Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    I can confirm that the touchstone runs off of this car->usb adapter (can't link yet)

Amazon.com: Griffin iTrip Universal FM Transmitter and Charger for MP3 Player ($8, good price)

Edit: Just a USB port, so still used the Palm Pre USB cable.
    I returned my Belkin micro usb car charger and purchased the official Palm usb car charger which by the way includes a charging cable. I can confirm the touchstone charges. I was getting atleast 1% every minute without using the pre. Even while using sprint nav the pre was able to charge.

One small issue. The charging tone would replay every now and again as if the phone was removed from its charger.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I think I've found the difference between the chargers that work, and the chargers that don't. I've detailed it a separate thread in the accessories section called " USB Cable Mod for generic USB adapters and Touchstone Dock". (I'd link to it, but don't have enough posts yet)

In short, the chargers that work short pins 2 and 3 of the USB connector to communicate to the device that they can supply higher current than normal USB.
    Last edited by gostate; 06/16/2009 at 09:45 PM.
  4.    #24  
    Thanks for the info gostate. This makes perfect sense.

I updated my original post with the list. Lets keep them coming.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Here is the thread with more info on what specs the charger needs to meet:
    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...63#post1685380

Basically it needs to support the USB Battery Charging Specification.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Just FYI - the Motorola SPN5400A OEM goes for about $3.75 through amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by creativemeat View Post
    One small issue. The charging tone would replay every now and again as if the phone was removed from its charger.
    Ha. Well, turns out, whenever I use my left blinker or turn on my headlights, there's an instantaneous stoppage of power to my outlet. My car's electrical wiring (or fuses?) has always been odd.
    Did we come to a conclusion that we need a car charger that does .85A vs. 1.0A
    Even if the .85A ones work, does it charge slower?

It even looks like the "sprint" car charger has different ones. ones that say they are for palm, and ones just for palm pre. Anyone know if they are different and if one is .85A vs. 1.0A?

Is the motorola recommended above .85A or 1.0A?
  9.    #29  
    I just ordered the Motorola charger from Amazon.

smartphone, gostate figured out that the charger has to be capable of telling the Pre/Touchstone that it can supply extra current. This is why some adapters aren't working even when rated at 1 amp.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I found the Sprint Palm Car Charger on eBay for like 10 bucks w/ shpng. ($31.99 in store)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-OEM-Sprint-P...3%3A1|294%3A50

Would you trust these? Any cautions about buying these types of things from eBay? Price is cheap enough to take the risk? Legit?
    Last edited by boston_ant; 06/18/2009 at 09:26 PM.
    I'm disappointed to say that Seidio's "High Output" car charger High Output Car Charger doesn't work, even though it's rated at 5V/1A. It does the "charge on, charge off" dance when used in the Touchstone.

Those using the Motorola SPN5400A, that's the one that lights up blue, right?
    Motorola Orignal SPN5400A 89143N MicroUSB High Performance Car Charger (SPN5400) at AGT Battery Supply- BatterySupplier.Com

I really hate the thought of spending $30, but if I end up trying a couple more and failing I'm up to $30 anyway.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Epic 4G -> TouchPad
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by northward View Post
    I'm disappointed to say that Seidio's "High Output" car charger High Output Car Charger doesn't work, even though it's rated at 5V/1A. It does the "charge on, charge off" dance when used in the Touchstone.

Those using the Motorola SPN5400A, that's the one that lights up blue, right?
    Motorola Orignal SPN5400A 89143N MicroUSB High Performance Car Charger (SPN5400) at AGT Battery Supply- BatterySupplier.Com

I really hate the thought of spending $30, but if I end up trying a couple more and failing I'm up to $30 anyway.
    It's 6 bucks on the link you posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    It's 6 bucks on the link you posted.
    I should've been more clear, I hate the thought of spending $30 on the Sprint branded charger.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Epic 4G -> TouchPad
    OK, I now have more chargers/wires/cords for my collection. For the car, I bought the moto SPN thingy and it did the on/off dance with Touchstone. The others I have from a variety of sources work via USB, but not Touchstone. I finally went and bought the Palm car charger. Touchstone recognizes it, but then I read it won't charge fast enough to handle Pandora and a phone call. That bites because Pandora IS my car stereo right now. I have a Sprint one on order, but I'll be having a charger garage sale soon.
    Damn. Collection of chargers? Welcome to my world. I've got the Moto 5400 on order after trying the Seidio High-Output one. I should've just bought the Sprint one in the first place.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    The Motorola OEM SPN5400A that I got through Amazon does not charge the Pre via the Touchstone for me.

I have tried two different vehicles.

When I plug the SPN5400A into the Touchstone and attach the Pre, the "Charging" indicator on the Pre kicks on and off every second or two. If volume is on, the Pre is spastically dinging the "charging" notification.

Photo of this charger is attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Strat View Post
    The Motorola OEM SPN5400A that I got through Amazon does not charge the Pre via the Touchstone for me.

I have tried two different vehicles.

When I plug the SPN5400A into the Touchstone and attach the Pre, the "Charging" indicator on the Pre kicks on and off every second or two. If volume is on, the Pre is spastically dinging the "charging" notification.

Photo of this charger is attached.
    can anyone comfirm this? was about to buy this one...
    Do you guys think this wall charger will work with the Touchstone?
    Amazon.com: Palm Treo 800w Travel / Home Charger (V8): Everything Else

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    can anyone comfirm this? was about to buy this one...
    Yes, the moto did the on/off thingy with my touchstone. I gulped and paid $30 for the Palm one at BB. It works, but remains to be seen how fast it charges.
    Kindle 2 Charger: Amazon.com: Amazon Kindle Replacement Power Adapter (fits 2nd Generation Kindle and Kindle DX): Electronics

Rated at 5V, 0.85A. Works great with the Touchstone.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast