remember reading that. I think almost all USB chargers work, it's just a matter of how fast they charge the Pre. Though I have read of some usb chargers that don't seem to work at all.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by d94 View Post
    confirmed working: Motorola micro usb travel charger! its a tight fit but no trimming necessary!

$5.99 shipped from USA
    MOTOROLA MicroUSB Wall Travel Charger MOTO RAZR2 V9x - eBay (item 180336641357 end time Jul-11-09 13:35:09 PDT)

EDIT NVM..now it decided to act up..heh
    Is it doing the on/off charing dance?

I already posted this in the other thread, but even with the cable mod the monoprice usb car and wall chargers don't work with the Touchstone. It gets further than before (on/off charging dance) but still doesn't work.

I am hoping the Motorola charger I am getting this week will work. It seems like it is hit or miss.

Also, for people posting their car chargers can you post the vehicle you are using it in? It probably won't make a difference but it can't hurt to include it.

My car is a Lexus IS300.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preeminent View Post
    Yep, it works fine with the Pre without the Touchstone.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Has anyone gotten any detachable USB car chargers to work? The one I had for my iPod doesn't work, and I'd like to get one that I could use for both my Touchstone/Pre and my iPod.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Has anyone gotten any detachable USB car chargers to work? The one I had for my iPod doesn't work, and I'd like to get one that I could use for both my Touchstone/Pre and my iPod.
    The monoprice chargers are just USB ports with no cable.

You can try the cable mod with the iPod charger. It might do the trick.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    So, I have been creeping the forums reading and reading trying to find the fastest charging car charger that can be used with the Touchstone in a car. I feel this is the thread this question should be addressed. I am yet to find the answer for the fastest known compatible charger.

I know Nick has been keeping up with it all and running experiments. Would it be possible to not only list the working chargers, but also put them in order from fastest to slowest?

Nick(or anyone else who has tested multiple chargers), do you have an opinion on which charges quickest?
    Quote Originally Posted by bkemp88 View Post
    Nick(or anyone else who has tested multiple chargers), do you have an opinion on which charges quickest?
    The Pre can draw a maximum of 1amp at 5 volts. Therefor any of the 1000mhp / 1amp chargers will be the fastest.

Beware because some of your cheap Chinese chargers that claim to be 1amp will often be much less in reality. I would go with the Palm Car Charger which is a true 1 amp charger and it will also work with a touchstone.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    The Pre can draw a maximum of 1amp at 5 volts. Therefor any of the 1000mhp / 1amp chargers will be the fastest.

Beware because some of your cheap Chinese chargers that claim to be 1amp will often be much less in reality. I would go with the Palm Car Charger which is a true 1 amp charger and it will also work with a touchstone.
    However, the Palm car charger is slower apparently. I lost charge while on the TS and running Sprint Nav and Pandora. Trying the Moto charger from Best Buy next and will report back after I get to test it some.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast